The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

Out on the bikes yesterday, lady in a BMW convertible, roof down approaching a stop line on our left.  She looks at Mrs NHN passing in front, and pulls out directly behind her.  Right in front of me.  Red bike, headlight on, sunny day.  Of course if she had looked RIGHT it may have helped.....  Managed to JUST miss her.  She'd be dead if I had hit her and damaged the bike, it was actually Mrs NHN's BMW I was riding - best not to damage her baby.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

There is a video somewhere of (at the time) my dads quarry Hunslet ‘Alice’ on the Leighton buzzard railway hitting a car that drove straight in front of it at a junction,  the woman never saw or heard the train apparently! 

the vid shows her driving parallel with the train for a short while before doing a right hand turn in front of it, the locos Wooden dumb buffers hit the side of the car square on, made a right mess of it! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Out on the bikes yesterday, lady in a BMW convertible, roof down approaching a stop line on our left.  She looks at Mrs NHN passing in front, and pulls out directly behind her.  Right in front of me.  Red bike, headlight on, sunny day.  Of course if she had looked RIGHT it may have helped.....  Managed to JUST miss her.  She'd be dead if I had hit her and damaged the bike, it was actually Mrs NHN's BMW I was riding - best not to damage her baby.

One vehicle goes by = the road is ALWAYS clear behind!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Which brand of cornflakes did the car driver get his licence from? 

Mornflakes

He'll be mourning the loss of his licence

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Mornflakes

He'll be mourning the loss of his licence

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Which brand of cornflakes did the car driver get his licence from? 

Crunchy Nut for sure......

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Why am I not surprised that it's an Audi... Just the sort of thing that frequently gets posted on YouTube Dashcam videos - usually by the driver of the car involved moaning that the lorry/bus/other large vehicle pulled out in front of them - despite the slower vehicle having entered the roundabout well before the car arrived. Could have been completely avoided if he'd just eased off a little...

• Agree 5

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

Why am I not surprised that it's an Audi... Just the sort of thing that frequently gets posted on YouTube Dashcam videos - usually by the driver of the car involved moaning that the lorry/bus/other large vehicle pulled out in front of them - despite the slower vehicle having entered the roundabout well before the car arrived. Could have been completely avoided if he'd just eased off a little...

a large problem with HGVs at roundabouts  and junctions is that most are now fitted with auto gearboxes meaning the driver has to antisipate a gap opening in the trafic on the roundabout before hitting the loud pedal and comiting to making the move meaning some idiot failing to indicate in the wrong lane etc and boom you get an incident like this .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, peanuts said:

a large problem with HGVs at roundabouts  and junctions is that most are now fitted with auto gearboxes meaning the driver has to antisipate a gap opening in the trafic on the roundabout before hitting the loud pedal and comiting to making the move meaning some idiot failing to indicate in the wrong lane etc and boom you get an incident like this .

The bottom line is you can't anticipate stupidity.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

No idea where this is from, but remind me to not get on when he's driving!

He's lucky the gold didn't start sliding around. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, peanuts said:

Sorry, but what does having an automatic gearbox have to do with the stupidity of the car driver?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Sorry, but what does having an automatic gearbox have to do with the stupidity of the car driver?

I think he's meaning that some of them can be a bit slow to react when you want to set off. I know that lots of modern buses are like that, and will drop into neutral when you stop, then take a second or two to react when you try and set off. If HGVs are like some of our buses, and governed to prevent fast acceleration, then trying to get out onto a fast roundbout can be positively (in my opinion as a professional driver - the engineers, managers and finance directors have differing viewpoints) dangerous. By the time the gearbox has kicked into gear, the situation has changed, a car has appeared quickly, or you end up pootling out across a couple of lanes of traffic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, JDW said:

I think he's meaning that some of them can be a bit slow to react when you want to set off. I know that lots of modern buses are like that, and will drop into neutral when you stop, then take a second or two to react when you try and set off. If HGVs are like some of our buses, and governed to prevent fast acceleration, then trying to get out onto a fast roundbout can be positively (in my opinion as a professional driver - the engineers, managers and finance directors have differing viewpoints) dangerous. By the time the gearbox has kicked into gear, the situation has changed, a car has appeared quickly, or you end up pootling out across a couple of lanes of traffic. 

I've never driven any type of HGV, auto or not, but sorry I still don't see any relevance to an idiot cutting in front of the truck.

100% the car drivers' fault for being an impatient p***k.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I've never driven any type of HGV, auto or not, but sorry I still don't see any relevance to an idiot cutting in front of the truck.

100% the car drivers' fault for being an impatient p***k.

I agree, I'm not altogether sure it's the cause of that particular incident either, that looks more like impatience and general bad driving. It looks like he was expecting the HGV to go left, and to use the chevorns to nip past so he wouldn't get held up behind him after the roundabout.

My answer was to the more general point about slow auto gearboxes making it difficult for large vehicles, which does coause frustration for car drivers and lead to conflict. 

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Linking back to the very first post on this thread,  I have just followed a grey Newport City Taxi, license 1476 ( taxi plate in Welsh and English. )

All the way from the NDR out to the coast. 

Three unsecured children in the back facing me,  following them, for much of the time.

Couldn't hold his lane, hitting the white on the left,  crossing the one on the right, cutting corners. 

The driver Kept turning his baseball capped head to talk to the front seat passenger, car wandering . Braked from 40 to 30 at a speed camera in a 50 limit. 

I think he must bought his driving license he certainly didn't earn it.. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Linking back to the very first post on this thread,  I have just followed a grey Newport City Taxi, license 1476 ( taxi plate in Welsh and English. )

All the way from the NDR out to the coast. 

Three unsecured children in the back facing me,  following them, for much of the time.

Couldn't hold his lane, hitting the white on the left,  crossing the one on the right, cutting corners. 

The driver Kept turning his baseball capped head to talk to the front seat passenger, car wandering . Braked from 40 to 30 at a speed camera in a 50 limit. 

I think he must bought his driving license he certainly didn't earn it.. 

sounds like what he bought was a liquid lunch......

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Largest problem arising from the lockdown, which had some drivers off the road for weeks?

When one of the timid drivers gets behind a bicycle and won't pass until they can see the opposite carriageway is clear so they can move over the white line completely.  If they can't then the queue behind them builds and builds...

Then there are the ones who come to a complete halt on the main road to let someone out of a side street.

Or stop at a roundabout even when there's no-one else on it.

Or....  :angry:

• Agree 2