The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, StuAllen said:

201mph on the M23 is insane - https://news.sky.com/story/police-to-investigate-horrific-video-of-car-driving-more-than-200mph-11992337

Lets hope that they can find the driver.

Insane speeds for the road, even more insane that it appears the driver was filming on a mobile.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

When I was learning to drive I found a pattern in the stopping distances to make it easier to remember, divide the speed by 20, add 1 then multiply by the speed gives to the distance in feet. So:

30 mph divide by  20 = 1.5,  plus 1 = 2.5, multiply by 30 = 75 feet, 

40 mph divide by 20 = 2, plus 1 = 3, multiply by 40 = 120 feet

70 mph divide by 20 = 3.5, plus 1 = 4.5, multiply by 70 = 315 feet

so following the same pattern

200mph divide by 20 = 10, plus 1 = 11, multiply by 200 = 2,200 feet or about 670 metres

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

Just been reading the review of the RS6 on the Top Gear website - depending on the options you select (ceramic brakes and derestricted)  it can do 190 mph from the factory. All it needs is the speedo to over read by 6% and you have 201. With my petrol head on it’s an impressive car, just not the right place to show it off. 

The speed and power of performance cars has become a bit silly, and the problem with cars like these super saloons is they give no feeling of speed or excitement unless they're really pushed to very high speeds. I have the cooking diesel A6, it's nothing like the RS6 but even the 2.0 diesel is serene and effortless at road legal speeds. I think Mazda have always had it right with the MX5, it's never been a fast car but it's a hoot to drive and great fun at road legal speeds. Toyta went down the same path with the GT86 which is also great fun at legal speed. Minis tend to be a hoot at sensible speeds too. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Under half a mile, then - assuming that your formula holds at such very high speed, which it might well not. Another way of putting the question is, what is the minimum distance behind me he has to see me doing 70 mph in the outside lane (with that elderly saloon overtaking a lorry occupying the inner lanes) in order to not run into me?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

Just been reading the review of the RS6 on the Top Gear website - depending on the options you select (ceramic brakes and derestricted)  it can do 190 mph from the factory. All it needs is the speedo to over read by 6% and you have 201. With my petrol head on it’s an impressive car, just not the right place to show it off. 

Yes, I think it’s actually 189mph officially (with ceramic brakes)......but if it were a standard car I still think the time between 170 to 200 would have been slower, very easy to up the 600bhp to around 750-800bhp on these cars, anyway whatever it is the bloke a **** and needs locking away for a while.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, StuAllen said:

When I was learning to drive I found a pattern in the stopping distances to make it easier to remember, divide the speed by 20, add 1 then multiply by the speed gives to the distance in feet.

The one I spotted was half the speed muliply by 1/10th the speed (braking distance)  plus the speed (thinking distance)

So 30mph  is 15 x 3 + 30 =75

70mph is 35 x 7 +70 = 315ft

so 200mph is 100 x 20 + 200 = 2200ft

Probably  the same maths written in different form.

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Under half a mile, then - assuming that your formula holds at such very high speed, which it might well not. Another way of putting the question is, what is the minimum distance behind me he has to see me doing 70 mph in the outside lane (with that elderly saloon overtaking a lorry occupying the inner lanes) in order to not run into me?

Probably a lot less as would only have to shave off 130mph (975ft) to match your speed

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

200mph is a crazy figure, but at the less extreme end of speeding the problem isn't the braking distance that cars can achieve but human reaction. Car braking systems are in many cases spectacularly good nowadays, and in a different league to what was normal when most rule of thumb and highway code stuff on braking was developed. The problem is that human reactions haven't developed in the same way and unless you are relying on an automatic braking system (and those are far from infallible or immune to certain conditions tripping them up) it tends to be driver reaction which is the real limiting factor. And the roads are full of drivers of different abilities, ages, experience, attitudes etc. I find it quite stressful on German motorways as on unrestricted sections you have to completely recalibrate your conception of speed and distance when checking mirror to do an overtaking manoeuvre (although I'll admit it is also fun to get a taste of what some cars are capable of).

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's unnerving enough with the 90+ mph that is routine in the outside lane on the M40 on Warwickshire / Oxfordshire. 

