Grunfos's Blue diesels and stock.

Really nice work G, I like your style. The Ped is especially tasty. Have you considered the Brassmaster Class 24/25 etch fret for the little Sulzers?. The 24 would really benefit from the flat etch for the handrails and the sheet's only a fiver.

Cheers

Andy

Did you scratch build the bufferbeams, etc,  to make the Romanian 56? I did that for a Lima 47  once but it would be easier if I could get the parts from somewhere.

dave

Hi Dave

Sorry for the delay, all I have done is fit the detail pack that came with the loco, renumber, matt varnish and just a light roof dusting with black pigment to represent a fairly new machine It was 56 013 one of Hornbys first releases

Paul

Wot no Deltics?!

They are from the wrong side of the country and the Baccy one needs to much work I think. There is a fair chance of a couple of west coast electrics appearing thouh as I've done an 85 and at present mating a Triang 81 with another 85 chassis, Just seen the Dapol catenary and it looks mighty fine,

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just came across your topic and really like your BR Blue locos. There is something very reassuring about your weathering, they just look right and how I remember BR Blue.

I hope you do not mind a couple of questions. First what make is your Class 31? And secondly would you be able to give a bit more detail on how you go about weathering? Apart from the black pigment you say you use, what other products or tools do you use as part of the process?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across your topic and really like your BR Blue locos. There is something very reassuring about your weathering, they just look right and how I remember BR Blue.

I hope you do not mind a couple of questions. First what make is your Class 31? And secondly would you be able to give a bit more detail on how you go about weathering? Apart from the black pigment you say you use, what other products or tools do you use as part of the process?

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding, the 31 was a weathered Hornby main range model. Weathering is really simple, spray item with matt varnish then I use a broad soft brush to apply black pigment to roof area this is then stippled with a hard bristle brush into panel joints etc. Sometimes a little rust pigment is mixed with the black. Then buff with an old toothbrush. I use games workshop charadon granite paint for underframes and Humbrol 11 silver paint for footsteps. Picture of hitec tools involved.

post-4133-0-38377300-1458494211_thumb.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another steal on ebay really impressed with this, how did they get the 86 so wrong? After changing headcodes its the usual matt varnish and pigments. Need to do the blue 108 now I've replenished the varnish stock.

post-4133-0-06364500-1460391000_thumb.jpg

post-4133-0-19437000-1460391193_thumb.jpg

post-4133-0-00923100-1460391216_thumb.jpg

Edited by GRUNFOS
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Grunfos,

Your stock look pretty good. Indeed the Class 31 is so good it brings back terrifying memories of these beasts. Fortunately when I was an BR driver (1988-95) they didn't appear very often. But when they did, they always seemed to have problems, whenever I was booked on one or even pairs of them.

Even the solitary Class 31 model I bought for my layout (in green), revealed it had a problem with its metal chassis, which slowly expands and flakes away. Not knowing at the time, that there had been a duff batch, I reconstructed parts before hearing I could have sent it back and got a free replacement !

Your weathering is good, as I do hate this love affair with "Track colour", especially when applied to steam locos. As steam locos never went track colour but grey. All the coal dust, grease, oil, paraffin waste, turned virtually all dust from the track grey as soon as it stuck.

Edited by 71000

• 2 years later...

After a long time with no posts but lots of modelling, there is a new layout in the offing, first pics of layout and  Bachmann class 24. Its a split level station approach somewhere in the midlands on the west coast mainline in 1976. The lower OHLE  level rises to meet the suburban line as they approach the out of site station.

JPEG0032a.jpg.f0ffdd3c9050f42675105c5f08e1daa4.jpg

PICT0009a.jpg.5166ea464e60a820963bef365246a0de.jpg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

A bit more news, after a long time!

Heljan 86 fitted with MU cables and a view of a new display stand from EBMA. There will be more frequent updates!

PICT0022.JPG.ccaf6d70c7ca1f641e98a3b8c4b5bfc8.JPG

PICT0023.JPG.3faffa6242500223bc11526a596e74e0.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0009.JPG.033dedcb0292172afdc5e029cad1a59d.JPG

Edited by GRUNFOS
  • Like 14

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...