Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What are these, don't seem to be rivet presses ?

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help identify what these are and their purpose. They come from the workshop of a P4 modeller, they don't seem to be rivet tools/presses.

post-4738-0-61204700-1438623603_thumb.jpg

Tool 1

post-4738-0-26633000-1438623579_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-61678500-1438623621_thumb.jpg

Tool 2

post-4738-0-54202000-1438623635_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what they are or who made them and wonder if anyone can help.

Over to those that know  :snooks: Yes you.

• RMweb Gold

The second, crackle-finished one is a Studiolith era P4 press. I think the mounted tool is a sleeper punch tool, for Brook-Smith track-making.

The Nim.

Excellent, that would figure as he used ply and rivet trackwork.

The second, crackle-finished one is a Studiolith era P4 press. I think the mounted tool is a sleeper punch tool, for Brook-Smith track-making.

The second one in particular looks very similar to the one that the Scalefour Society used to flog in the Stores some decades ago.

Both presses are used in the construction of P4 track.  The first one is for punching the holes in the ply sleepers and the second one was for the fixing of the rivets in the ply sleepers, the rivets I believe were copper but I stand to be corrected on that if someone knows different.

I think if the old grey matter has not failed me but both presses were available from Studiolith in the 70's.

Loconuts

The second version came with both punch and rivet closing tools, that is the rivet closing tool in the pic. Same as mine.

The first is certainly a punch, looks to have alternative slots for 10" and 12" wide timbers. The actual press is similar to ones I have seen but the tooling is a design I have never seen before. It looks as though sighting the marks on your timber when punching will be rather difficult.

Regards

Keith

Dave speak to the scalefour soc. they buy them to hand on to new members. Money does change hands! I would pop on the buy and sell as people are interested in using this technique still. I had hand me downs from a local p4 modeller about 20 odd years ago!

Archived