The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

I see thirteen drivers collected 6 points and a £200 fine for using their phone to take pictures of a crashed lorry in Norfolk... what a shame... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46301319

apparently, most of the fools were HGV drivers... you'd have thought as a professional they'd have known better...

Perhaps the idea that someone does something for a living and is therefore a "professional" no longer means that they are particularly good at it.

On a different note,  those wishing to see people practicing poor driving skills, lack of respect for others, etc. should visit the Kings Road car park in Henley on Thames (at the rear of Waitrose). We spent a couple of nights in a H-O-T hotel an had to park in a public car park. Friends from Devon who joined us were amazed at peoples inability to steer, park, etc. as well as their seemingly complete disregard for others.

Perhaps the idea that someone does something for a living and is therefore a "professional" no longer means that they are particularly good at it.

On a different note,  those wishing to see people practicing poor driving skills, lack of respect for others, etc. should visit the Kings Road car park in Henley on Thames (at the rear of Waitrose). We spent a couple of nights in a H-O-T hotel an had to park in a public car park. Friends from Devon who joined us were amazed at peoples inability to steer, park, etc. as well as their seemingly complete disregard for others.

saddly it seems to be the attitude of management you are only a "professional driver " when it comes to finding fault with you never when it comes to wage or hours negotiations then you are a mere "steering wheel attendant " or " mobile load security " pay peanuts you get monkeys 

• RMweb Premium

It's hard to do, if you are using your mobile/turning off Nav Sat at the same time.

Priorities are all important!

Taking an R.A.F. expression, "Any landing  parking you can walk away from is a good landing parking."

• Like 3

Taking an R.A.F. expression, "Any landing parking you can walk away from is a good landing parking."

I always thought it was more, anything you walk away from is a landing: anything where you get to use the aeroplane again is a good landing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I reckon tyres must have deteriorated in quality quite considerably of late.

Living in Sheffield in the 70's and 80's and working in the peak district, winters never proved a problem with a selection of front and rear wheel drive cars shod with Michelin X and GoodYear Grand Prix S tyres, always got to and from jobs without drama, including the epic ascent of Baslow hill in an Austin 1100, the only car out of the workforce to make it home that night.

Presumably, now that tyres are more of a performance accessory than a necessity to help drive down the road, the polarisation between suitable tyres for different situations is becoming greater.

It couldn't possibly be the tyre industry wanting to sell more tyres could it?

Cynical, moi?!!

Mike.

• Like 1

Funnily enough from my X5 remark previously. Here's an X5 on semi-slick tyres.

Wonder how that will get on in the cold/wet/snow.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181129_103341595.jpg

Badly, I expect.

4X4s are no longer really about use in severe or off road conditions, as Land Rovers, Jeeps, etc. were designed for. The majority are probably now bought as an indication of the owners perception of their status and as fashion statements. Clearly, they can provide better and safer transportation when driven in poor road conditions and when the driver is using the performance of the vehicle, especially where four wheel drive is used in a car "chassis". Ironically, few 4X4 owners know how to drive in such conditions or, for that matter, under any conditions. A few minutes watching the antics of the (usually) young female drivers of large 4X4s in any Waitrose, M&S Food Hall or similar shopping destination car park will provide ample evidence of that.

4X4s, togther with ABS, Traction Control, etc. have taken away the need for people to understand how a car handles when adhesion is poor. I am happy that I leaned to drive and handle a car in those days when you relied on your own abilities rather than some software.

• RMweb Premium

I think it has a lot to do with the size of tyres these days as well as the tread, as they are much wider which spreads the weight more, rather than thin ones (think 2CV!) that dig in better.

• RMweb Premium

I went to buy a new car.  You know the ones.   

The ones with no indicators.

(Just to get my own back.)

That narrows it down to German, but it could still be one of at least 3 makes......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The one I'm aware of was - supposedly - an out of office reply in Welsh that ended up on a sign.

The story went that it was the reply received when something was sent to be translated. Personally I don't think that stacks up, there's no point in sending an out of office reply in the language you're there to translate to, since that would suggest the people emailing you don't need your services.