Absolutely, I've driven the M40 at 70 in the left hand lane, been overtaken constantly by traffic in the middle lane, while they are also being overtaken by traffic in the right hand lane, as if we were standing still ! And I would have to question why cars capable, somehow, of reaching quite ludicrous speeds are allowed to be made and sold in the first place.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Electric cars tend to have much more modest top speeds but in some cases ludicrous acceleration.  And unlike bonkers top speed you can use bonkers acceleration legally.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

200mph is a crazy figure, but at the less extreme end of speeding the problem isn't the braking distance that cars can achieve but human reaction. Car braking systems are in many cases spectacularly good nowadays, and in a different league to what was normal when most rule of thumb and highway code stuff on braking was developed. The problem is that human reactions haven't developed in the same way and unless you are relying on an automatic braking system (and those are far from infallible or immune to certain conditions tripping them up) it tends to be driver reaction which is the real limiting factor. And the roads are full of drivers of different abilities, ages, experience, attitudes etc. I find it quite stressful on German motorways as on unrestricted sections you have to completely recalibrate your conception of speed and distance when checking mirror to do an overtaking manoeuvre (although I'll admit it is also fun to get a taste of what some cars are capable of).

Stopping distance = thinking distance (speed and driver dependent) + braking distance (speed, vehicle, and conditions dependent).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Electric cars tend to have much more modest top speeds but in some cases ludicrous acceleration.  And unlike bonkers top speed you can use bonkers acceleration legally.

As long as you don't spin the wheels. In Oz that is a towable offence and loss of licence for a month, assuming you get caught.

Plenty still do it.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

As long as you don't spin the wheels. In Oz that is a towable offence and loss of licence for a month, assuming you get caught.

Plenty still do it.

Crikey, best not buy a Kona E in Aus then!:o Seriously, I've never driven a car which is so susceptible to wheelspin as my wife's Kona, a combination of the torque delivery of an electric motor and skinny low rolling resistance eco tyres. If it was on good rubber I think it'd burn off a few hot hatches (to 60 anyway) but on eco tyres it can be a bit of a handful.

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Stopping distance = thinking distance (speed and driver dependent) + braking distance (speed, vehicle, and conditions dependent).

I'd suggest that thinking distance is also conditions dependent: darkness, fog or torrential rain can all affect visibility and contribute to delays in recognising potential hazards; heavy traffic can create distractions etc etc.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I can remember braking before ABS and the various driver aids that mean in an emergency now you can stamp on the brake as hard as you can and keep pressing as hard as you can and let the car worry about keeping things under control. The problem now is that many don't know how ABS works and lift off the brake as it judders because they think something is blowing up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Crikey, best not buy a Kona E in Aus then!:o Seriously, I've never driven a car which is so susceptible to wheelspin as my wife's Kona, a combination of the torque delivery of an electric motor and skinny low rolling resistance eco tyres. If it was on good rubber I think it'd burn off a few hot hatches (to 60 anyway) but on eco tyres it can be a bit of a handful.

Not really, I exaggerated about the wheel spin, but here is the details for impoundment.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/penalties/vehicle-impoundment

More specifically.

https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/find-legal-answers/traffic-offences/hoon-driving-and-impoundment

• Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder if his insurance company know its been tweaked? And if they don't his insurance will be invalid and the car could be sent to the crusher. Well he won't be driving for a few years and thats after a custodial sentence.

Lets hope they dont let the driver out before they crush it.....................

I suggest that exceeding the speed limit by more than a certain amount (say 100mph) and drink/drug driving should result in an automatic on the spot licence cancellation -ie you have to be retested before you can drive again

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

A lot of the Vic Roads stuff looks excellent & should IMHO be adopted in the UK

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I don't think the problem we have is a lack of laws, it is that the laws we have aren't really enforced with the exception of speed cameras. 

Speed cameras on the country end of the M40 would certainly aid wealth redistribution.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I can remember braking before ABS and the various driver aids that mean in an emergency now you can stamp on the brake as hard as you can and keep pressing as hard as you can and let the car worry about keeping things under control. The problem now is that many don't know how ABS works and lift off the brake as it judders because they think something is blowing up.

First time I ever encountered ABS was a mate took me out for a “test drive” in a Cortina 2.3L with a TEVES prototype ABS system (later put into first line production On the DE1....Scorpio).....it was winter and he raced out of the centre down to the A127 roundabout at around 70-80 mph and slammed on the brakes, it was wet and very slightly snowy, I shi88ed bricks, but the Cortina just juddered and stopped short of the give way lines, any other car at that time would have ploughed on through down the middle of the flyover onto the 127......I hit him so hard.....:lol:......it was truly a revelation, but Colin was a clown :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I may have mentioned this before, but we've got some roadworks near us with a 30mph TSR, on a normally 70 road. It's quite disconcerting to have someone overtake you at 70+ when you're doing 30.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1