Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

Poor souls, this is one brilliant model!. hope it's not financial reasons for them.

Mike

It is their loss, I ummed and ahhed but eventually plumped for a 10202 when one was made available after they were originally sold out (I dont like number 1s and didnt want a green one) and it is a brilliant model, now waiting for payday so I can order a D600.

And with both sound fitted, that lovely site will set someone back roughly £600 in locos alone but it would indeed look very impressive on a suitably large layout with inclines and rake of 12/15 behind.

*Swoon!* Is that what I paid for 10201 & 10202 with sound? It goes to show that it never feels so bad when I order them one at a time and put the money aside, then install sound one at a time!

*Swoon!* Is that what I paid for 10201 & 10202 with sound? It goes to show that it never feels so bad when I order them one at a time and put the money aside, then install sound one at a time!

I do the same thing, except I order locos faster than I can fit sound in them!

I do the same thing, except I order locos faster than I can fit sound in them!

So do I! A year ago, I decided to install sound at the rate of one a month. Even then, I would probably be losing ground. However, such is the rate of desirable new stuff that I can’t even keep to one a month. 10203 is silent so far.

What am I supposed to do when H2s and H1s appear, not to mention 87s and more 68s? I know – be more selective. I am selective. Things I would have jumped at a few years ago now go into the “Decided Not To Get” list. I am going to have to be even more selective. The layout will remain switchable between DC and DCC, probably as long as I last. 

So do I! A year ago, I decided to install sound at the rate of one a month. Even then, I would probably be losing ground. However, such is the rate of desirable new stuff that I can’t even keep to one a month. 10203 is silent so far.

What am I supposed to do when H2s and H1s appear, not to mention 87s and more 68s? I know – be more selective. I am selective. Things I would have jumped at a few years ago now go into the “Decided Not To Get” list. I am going to have to be even more selective. The layout will remain switchable between DC and DCC, probably as long as I last. 

My thoughts are the same although maybe I became more selective faster than you did as I skipped the 87 and 68. That still gives me 15 locos this year. Next year will be less though unless there are further announcements between here and next march of Southern related items or a WD item or a class 89....

Back OT - Kernow have only 10203 in black left.

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts are the same although maybe I became more selective faster than you did as I skipped the 87 and 68. That still gives me 15 locos this year. Next year will be less though unless there are further announcements between here and next march of Southern related items or a WD item or a class 89....

Back OT - Kernow have only 10203 in black left.

When something appeals to me, I surrender far too quickly to temptation. Even if the 68s were not quite perfect, they were still fantastic models and I have no regrets about buying four. On the other hand, I’m starting to wonder about the 87s. Hornby’s poor provision for lighting, DCC and sound is most regrettable and I may end up wishing I’d gone for one instead of two. Permit yourself a smug moment for skipping the 87.  :)

• RMweb Gold

When something appeals to me, I surrender far too quickly to temptation. Even if the 68s were not quite perfect, they were still fantastic models and I have no regrets about buying four. On the other hand, I’m starting to wonder about the 87s. Hornby’s poor provision for lighting, DCC and sound is most regrettable and I may end up wishing I’d gone for one instead of two. Permit yourself a smug moment for skipping the 87.  :)

Is it worth fitting sound in an 87 - do they make much noise to speak of?

• RMweb Gold

Apart from which the Intercity DVT is not currently in the catalogue....whereas Kernow's Network Rail version is. Bizarre....

• RMweb Gold

We take the point. They make a noise..But thank you also for eloquently reinforcing the case for another run of the Swallow DVT.Bit pointless to run an InterCity87 plus Mark 3 stock without one.Not rocket science is it ? Yet none are in the catalogue it seems.

Conversely,we have a full set of Virgin MK 3 plus DVT but as yet no Virgin 87 .Oh dear.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

took the plunge today and bought a class tts chip. i've fitted it to the bullied using a 21>8 pin converter.

the sound works well but i have a few questions

1: i assume i can't use the cab lights as the tts chip has no function for this

2: which speaker is best, the tts speaker or factory fitted from kernow

3:at slow speeds the running is very lumpy when using the tts chip. i have turned of back EMF but apart from that i don't really know what to play around with in terms of cv values.

has anybody put the class 40 tts chip in and got any tips for smooth running?

thanks

took the plunge today and bought a class tts chip. i've fitted it to the bullied using a 21>8 pin converter.

the sound works well but i have a few questions

3:at slow speeds the running is very lumpy when using the tts chip. i have turned of back EMF but apart from that i don't really know what to play around with in terms of cv values.

has anybody put the class 40 tts chip in and got any tips for smooth running?

thanks

They will either come on with the main lighting function or not. You are converting from 8 to 21 so you either loose lighting functions or they get grouped togethor.

The Kernow and TTS speaker are the same (though Hornby provide a sound box for it). Probably no difference in sound quality

The TTS is set up for a railroad single powered bogie model. The Kernow loco uses a much bigger motor. I used a TTS chip targetted for the railroad model in the super detailed one. It too stuttered but went when I set CVs 151 and 152 to 35, 

BTW - the 40 had horns and the Kernow Bullieds have whistles.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your suggestions, will give it a try tomorrow. I appreciate the class 40 sounds are different but they are close enough for me, I paid £30 for TTS chip so I can’t really complain or even start to compare it to the full fat £100 + chips out there.

Slightly off topic but I bought the hst TTS chips not so along ago I and was really disappointed in them, think it’s the speakers to be fair, can’t say the same for the class 40 which is good.

Also an interesting photo to show how the lining sat on a raised band, you can see where a bit has fallen off on the door.

Apologies if this feature has been noted before.

John.

It also shows that the whole of the front of the bogies should be painted red - not just the bufferbeams.

I'll have to get the red paint out !

Regards,

John Isherwood.