PGA, PGA, and/or PGA

• 5 weeks later...

Yup (writing this from work, i'm typing so i look busy but really dying a little inside.......)

Although i did just happen to stumble over another Tarmac wagon for a 5er the other day.

That's a good find.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...

Got a few cavalex on order. Will then see if the pile of lima/Hornby can be modded to be similar but of different PGA styles than the cavalex type. Auto ballasters have been stripped down to back date them to tiphook livery and are ready to paint and their transfers have been drawn up ready to print.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A little play time with the rule 1 Trowse Redland stone train......although still only 1 wagon in Redland livery...

post-9147-0-47177900-1503307622_thumb.jpg

KPAs are painted and ready for transfers. Current pga count is 15 with 4 cavalex on order, the picture is only uses 9 PGAs and is on top a 5ft fish tank, I have a max model length of 8ft so i think I may now have too many (guestimating 14 PGA, 2 KPA, and loco will be just below 8ft). Actual Redland wagons may end up a minority in the Redland train.

Moving on, what loco is needed up front? Thanks to pictures earlier in the thread it looks like 60s were the norm for ews in 1999, is that still the case back in the early 90s and then through the mainline/load haul/transline period?

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Going by memory (a risky strategy) the Mountsorrel jobs were Toton outbased Leicester Aggregates Class 56 pool (FALX?) in the Late Eighties. Prior to that Cl.45 or pair of 31s.

I can't for the life of me remember which shadow FOC ran them between then and EWS taking over but I suspect it stayed with Toton men and traction.

• Like 1

Going by memory (a risky strategy) the Mountsorrel jobs were Toton outbased Leicester Aggregates Class 56 pool (FALX?) in the Late Eighties. Prior to that Cl.45 or pair of 31s.

I can't for the life of me remember which shadow FOC ran them between then and EWS taking over but I suspect it stayed with Toton men and traction.

Thanks for that, double 31s and a 45 I can do but suspect I may be pushing it with the KPAs in the mix. I think Mainline took everything in/out of Norfolk before EWS took over (i've allocated a Mainline blue 58 to the North Walsham condensate tanks), I'd be surprised if there isn't a Mainline 60 in one of my boxes. I've seen a YouTube video from that era of a Mainline blue 60 leaving riverside yard with the sugar-lime empties so it would fit. My other option if a 56 is more likely is a bit of Transrail Dutch for a bit of colour. I can't picture this service with a 37.

• Like 2

I've dug out my old Platform 5's Matt and Toton was a Mainline operating depot so I reckon you'll be good with a 58 or 60 up front.

Famously Mainline didn't get any 56s in the division of traction.

Toton pool codes are (in 1994) ENAN for 60s and ENBN for 58s.

Personally I'd be inclined to put 37s on the North Walsham tanks (one heavyweight or pair of 37/0) and put a 58 on a Snailwell-Sheerness scrap consist, depending on timeframe, for a bit of variety. As ever though, Rule 1 applies!

C6T.

• Like 2

Photo on WNXX news of a self discharge rake of Redlands hoppers being delivered to CF Booth scrapyard (and then oblivion) by 66706 on 23/08/17

and they have never been produced rtr and they are going to the breaker yard and in model railway speak are "modern" wagons!

one or the wishlist.

Mark Saunders

Photo on WNXX news of a self discharge rake of Redlands hoppers being delivered to CF Booth scrapyard (and then oblivion) by 66706 on 23/08/17

They have manged to be the subject of a number or derailments - the RAIB concluding its the gradual discharge that causes the pedestal liners to stick, leading to uneven weight distribution - I suspect they became a liability.

Jon

• 4 months later...

How this coming along?

A little play time with the rule 1 Trowse Redland stone train......although still only 1 wagon in Redland livery...

attachicon.gif20170821_102325.jpg

KPAs are painted and ready for transfers. Current pga count is 15 with 4 cavalex on order, the picture is only uses 9 PGAs and is on top a 5ft fish tank, I have a max model length of 8ft so i think I may now have too many (guestimating 14 PGA, 2 KPA, and loco will be just below 8ft). Actual Redland wagons may end up a minority in the Redland train.

Moving on, what loco is needed up front? Thanks to pictures earlier in the thread it looks like 60s were the norm for ews in 1999, is that still the case back in the early 90s and then through the mainline/load haul/transline period?

Thanks

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting reading up on this thread as I’m building up stock for a mid/late 80s Redland Train. I will be having about 8-10 Cavalex hoppers and complemented with about 4 Hornby hoppers. The Hornby ones will be resprays, does anyone know of a good colour match for the Redland green? Ideally in acrylic. 

Many Thanks

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 04/04/2020 at 17:39, Marcoblanco said:

Has anyone ever swopped around Lima Hornby bodies to the corresponding chassis and is it doable..? I can see from photos that there were versions of the like.. 

Been reading this thread with interest as I have 16 PGAs which I am modelling.  I have a mixture of lima and Hornby wagons in yeoman and ARC liveries.

I'm just about to put the lima hopper onto the Hornby chassis.

Was the top of the chassis on the ARC PGAs grey or mustard? The only pictures I have seen showing this is from late 90s / early 2000s and they look grey, but that could just be an accumulation of stone dust.

Regards

Darryl

The answer is both

9 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

Was the top of the chassis on the ARC PGAs grey or mustard? The only pictures I have seen showing this is from late 90s / early 2000s and they look grey, but that could just be an accumulation of stone dust.

The answer is both!

PG016B - these were grey with a mustard side panel (so similar to the Yeoman livery)

PG003A, PG004A, PG013D, PG005B, PG006B, PG013B - mustard

Which build code are you modelling?

Have a look at my Whatley thread or the Mendip Industrials thread for some good photos of rakes that include both livery variants. Page 2 of Mendip Industrials shows a rake headed up by a PG016B.

Guy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/01/2021 at 11:03, lyneux said:

The answer is both

The answer is both!

PG016B - these were grey with a mustard side panel (so similar to the Yeoman livery)

PG003A, PG004A, PG013D, PG005B, PG006B, PG013B - mustard

Which build code are you modelling?

Have a look at my Whatley thread or the Mendip Industrials thread for some good photos of rakes that include both livery variants. Page 2 of Mendip Industrials shows a rake headed up by a PG016B.

Guy

thanks for the reply mate and for the links etc, some cracking pictures on there. I'm modelling the mid to late 90s, when the 59's pulled the Yeoman and ARC PGA's in mixed rakes and the CAIB leasing logos started to apper on the wagons.

I'm modelling: PG003A, 004A, 006B, 013B, 013D

Regarding the grey query, I'm not meaning the bodyside, I mean the top of the chassis, i.e. the area in the pictures in the links at the end of the wagon below the steps / under the cover / where the pipes go through the chassis to underneath.

Were they painted mustard or grey? they look grey in the images below but that could just be years of stone dusy?

PGA_14223_VTG_CamdenRd_270509 PGA_14236_ARC_WestEaling_DateUnk PGA_14275_PR_WestEaling_DateUnk

Regards

Darryl