Present Day Oil (or other) Freight Traffic in South West Wales

JohnH

Off to Tenby at the end of next week and I just wondered what freight flows are still operating in SW Wales? 

If the weather stays as it is(!) I'm hoping for an excuse to watch some oil trains running around the Milford Haven area...

Many thanks in advance.

Off to Tenby at the end of next week and I just wondered what freight flows are still operating in SW Wales? 

If the weather stays as it is(!) I'm hoping for an excuse to watch some oil trains running around the Milford Haven area...

Many thanks in advance.

Not sure there's anything at the moment, not since Murco closed. Might be worth googling 'Robeston oil train' and see what it throughs up in terms of the most recent photos. Good luck.

The Murco trains still run, not sure if they're photographable that far west?

6B13 to Westerleigh is 05.00 ish off Robeston, 6A11 to Theale leaves at 22 something.

Best bet is to look at (I think it is from memory) Robeston Sdgs on Real time trains. Set the time to 0000-2359 and should give you everything for that day

jo

Trains are still running from Robeston to Westerleigh, Theale and Bedworth as they have for a long time - the refinery may have closed(?) but Robeston is carrying on as an import terminal, so the trains still run.

I think the issue you're likely to have is that the majority of movements are at night, (or early morning or late evening).

This link should show you actual running for yesterday showing 4 movements passing Whitland - my suggestion would be if you have internet access when you are there to call up RTT to see what is running on the day and how close to it's path it's running.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WTL/2015/08/05/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=non-passenger&order=wtt

FWIW i've shot 6B13 (the Robeston-Westerleigh marked there) in the Llanelli area in the summer, but that's 50 minutes later... 

(May 2013)

60063_Llanelli_18052013%20%2824%29-L.jpg

Thanks for all the replies Gentlemen! Brilliant information.

All the best

With or without the freight trains, it's still a beautiful part of the world; South Pembrokeshire is very much like South Devon, but north of the Cleddau, the country's much more rugged. If you want at least some railway interest, then try and follow the route of the Saundersfoot Railway, which took coal from long-closed mines to the harbour at Saundersfoot. In the north of the county, near Newport, is the little harbour at Porthgain; whilst now, you'll see only some fishing boats (and a couple of good eating houses) , this was once a busy port. Stone was sent from here to pave the streets of London; the disused quarry is still connected to the harbour by a tunnel, which once had a tramway.

If you are driving down to Tenby along the M4 - consider a slight detour ( takes under 5 minutes ) from Jct.38 to Margam Knuckle Yard.

Come off the westbound slip at Jct.38, take the first exit off the roundabout (signposted 'crematorium' !!) and into the lane, passing the entrance to the crem on your left.

Follow the lane passing the 'wood chip burner' on the right, and the BOC facility on your right, and drive as far as you can........................... a gate across the SWML will block your path.

You can cross the SWML, OVE and the yard lines as the path is a public footpath which allows you to get up (very) close to the shunting movements.

The crossing is known as "Heol Y Deiliad"

http://www.abcrailwayguide.co.uk/heol-y-deliaid-level-crossing-6369

Brian R

Totally agree with that suggestion of Brian's, when I was travelling that way regularly it was somewhere I often pulled off to take a driving break, as it's only a couple of minutes off the motorway it's no worse time-wise than stopping off in one of the motorway services, and much more entertaining. :)
Some pics from that location: https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/SwinginHotSpots-1/South-Wales/Margam/

It's not everyday a beast this size holds you up as it crosses a public footpath.

But this is Margam, and provided you are careful, you can get up close and personal to a variety of mainline and industrial power.

Until you stand next to one of these beasts, you don't realise how big they are - being out of gauge for the mainline.

Brian R

post-1599-0-47316800-1438897080_thumb.jpg

Left this shot of the previous post.

This is Heol-y-Deliad or Heol-y-Deiliad crossing at the down end of Margam Yard and the public footpath accross the yard throat.

The gated crossing in the distance protects the South Wales Main Line.

The first line this side of the nearest gate is the OVE (Ogmore Valley Extension).

The lines closer are access roads to the yard, which is away to the right.

There are further lines behind the photographer (me !) which are used by mainline locos accessing the Grange Coke Ovens and also Tata locos working between the steelworks and the yard.

Well worth breaking your journey here.

You can see gricers cars parked against the gates in the distance.

Amongst the trees above the signage protecting the crossing you can just make out Margam Park and its associated buildings.

Brian R

post-1599-0-83498400-1438897396_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Unfortunately we travel from mid Wales, through Aberystwyth, Cardigan and through to Tenby so a detour to Margam will probably cause riots with the domestic authorities...

However, I agree about what a fascinating place Porthgain is - I've been calling in there for the last 15 years or so. A brilliant, atmospheric harbour, granite bins and disused tramway.

I didn't know you could get times like this.

I live in Haverfordwest and the line is about 400m from the house. I can hear the oil train at night during the summer.  It passes through Haverfordwest train station and last time I caught it by chance it was around lunchtime. A class 60 in Loadhall livery.

I've also taken the directions for Margam yard. I'm often on the M4 and will be on it early Friday morning so will try to stop off and see what I can find :)

Archived