Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

Received 10202 this afternoon, after a long running in with the loco she is now hauling her first train of five Pullman coaches with ease, only one little disappointment, one cab step was loose in the box, but, i've read other posting in this thread of others having the same problem, it will be an easy fix, all in all I'm highly delighted with this stunning model, congratulations to Kernow on producing a truly awesome model.

• RMweb Gold

My 10201 was despatched from Kernow on Monday but spent all of yesterday with DPD making its way to Birmingham but finally made its way down to Sittingbourne overnight and, at last, made its way down to the coast this afternoon. It is a fantastic piece of kit:

post-586-0-92238100-1513792366.jpg

Certainly has more character than an Amtrak SDP40F:

post-586-0-07474400-1513792431.jpg

My 10201 came with sound fitted and performed like magic straight out of the box. Compared with most sound-fitted locos that I buy the sound level was just right for me - not too loud so that it gets on your whatnot sooner than later The compressor sound though is a bit on the quiet sound for me - I like to hear the "dung, dung, dung" so hopefully that can be sorted out.

After running-in, the loco was despatched to the rear of the layout to find something to haul and, surprise, surprise, it found some weathered Tigers that arrived in the same package from Kernow:

post-586-0-47733400-1513792474.jpg

Okay, okay I know that its out-of-era but when you think of it, if 10201 survived until the Tigers arrived it would have been feasible!! So, everything coupled up, off the train went out on to the main line:

post-586-0-73294400-1513792509.jpg

Quite honestly, I think 10201 and the Tigers look good to me. I think a perfect match!!

Must also mention that the weathered Tigers straight out of the box performed much better than the first release which I had problems with derailing and uncoupling. No such problems with the latest release.

To sum it up, two great models from Kernow. Now looking forward to 10203.....

Keith

• Like 6

Just been watching this excellent YouTube video from 1957

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he3jMIemvUY

At approximately 6:30 in there's a sequence of two Bulleid diesels (looks like 10201 and 10202) on the Royal Scot - with sound too!

Nice video, shame I was not around at that time.

Hornby should watch that video to know what real chuffs sound like at speed for their TTS chips.

A Dream finally come true.

I have recieved my Bullied Diesel. Now this was ordered way back in 2010 and paid for almost as soon as they asked for up front payment. I had also specified well tracked more expensive postage.

Now I have been interested in having a model of this and other pioneer types since reading about them as a kid in 1988 in Practical Model Railways. In those days, the only 16 wheeler RTR diesels were Joeufs class 40 and a Mainline 45, both commanding high prices at the time, so the modeler of the article was feeling brave taking Joeuf bogies and sticking a Q kits resin body on them. But what an inspiration.

post-15098-0-50238200-1513876542_thumb.jpg

So here are the 4 pioneer types together (well the class 76 is not really that much of a pioneer but is like the ER equivalent in my collection).

post-15098-0-20296700-1513876646_thumb.jpg

Kernow have done a great job on the Bullied. I could repeat things said elsewhere but I,ll stick to some hopefully new observations.

1) both bogies are not the same. One has bit of pipe above one of the inner axles that runs round the back

2) cab interior lights are fitted but can only be used in DCC, for sure there is no space between the bogies to add switches like Bachmann. But they are there and I am sure most people would run the loco wanting there switched off in plain DC

3) the model is powerful cert but not as heavy as the larger Bachmann class 40. It will out haul Sir William Stanier by some margin.

4) slow and high speed running very good

5) bogie design is quite novel. They have not copied any existing RTR system out there. The powered wheel train can pitch up and down independently to the bogie sides. I suspect this is done to give correct clearance between the bogie top and lower sides. Maybe a Bachmann 40 sits a tad tall, maybe a real 40 has body pitched higher compare to the bogies, certainly novel for sure.

6) the pony wheel in each bogie can move side to side but has its pitch linked to the outer bogie frame. This can cause the wheel to lift is there it is a sudden decline transition in the track (I must replace the section that has that). No derailments though.

7) instructions talk about head code discs supplied in a bag. True the closed versions are but open versions are all pre fitted. I don,t think any other make ever supplied these pre fitted. So very nice proactive approach, but do feel (as a funny joke) there is still tiny amount of room for improvement here by having the closed ones fitted instead. They often ran with just 2 open.

8) like all other such diesels fitted with these big bogies incorporating the buffer beam in the bogie itself, there is naturally no close coupling system. I found by hazard, that I could slightly reverse the loco with a train of CCS stock, and first coupling on the coach, twists then slides up and over and uncouples. Cool An un intended automatic un coupling system.

9) the thing that strikes the eye most is that this loco is not much bigger than a class 37 but has these huge bogies. Impressive beast for sure.

10) I am not an expert on EM and P4, but there looks to be plenty of space between the outer frames to use these longer axles. Kernow's easy unclip the underside of the bogie should make it easy for some after market make to produce pre-geared and bearing fitted wheel sets that simply drop in.

An excellent model. If I had one small thought that could improve the model then it would be to add metal buffers. Look forwards to 10203. Hmmm do I add sound to my 10203???

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yes I've had notification of dispatch today also, though I ordered just before the original deadline on 31 August. It appears to have been sent Royal Mail 'standard', which I think means 1st class, so fingers crossed it comes tomorrow or Saturday.

My two have arrived and been run in. As JSpencer says, both are smooth with good slow-speed control and a good high speed. At the risk of annoying Andy York, the boxes have half-round cut outs in the lids, which makes it easier to open the box when the weighty locomotive isn’t inside. The foam bottom, sides and ends come in one folded piece, which makes it very easy to put back into the box.

