Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

Your picture shows the roof yellow at one end and light sandstone ish colour to the right. My one has arrived with the yellow colour along all of the roof. Can you clarify what colour yours is yellow or sandstone ish, as I am sure you have not got one with a graded colour from one end to the other.

Just a trick of the lighting - they're all primrose yellow.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Tried that first and managed to get one in after about 15 minutes.  Then had to carefully scrape the blue-tak off the disc.  I've also tried with blue-tak on the end of a blunted cocktail stick, but I've only managed to get a couple more in after an hour.  And one of those won't go flat. I will try and get the 4th in tomorrow if my patience holds, but I don't think I'll be changing routes ay time soon ….

If it helps...I cut off the top of a cotton bud and discarded it. I then poked the flat stick end into a tin of tacky wax. I then picked up the folded route disc with the 'sticky stick' and this enabled me to poke it into the hole on the body. Bit tricky but got all done in about 20 mins.

Just a trick of the lighting - they're all primrose yellow.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks John, just been catching up on the thread, primrose yellow it is then! I think a trip into the paint shop is needed, grey or grey dirty black I feel would be better.

Cheers

Thanks John, just been catching up on the thread, primrose yellow it is then! I think a trip into the paint shop is needed, grey or grey dirty black I feel would be better.

Cheers

Mine is scheduled for a grey roof and black wheel tyres - and Hornby Dublo / Peco couplers.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Mine is scheduled for a grey roof and black wheel tyres - and Hornby Dublo / Peco couplers.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Ditto, and I think I will need to do something about dulling / dirtying the shiny silver engine block.  I have a feeling that by 1960 the original would have become very less shiny than that !!! Also considering whether to modify the bodyside window into the open position. 

Received my green 10203 this morning and first impressions leave me most impressed. After admiring the considerable detail on the loco, I test ran it on my rolling road with no issues whatsoever, running smoothly in both directions. Looking forward to doing a loaded test run with a full length train of Mk1s at Rainhill MRC tomorrow night. With the weight of the loco, I am sure that 10203 will have no problems lifting the load. 

The jury is out however on the primrose roof. I will decide over the next few weeks if I can learn to like/accept it, weather it down a bit or just arrange for a visit to the paint shop to have the later grey colour applied.

As it is, the loco certainly adds a dash of colour to  the scene dominated with diesels traditionally sporting yellow panels on their nose rather than on their roof!

All in all, well done Kernow, it has been worth the wait.

Received my green 10203 this morning and first impressions leave me most impressed. After admiring the considerable detail on the loco, I test ran it on my rolling road with no issues whatsoever, running smoothly in both directions. Looking forward to doing a loaded test run with a full length train of Mk1s at Rainhill MRC tomorrow night. With the weight of the loco, I am sure that 10203 will have no problems lifting the load. 

The jury is out however on the primrose roof. I will decide over the next few weeks if I can learn to like/accept it, weather it down a bit or just arrange for a visit to the paint shop to have the later grey colour applied.

As it is, the loco certainly adds a dash of colour to  the scene dominated with diesels traditionally sporting yellow panels on their nose rather than on their roof!

Might be a rather clever ploy by Mr T and his team.  Release the primrose roofed version first, which a load of folk have paid for and which have probably already have been banked, then release a green version with a grey roof, and maybe a weathered end of life WCML version, so that folk get tempted with another !!!   

• RMweb Premium

Just trying to change the headcode discs on mine. Easy enough to get the white discs off, but has anyone thought up a simple way to plug the closed discs in?  They're so small I'm struggling to work out a way to do this.

Thanks

I assume you are aware that there are three different types of disc, with differently aligned prongs for left side, right side and centre locations. Once I realised this, mine slotted in easily.

Your picture shows the roof yellow at one end and light sandstone ish colour to the right. My one has arrived with the yellow colour along all of the roof. Can you clarify what colour yours is yellow or sandstone ish, as I am sure you have not got one with a graded colour from one end to the other.

Just the lighting. An impromptu shot on a mobile phone when it was on my small test track on my desk under my desk lamp. Roof is a uniform primrose yellow. 

Tried that first and managed to get one in after about 15 minutes.  Then had to carefully scrape the blue-tak off the disc.  I've also tried with blue-tak on the end of a blunted cocktail stick, but I've only managed to get a couple more in after an hour.  And one of those won't go flat. I will try and get the 4th in tomorrow if my patience holds, but I don't think I'll be changing routes ay time soon ….

I might not be much help because they don’t give me much trouble. I found the most difficult part was removing the white left and right middle discs because of the proximity of the lamp irons but even that wasn’t too bad. Just in case you aren’t aware (please forgive me if you are), the left, right and middle discs are shaped differently to suit the curved front.

I hold each disc under my finger and thumb nails and place it loosely into the hole, holding the loco front upwards. Once it seems to be in the right place and not crooked, I shove it in firmly with the back of my finger nail. Good luck with it!

Might be a rather clever ploy by Mr T and his team.  Release the primrose roofed version first, which a load of folk have paid for and which have probably already have been banked, then release a green version with a grey roof, and maybe a weathered end of life WCML version, so that folk get tempted with another !!!   

Funny you should say that. The same thought occurred to me. Green version with a grey roof and nose doors.

• RMweb Gold

I assume you are aware that there are three different types of disc, with differently aligned prongs for left side, right side and centre locations. Once I realised this, mine slotted in easily.

Thanks - I might not have spotted that.  

My own beast has landed and very fetching it is too. Will I be able to resist another...…..

