PGA, PGA, and/or PGA

On 11/01/2021 at 15:03, lyneux said:

That's an easy one. For the ARC wagons, ARC Mid Grey (e.g. https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/14p213).

But it looks quite faded on those wagons so you might want to just colour match a grey from e.g. Tamiya or Humbrol's standard ranges. Humbrol gull grey perhaps?

Guy

I'm trying to find out if the top of the wagons were either painted mustard or grey? The pictures on the Mendips Industrial thread (and your pictures in the Whatley thread) show them to be painted mustard. So either the wagons in the pictures above have been re-painted grey or it is an accumulation of stone dust.

Also, on wagon designation PG006B I notice the brake distributor is underneath at the non-handbrake wheel end. Was the air tank underneath too or hidden under the end covers?

cheers

darryl

Edited by daz9284
spelling

2 hours ago, daz9284 said:

I'm trying to find out if the top of the wagons were either painted mustard or grey? The pictures on the Mendips Industrial thread (and your pictures in the Whatley thread) show them to be painted mustard. So either the wagons in the pictures above have been re-painted grey or it is an accumulation of stone dust.

Also, on wagon designation PG006B I notice the brake distributor is underneath at the non-handbrake wheel end. Was the air tank underneath too or hidden under the end covers?

cheers

darryl

PG006B in https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/yeomanpga

Plenty of ARC photos Of course they weren't necessarily painted the same through their long lives. 

Paul

• Like 1

On 08/01/2021 at 10:48, daz9284 said:

Been reading this thread with interest as I have 16 PGAs which I am modelling.  I have a mixture of lima and Hornby wagons in yeoman and ARC liveries.

I'm just about to put the lima hopper onto the Hornby chassis.

Was the top of the chassis on the ARC PGAs grey or mustard? The only pictures I have seen showing this is from late 90s / early 2000s and they look grey, but that could just be an accumulation of stone dust.

Regards

Darryl

how did you get on? I had a bit of craze on doing different versions of Pga I've seen on Bartletts site. The body swop was next on my agenda until I had to move because of the lokdown thing and now no space for workbench modelling  ;-[

DSC_0667.JPG

Edited by Marcoblanco
Added picture
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, daz9284 said:

cheers

darryl

Hi Darryl,

Again, it depends on which wagon, even within the PG006B build code! In all cases the air tank and distributer are either both above or both below.

For the Yeoman PG006Bs, on 14025 to 14074 the brake equipment is above the solebar, on 14075 to 14095 it is below.

On 14688 to 14703 (the ARC PG006Bs) it's below. EDIT (23:26): Correction, I have a shot showing dual air tanks both ABOVE the solebar covered by the protective plate at the handwheel end of the wagon.

Regarding your query about the colour of the tops of the wagon, I think I answered that on the previous page.

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lyneux said:

Hi Darryl,

Again, it depends on which wagon, even within the PG006B build code! In all cases the air tank and distributer are either both above or both below.

For the Yeoman PG006Bs, on 14025 to 14074 the brake equipment is above the solebar, on 14075 to 14095 it is below.

On 14688 to 14703 (the ARC PG006Bs) it's below.

Regarding your query about the colour of the tops of the wagon, I think I answered that on the previous page.

Guy

cheers Guy, it  was the ARC PG006Bs that I was after, I could see the distributor below the solebar but on the pictures i've managed to see i couldn't see the air tank anywhere, so was guessing it's hidden somewhere underneath.

Regarding the colour of the tops of the wagon, on the pictures on your thread it is mustard where the airtanks and distributor sit on the chassis but on the pictures I shared it is grey. So I'm guessing thery were either repainted or it's stone dust. I've also noticed on your pictures the above solebar air tanks and distributors are mustard but on the pictures I have shared they are grey/black, so guessing the replacements when the wagons had maintenance / reapirs, weren't painted.

I'm after the time period the 59s arrived and the wagons started to receive CAIB branding so it maybe a mixture of both. i may just go for mustard as that is what they alread are and save's doing more painting

regards

darryl

Hi Darryl,

I've just made a correction to my post above - the tanks (there are two!) are above the underframe on the ARC PG006Bs. I sent you a couple of pics via private message that illustrate this. Also, I think the colour of the top of the underframe is mustard on these (at least that's what the pictures show). But my shots are from the 80s.

Regarding the three wagons in the shots you posted on the previous page, they are all different build codes from the PG006B, in sequence: PG003A, PG004A and then PG0013D. The colour of the top of the underframe on your photos seem to be grey. I have looked through all my shots of these build codes and I would say that earlier on (in the 80s) the top of the underframe was predominantly mustard and it got repainted grey at some stage (90s?). I'd say that for your time period, mustard is safe.

Regarding the colour of the tanks and distributers, tanks all seem to be mustard but distributors were mostly grey from new (with a red handle). I'm not 100% convinced that the photo on the Mendip Industrials thread shows a yellow distributer (it's a bit fuzzy to tell). Most close up shots I have show the distributer as grey. Any later shots with grey air tanks are probably replacements. Similarly, you will see a lot of shots of the ARC PGAs with red oxide buffers where they have been replaced (quite a nice detail that is crying out to be modelled).

PGAs are a total minefield of detail differences and that is even more so with the ARC ones than any others. Of course, that's what I like about them too! The usual caveat applies: get a photo of the exact wagon that you want to model in the period you want and copy it as best you can!

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 2