Included in the bits are plain hooks to fill the buffer beam holes above the coupling and hooks with links for use where no coupling is fitted. I wish other manufacturers would do the same. Weights for the bogie come in two forms: slotted to allow for the tension lock (ready fitted) and unslotted for use where no coupling is fitted. Bogie weights! I always wondered what they were on 40s, 44s, 45s and 46s – they look like reservoirs of some kind.

The wheelset inside the pony truck has plenty of lateral movement without the truck having to move at all but the truck is designed to swivel. The pivot, however, has a rectangular slot for the fixing screw, allowing the pivot to move from side to side. I can’t help thinking that if the pivot moves to one end of the slot, it could cause trouble. Not, I hasten to add, that I have any any derailments at all.

It’s a limited edition of 1250 but there is no certificate. Probably a good thing because Kernow could run off some more in years to come if there is a demand.

Yes, metal buffers would be nice and so would sprung ones. A set of steps was loose in the box of no. 1 and I began to wonder if it’s part of the specification as I’ve read about it in some posts but all were in place on no. 2.

I’m very pleased with mine and I hope that the hydraulics are as good. Thank you, Kernow!

My 10201, as I said earlier, was despatched on late friday. It was delivered (to my neighbour as I was out) on wednesday by Royal Mail Standard. What a gorgeous model! I've only had time so far to upack it and run it back & forth over about 8 of mixed code 75 track. Only problem was getting it onto the track - so many wheels. To me it has a very strong Heljan feel about it.

Just one question. I have 2 copies of the exploded parts diagram (I believe they are identical?) Should one of these be a servicing sheet?

Stewart

My 10201, as I said earlier, was despatched on late friday. It was delivered (to my neighbour as I was out) on wednesday by Royal Mail Standard. What a gorgeous model! I've only had time so far to upack it and run it back & forth over about 8 of mixed code 75 track. Only problem was getting it onto the track - so many wheels. To me it has a very strong Heljan feel about it.

Just one question. I have 2 copies of the exploded parts diagram (I believe they are identical?) Should one of these be a servicing sheet?

Stewart

I have only one copy of the diagram. FWIW in general I fine all of the 16 wheel diesels by all makes are not the easiest locos to put on the tracks.

I have only one copy of the diagram. FWIW in general I fine all of the 16 wheel diesels by all makes are not the easiest locos to put on the tracks.

I did actually use a Hornby rerailer, but this didn't work too well over the points in my short section of track which was clear!

Stewart

Received my 10202 yesterday and a lovely model it is too. I also have a fascination for the prototype diesels and gas turbines and have bought kits or made up versions of the Ivatts, Bulleids and WR gas turbines, from Silver Fox. My Silver Fox 10201 dates from 2001 and has received a replacement chassis about 5 years ago.

The Kernow Bulleid runs very smoothly and I'm fascinated with the design of the bogie, that has the 3 axle driven wheels in a sub frame, which can turn slightly and raise or lower on inclines, while the bogie frame stays level. This allows the bogie frames to be close to the underbody, particularly under the cabs, much closer than Bachmann have achieved with the 40/44/45/46. 

I have found that both of the centre axles in the 3 axle drive, have one pick up that is not in contact with one wheel, which is mirrored on the other bogie. The pick up is present, but is flat close to the side frames on both bogies. Has anyone else got this, wanted to check as it's present on both bogies, with the same wheel.

Well I received my 10201 today just in time for crimbo and I am seriously impressed. I am confident this will be in the running for model of the year and I love the heavy solid feeling of the model which bodes well for its running qualities. I believe Kernows Bullieds have set the bar for 2018!

Now that Kernow have done both the Bullied Diesel and Well tanks, we can finally model a real world event of when these locos actually met in history:

post-15098-0-14289800-1514243170_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-93999400-1514243415_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 12

Ordered 10202 on 22nd and shipped on 23rd, still in transit due to Christmas.? Still waiting for 10201 on pre-order!!!!

Looks like they did not sell many 10202s then. A few months ago, after I paid for 10201, I gave consideration to swapping the order for 10202 on the grounds that this loco worked in the south east and pulled the Golden Arrow. I dropped the idea after finding out 10203 had done the same. Well I cannot have every loco dressed up to pull the Golden Arrow can I?

Edited by JSpencer

Just logged into my account on Kernow's website and it is showing 10202 as "allocated" and 10201 as "order pending".

I haven't had any correspondence from Kernow as of yet, but I would take that this is due to the fact that both locos are on the same order number so they are waiting for more stocks of 10201 to arrive to fulfil the order.

Just logged into my account on Kernow's website and it is showing 10202 as "allocated" and 10201 as "order pending".

I haven't had any correspondence from Kernow as of yet, but I would take that this is due to the fact that both locos are on the same order number so they are waiting for more stocks of 10201 to arrive to fulfil the order.

I am trying to figure what these actually mean. I have a VDA Van in army green that I preordered some time ago. It is now in stock, but still showing 'order pending'. In the meantime the third vehicle in the SR Birdcage set, which is not yet in stock, is showing 'allocated'.

I don't want to hit the bogies with a chisel so it looks like I am going to have to interrupt Kernow's packing by ringing them to find out. The instructions are not clear to me.

I have run in my Bulleid diesel for 15 minutes and it runs very well. The other picture shows it attached to a rake of crimson and cream Southern region coaches at our model layout at the barn in Godlingston Manor.

post-17621-0-07919900-1514408817_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-05906900-1514408868_thumb.jpg

• Like 1