Kernow Model Rail Centre - Bulleid Diesel

WDP4D

• RMweb Gold

Were the locos prior to being fitted with the two air horns carrying a STEAM-type whistle?  That's how it appeared to me looking at the photos.  In which case, does anyone know what it sounded like?  EG was it similar to those fitted to Bulleid's air-smoothed beauties?

Only 10203 got air horns in the last 18 months of service, the other two kept the whistle until the end. I imagine they might have sounded similar to the HA class 71s?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that. I’ve been dithering about getting another. Do you know what sort of motor is used? If it’s coreless, I don’t think I’ll bother but if it’s a decent traditional motor, I’ll get another like a shot!

A good idea might be to email Kernow to ask.On the other hand,their roadshow is currently on its way in my direction for DEMU this weekend. I will ask and if I have a definitive answer,I will  post.So watch this space.

According to a question that I asked several weeks ago, Kernow  assured me that they will NOT have a coreless motor, unlike the D6XX Warship.

Terry

Pleased to hear that. It wouldn't, on it's own, stop me buying, but I much prefer a traditional motor. Pity about the Warship, but I've always wanted one. The coreless motors will stop me buying some other models, though.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

According to a question that I asked several weeks ago, Kernow  assured me that they will NOT have a coreless motor, unlike the D6XX Warship.

Terry

Thanks for that.I'll check that out again this weekend.I have a query concerning the use of coreless motors too so a,good idea to ask now.

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to hear that. It wouldn't, on it's own, stop me buying, but I much prefer a traditional motor. Pity about the Warship, but I've always wanted one. The coreless motors will stop me buying some other models, though.

Colin

I think we may find coreless motors appearing in more and more models over the next few years. Hornby have been slated for the lack of provision for DCC in their 71 and the DJ 71 shows how much more space is freed up. What is needed is suitable compromise between motor size and power.

Roy

I think we may find coreless motors appearing in more and more models over the next few years. Hornby have been slated for the lack of provision for DCC in their 71 and the DJ 71 shows how much more space is freed up. What is needed is suitable compromise between motor size and power.

Roy

I feel Hornby could have provided more space without switching to coreless. DJM could have given us extra weight and power without compromising DCC.

With some very unfavourable criticisms/problems coming out on coreless now, I don,t think manufacturers are about to switch over en-masse!

After all If the word coreless drives away a chunk of the market, you can bet it won,t be easily adopted.

I have not really had any problems with coreless myself, but glad the Bullieds are more conventional.

Edited by JSpencer

Colin

Likewise pleased. As I said, a coreless motor wouldn’t lead me to cancel my pre-order or even stop me buying one of these if I hadn’t pre-ordered. It would, however, stop me buying more than one. It looks as though I’ll be buying two, with 10203 to follow. (Somehow or other. My piggy bank is malnourished just now.)

• RMweb Premium

Looking very nice, the bogie details look spot on, and have a big heavy feel. The side panels are all correct, and the roof details look nicely picked out. It does look a very good model indeed.

They do look a lot better than the earlier samples. :good:

I feel Hornby could have provided more space without switching to coreless. DJM could have given us extra weight and power without compromising DCC.

With some very unfavourable criticisms/problems coming out on coreless now, I don,t think manufacturers are about to switch over en-masse!

After all If the word coreless drives away a chuck on the market, you can bet it won,t be easily adopted.

I have not really had any problems with coreless myself, but glad the Bullieds are more conventional.

Very well put. I found your post 136 on the Hornby Class 71 thread most illuminating. I have not had major problems with coreless-powered models but I have found them noisy and not particularly good runners. That isn’t the same as saying that the problems are caused by the motors. As you pointed out, there are other factors, though I suspect that good conventional motors do give superior performance.

On the DJ Class 71 thread, I asked what the advantage of a coreless motor was, apart from being small. I don’t think anyone mentioned any.

As an aside, my spell checker suggested “nuclear-powered” instead of “coreless-powered”. That would be a bad idea!

• Like 1

As an aside, my spell checker suggested “nuclear-powered” instead of “coreless-powered”. That would be a bad idea!

