MRJ - Complete set 0-240 advice needed

chris p bacon

• RMweb Gold

It is funny with magazines the early M|RJs I read from cover to cover over and over but over the years I find I read them less. I suppose there are many things I have learnt from magazines over the years and are now part of my techniques. I don't need to re-read them. If however you haven't read the issues of MRJ there is a lot of information in them.

Don

Here's a bound set in Robert Humm's to give you an idea:

Runs of modern journals

invisible_image.gif

Model Railway Journal 1985-2010

Ref: Run 197

Price: £800.00

New in the market

Volumes 1-26 comprising issues 1-203 together with the elusive preview issue "0". Produced 8 times a year by Wild Swan Publications. Standard A4 format, about 300 pages per year (slightly fewer for the early volumes), profusely illustrated with photographs, drawings and diagrams. All the original covers have been retained and with the annual indexes. The set is bound two years per book in uniform dark green cloth by DJ Book Binders. The binding style is repeatable for subsequent volumes if the buyer wished to extend the set

Kevin

I wouldnt use Humms price as an indication. Prices inflated IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

The Set Robert Humm is offering are bound in 13 volumes. The cost of binding would be about £20 per volume at todays rates, so this does make a considerable cost difference to an unbound run, although I appreciate not everybody would be bothered if bound or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Agreed. But as a side note, quite a few modellers I know have stopped buying MRJ, and now buy no modelling magazines - they are all members of scale-specific societies, though: presumably the more focused nature of the in-house journals is better suited to their interests?

I think that may well be true.  I still subscribe to MRJ, but the magazine I most look forward to, and which I find most helpful, is the S4 Soc's excellent Scalefour News.

DT

Archived