Bachmann 66, sound decoder and cab lights

EddScott

I recently bought a Bachmann 66 - 66301 Fastline and a 21 sound decoder.  Fitted fine no problems but I don't seem to be able to get the cab lights to work - they are there.  I have Bachmann 66522 Freightliner Shanks which came with sound onboard but this loco doesn't have cab lights.

It's not the end of the world I can't get them to work but was wondering if it was possible to get them working?  Controller is a MultiMaus Pro.

Any help appreciated :)

When you bought the 21 pin sound decoder did you obtain a list of the functions and what they all did?

Although the cab lights are 'there' there is no guarantee that they are wired into the 21 pin board or that the decoder is equipped to deal with them.

If the board is wired for them then the decoder can be modified to switch them on and off on a function button.

I recently bought a Bachmann 66 - 66301 Fastline and a 21 sound decoder.  Fitted fine no problems but I don't seem to be able to get the cab lights to work - they are there.  I have Bachmann 66522 Freightliner Shanks which came with sound onboard but this loco doesn't have cab lights.

It's not the end of the world I can't get them to work but was wondering if it was possible to get them working?  Controller is a MultiMaus Pro.

Any help appreciated :)

Who supplied the sound decoder ? which F key is allocated to the Aux 1 output ? The cab lights are normally powered via the Aux 1 decoder output. It's possible, but unlikely that this output has not been enabled. Do the cab lights work on DC when the decoder is replaced with the original blanking plug ?

HTH

Ken

With the DC plug fitted the cab lights do come on. 

I think the the decoder is directly lifted from another Bachmann 66. 

I'm not sure which key is allocated to the Aux 1 output - how would I find that out?

There is a little switch underneath and this is set to on. 

I think in hindshight, now I've looked into things a bit more, I'll buy sound decoders from regarded sources rather than auction sites. To be honest, it was just a little test to see how hard it would be to fit them myself. Physically, it's straight foward, the programming bit is where I need more learning!

With the DC plug fitted the cab lights do come on. 

I think the the decoder is directly lifted from another Bachmann 66. 

I'm not sure which key is allocated to the Aux 1 output - how would I find that out?

There is a little switch underneath and this is set to on. 

I think in hindshight, now I've looked into things a bit more, I'll buy sound decoders from regarded sources rather than auction sites. To be honest, it was just a little test to see how hard it would be to fit them myself. Physically, it's straight foward, the programming bit is where I need more learning!

Have you tried all F keys up to at least F20 ? I'm not sure how many F Keys the MultiMaus Pro can allow access to ?  Different sound file suppliers often have the Aux 1 & 2 outputs on different F keys. It's assumed either a Loksound V3.5 or a V4 is fitted, there again it could also be a Zimo ? can you confirm ?  A list of what F key does what may help to identify it, and/or a photo of the decoder.

The little tank switch "I think" controls day/night running lights on the 66 ? or perhaps the tail lights.

Yes it's better idea to purchase from a known supplier, but at least you got a "working" sound decoder, not always the case.......................via auction sites !

Archived