10203 is currently trundling away happily on the rolling road and the headcodes will be dealt with this evening; Exeter on one end, Bournemouth on the other.

Advised of despatch at 1207 yesterday, arrived just after 0830 this morning - Royal Mail.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

In case it’s of interest, here is 10203 in green with its bits attached and the LM Region express passenger headcode. Behind is Bachmann’s 10000 in the same livery. I prefer the Bachmann rendering of the green, which is not to say that it’s any more accurate or that the Kernow version is anything but good. The Bachmann roof is more like a yellow cream than a startling primrose.

Unlike John Isherwood (cctransuk) I am going to leave the tyre walls white. When it’s done well, as it is here, the wheels don’t look as if they’re turning and at speed the locomotive seems almost to float. The effect is mesmerising. Each to his own.

Another superb locomotive from Kernow. Many thanks!

I haven’t filled the hole in the front buffer beam yet. I was cutting the swallowtail off the front coupling to do that when it shot off into the air. I’m going back to waste another hour looking for it. :angry:

post-26289-0-42653600-1530874558_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Mine has just been sent. I paid fully end of January (ordered 2011) in case it helps people to guess where they are in the queue.

I paid on 9th January, sent yesterday (also ordered in 2011). So it seems they may have cleared everything before February.  

• RMweb Gold

Warning: reading this post may damage your eyes. Please wear sunglasses.

10203 arrived this afternoon...post-20773-0-05212100-1530895389_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-20009700-1530895403_thumb.jpeg

Its a fantastic model but I think the warning panel was put on the roof by mistake ?

One headlamp became detached in transit, and push fitted back on..

post-20773-0-19131900-1530895526_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-56683600-1530895541_thumb.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering what is the difference, 10202 also arrived today, giving me the fleet

First the roof is very different

post-20773-0-50144700-1530895793_thumb.jpeg

As are the grill sizes on the sides

post-20773-0-53682700-1530896172_thumb.jpeg

Here’s bothpost-20773-0-87652100-1530895862_thumb.jpeg

The floating bogie is worthy of merit, as is the detailed wheels....post-20773-0-48570500-1530896334_thumb.jpeg

It’s been a long story I ordered 10201 / 3 in December 2014 and I was so impressed with 10201 at Warley last November I added 10202 to my basket in January 2018, both arrived today.

Really smooth models, weighty and excellent paint finish.

My only question is how accurate is the yellow roof ?

post-20773-0-76267700-1530895922_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-77588700-1530896067_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

Having just reviewed my photos of 10203, I note that the last photo amongst them, probably taken at Derby after withdrawal, shows that the loco was fitted, probably late in life, with a pair of standard 'trumpet' horns in place of the whistle that was carried for most of its life.

post-2274-0-76682700-1530910418.jpg

Something to bear in mind if, like me, you intend producing a 'parallel universe' 10203 which survive longer that it did in this universe.

I also note that, despite the engine-room drop windows being open, the engines are not visible in photos. Mine will receive a coat of the same 'grot' that will be applied to the roof.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 4

My Bulleid Banana also arrived today. That yellow roof is going light grey very soon, as shown by the smidgin visible on the accompanying image.

attachicon.gifladybirdbulleiddiesel.jpg

A cracking little reference book  - I treasured mine from new and still have it. It is contemporary with the liveries it portrays and  it has colour pictures in it as well (on every loco portrayed !!) so no having to guess whether it is sunlight reflections or lining for example - life was so much simpler then  :jester: 

• Like 2

Completed a loaded test run (11 Bachmann Mk1s) at the club tonight which 10203 lifted without any problem, Very smooth, quiet slow running and at all scale speeds with plenty of power in reserve.

The only problem encountered was after 30 minutes trouble free running, I turned the loco round to run it in the other way round. For some reason, it showed a tendency for one bogie to de-rail at the same point on the track over which it had previously run perfectly. Turning 10203 round to its original direction of travel, it ran without any problems over the same section of track.

Not had chance to check back to back measurement or look for any other possible cause.

The primrose roof was certainly a topic of conversation amongst club members. Weathering it down or repainting it grey was about 50 - 50 in comments made.

After seven and a half years mines turned up. I did wonder if i would see these while I could still wipe my own arse but the wait has been worth it.

A very fine model even if the livery does look a bit bright. Runs nicely and quietly straight out of the box nearly on par with Hornby without the gear train rattle of the DJM class 71.

Starting is smooth with a heavy load if not linear but is improved if a tad noiser with a feedback controller. Just a couple of overspray blemishes and a shame the painting of the radial axle ends and the void was deleted, I'll attend to that when I tone down the livery a bit.

Here some of  pictures 10203 in black.

28381802777_219b4600f5_k.jpg

43201829282_58b10452d9_k.jpg

41440928650_55ef762f09_k.jpg

• Like 7

Wow..... just collected my model from the P.O. it is stunning.!!!!

What a memory jerker it is, the first diesel loco I ever saw, at Crewe Station circa 1956 as an 8 yr old.

It’s been a long wait, but Thank you Kernow for seeing this project through to a magnificent fruition.!!!!!

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Premium

Mine's arrived this morning, only had time for a quick look, the roof isn't as garish as I was expecting.

Won't have a chance to run it for a few days but first impressions look good. The top headcode discs had both detached during transit and one of them has made a tiny scratch just above where the disk sits, but it's not worth returning it for that.

Douglas

Mine's arrived this morning, only had time for a quick look, the roof isn't as garish as I was expecting.

Goodness! You must have a vivid imagination!

I'm thinking of toning my one's roof down with a day-glo yellow highlighter pen.