Sounds like a good idea to me ... it would certainly add weight to the models!!  :jester:

Very well put. I found your post 136 on the Hornby Class 71 thread most illuminating. I have not had major problems with coreless-powered models but I have found them noisy and not particularly good runners. That isn’t the same as saying that the problems are caused by the motors. As you pointed out, there are other factors, though I suspect that good conventional motors do give superior performance.

On the DJ Class 71 thread, I asked what the advantage of a coreless motor was, apart from being small. I don’t think anyone mentioned any.

One model to power the whole layout? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Roy

There's no problem fitting a decoder to the Hornby 71, so long as you use a direct-fit decoder such as the Lenz Silver Direct which is what I have done. You will have problems though if you try to fit a decoder with a bulky wiring harness. 

• RMweb Gold

A good idea might be to email Kernow to ask.On the other hand,their roadshow is currently on its way in my direction for DEMU this weekend. I will ask and if I have a definitive answer,I will  post.So watch this space.

And the answer is........there is no answer.Don't know was the reply to my question on the Kernow stand at DEMU.Apparently,only the boss does. Never mind there's the GCR event in two weeks,so I'll ask there.

And the answer is........there is no answer.Don't know was the reply to my question on the Kernow stand at DEMU.Apparently,only the boss does. Never mind there's the GCR event in two weeks,so I'll ask there.

Thank you for asking. It might do no harm for the boss to spread his knowledge around a bit. There’s no secrecy about the externals.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for asking. It might do no harm for the boss to spread his knowledge around a bit. There’s no secrecy about the externals.

I was mildly surprised not to see samples of both the Warship and the Bulleid on display..it being DEMU etc.Hey ho.Hopefully at Quorn in two weeks then.However,Kernow have come in for the odd dose of sniping on this forum recently so perhaps we can't blame Chris Trerise for playing his cards close to his chest.He was not present yesterday but will be at the GCR event.I really look forward to inspecting samples of both there.Fingers crossed.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Having had the chance to test run the first EP sample I can confirm that it has a centrally mounted 5 Pole motor with two flywheels, driving both bogies.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was mildly surprised not to see samples of both the Warship and the Bulleid on display..it being DEMU etc.Hey ho.Hopefully at Quorn in two weeks then.However,Kernow have come in for the odd dose of sniping on this forum recently so perhaps we can't blame Chris Trerise for playing his cards close to his chest.He was not present yesterday but will be at the GCR event.I really look forward to inspecting samples of both there.Fingers crossed.

I'd be surprised over-joyed if the D6XX is about by then as it would require a considerable extraction of digits (and definitely not Cornish digits) from wherever they're resting to deliver that.  But you never know, and fingers may be crossed in hope.  The best source of inforrnation on progress with Kernow commissions is to receive their regular weekly newsletter and look at their Facebook page as almost invariably updates will first surface on one or other (or both) of those.  And of course whatever is happening is always going to be very much in the hands of the factories and if Kernow have no updates they can't give then to their customers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd be surprised over-joyed if the D6XX is about by then as it would require a considerable extraction of digits (and definitely not Cornish digits) from wherever they're resting to deliver that.  But you never know, and fingers may be crossed in hope.  The best source of inforrnation on progress with Kernow commissions is to receive their regular weekly newsletter and look at their Facebook page as almost invariably updates will first surface on one or other (or both) of those.  And of course whatever is happening is always going to be very much in the hands of the factories and if Kernow have no updates they can't give then to their customers.

Of course,I'm confusing the surprise appearance of the Bulleid at Ally Pally with that.Sorry about that.The NBL Warship has not appeared in any shape or form yet....or has it ? Getting confused.com.Yes I do have the weekly newsletter.

• RMweb Gold

Of course,I'm confusing the surprise appearance of the Bulleid at Ally Pally with that.Sorry about that.The NBL Warship has not appeared in any shape or form yet....or has it ? Getting confused.com.Yes I do have the weekly newsletter.

Just some tooling shots so far Ian - so an EP might not be too many months away?

It’s the excitement. Perfectly excusable.