Hornby 00 conversion

Hi all, I recently purchased a few of the origional Hornby 00 3-rail wagons which I would like to convert to 2-rail.

The axle retaining clips do not suit the fitting of  modern pin-point bearings. Does anyone know of a supplier of Wheel/axle sets which would suit?

Regards

Howard

Hi all, I recently purchased a few of the origional Hornby 00 3-rail wagons which I would like to convert to 2-rail.

The axle retaining clips do not suit the fitting of  modern pin-point bearings. Does anyone know of a supplier of Wheel/axle sets which would suit?

Regards

Howard

Probably the easiest way is Parkside underframes/ brass bearings /Romford (or Bachmann) wheels.

Regards

Howard

Hi Howard

I have carried out this very conversion, at first I tried to solder brass bearing into the metal clips which was tricky and the bearing had to be filed down to fit inside the axlebox. I then fitted the standard Romford wagon wheel (with pinpoints) into the metal clip without any modification and to my surprise the conversion worked as the plain section of the axle runs in the clip and the pinpoint just stops the sideways slop. Just one word of caution only remove one clip on each axle and try not to bend the metal too many times or they will snap !

Regards

Richard

Hi Howard

I have carried out this very conversion, at first I tried to solder brass bearing into the metal clips which was tricky and the bearing had to be filed down to fit inside the axlebox. I then fitted the standard Romford wagon wheel (with pinpoints) into the metal clip without any modification and to my surprise the conversion worked as the plain section of the axle runs in the clip and the pinpoint just stops the sideways slop. Just one word of caution only remove one clip on each axle and try not to bend the metal too many times or they will snap !

Regards

Richard

Cheers I will give it a try

Howard

Archived