BEC kits

Lemmy282

Hi there,

Does anyone have a definitive list of the tram kits produced by BEC? I've aquired quite a lot over the years and some seem to have the same kit number but are different models.

Also does anyone have the instructions for the LCC snowbroom, specifically the painting colours.

Thanks

Nigel L

Hi there,

Does anyone have a definitive list of the tram kits produced by BEC? I've aquired quite a lot over the years and some seem to have the same kit number but are different models.

Also does anyone have the instructions for the LCC snowbroom, specifically the painting colours.

Thanks

Nigel L

I think they were standard LPTB etc., red, grey roof, wooden floors, bauxite under frame with a black panel on the near side of the broom housing.

Dave

I think they were standard LPTB etc., red, grey roof, wooden floors, bauxite under frame with a black panel on the near side of the broom housing.

Dave

Thanks for the information. I've just realised I asked for snowBROOM when I should have asked for snowPLOUGH!

It's really the LCC livery I'm after. Most works cars seem to have been in overall purple lake in LCC days, however I've seen pictures of double deck cars in use as ploughs still in their passenger livery, I wondered if the cut down ones carried this or were repainted into the overall livery.

Nigel L

• 2 months later...

Nigel, the LCC double deck Snow Ploughs you saw were cut down when the LCC finalised their snow clearance policy with a mix of ploughs and brooms (all cut-downs of B and C classes), retaining the passenger livery (to save repainting costs).   They passed into LPTB hands where the ploughs were eventually scrapped pre-WW2 or converted to brooms.   Best see "London Transport Tramways" by Oakley and Holland for their final history.   Colin.  

Nigel, the LCC double deck Snow Ploughs you saw were cut down when the LCC finalised their snow clearance policy with a mix of ploughs and brooms (all cut-downs of B and C classes), retaining the passenger livery (to save repainting costs).   They passed into LPTB hands where the ploughs were eventually scrapped pre-WW2 or converted to brooms.   Best see "London Transport Tramways" by Oakley and Holland for their final history.   Colin.  

Thanks for the reply. Since I posted my question I've found out that some were not repainted at all, some retained the original livery but without lining, and in the late '20's some were painted vermilion and cream! Seems they had many variations before LPTB got their hands on them.

I will look out for that book, thanks for the suggestion.

Nigel L 

Nigel, if you have any particular London snow plough or snow broom in mind, just let me know the car number as I have a data base on known liveries and allocations including the brooms/ploughs inherited by LPTB from other than LCC.   All ex-LCC ploughs were conduit only.   This data base has increased since the book was published!   Colin LW.

Archived