Ruskin Lane EM

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Making good progress.

I'm currently planning my next EM layout myself, can I ask how you got a nice cut and join at the tapered part of board as I see you've used Ply rather than timber?

Cheers

The ply is made as a frame, so have an inner and outer strip with sections of timber as spacers. Each frame is made as a straight section, with matching ends tapered to achieve the angle.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice looking project Mudders,

Cheers, Dave.

Not got very far at the moment. Been side tracked (excuse the pun) on other projects. Will be taking a back seat for the moment, but will get done!

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can't believe that it has almost been a year since posting anything about the layout. In truth very little has been done, but as I'm being asked at exhibitions when showing Orchard Road - 'when is the next layout ready?', I thought that I had been get on with it. Consequently, this coming weekend, I am hoping to get some more work done. I bought another loco at the weekend, which will eventually be run on Ruskin Lane.

So watch this space, but don't hold your breath!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

After many months sat in the garage, work has recommenced on Ruskin Lane!

I had a few problems, one being that I was using the same legs as used on Acacia Avenue, but since this was sold, I've had no legs for the layout and then sat there doing nothing. Anyway, other projects got in the way, but have now come back to this one. New legs having been made today and re-checked that the electrics still work.

The points are operated via switches through a MERG servo driver board and servo motors fitted with microswitches. I will be adding LEDs onto the 'control panel' to indicate point position, again via a MERG kit. I have ordered the MERG DCC kits (control module and handset) and will be using these on this and other layouts.

Next need to finish the fiddle yard and then can start on the buildings / bridge etc.

I have been taking photos of interesting buildings in London when there on work visits to London, so although not necessarily copying specific buildings, will be using elements. Still a long way to go and will not be done quickly.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

One of the jobs to done was to relay a section of track as there was a step. So removed the offending track and cork. A new piece has been added. Needs ballast next.

I've also made a start on the bridge. Now that this underway, then I can start planning the other buildings. 

I 3D printed a switch panel, just blutack in position as need to fit a couple of LEDs as point indicator as can't see the blade at the point nearest to the bridge when standing at the fiddle yard.

20200301_133031.jpg

20200301_132735.jpg

20200301_132928.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The postman (post - person?) has delivered the MERG kits for the DCC controller and handset - will be assembling these over the next couple of weeks. This will be a replacement for the NCE PowerCAB.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a clever idea with the 3d printed switch panel - not seen that before.

If you're using servos for the points, won't the switch show the point position anyway ?

I'm using DPDT switches on T-CATS, one half as on/off for the servo and the other as the frog supply.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

That's a clever idea with the 3d printed switch panel - not seen that before.

If you're using servos for the points, won't the switch show the point position anyway ?

I'm using DPDT switches on T-CATS, one half as on/off for the servo and the other as the frog supply.

Thanks Stubby.

Yes, the switch does show the position, but adding a LED is just because I can!

I have a micro-switch on the servo mount. Only using a single pole switch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Assembled the MERG DCC CANCMD control board today,  ready for testing before fitting the ICs to their sockets. 

Next up will be the handset which includes some surface mount resistors and capacitors. Should be fun!

20200307_165011.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a great to report, even when being furloughed from work. Many other outside jobs to do and other modelling projects, such as my 7mm depot diorama and commissions.

Anyway, Ruskin Lane now back on legs, having needed to have a bit of a tidy up in the garage (still got stuff to dispose of, but of course can't get to the local tip), I've added a sky backscene. Most will not be seen when I start adding the buildings. Bridge to get done next. Ordered a few more wagon kits, which should give more and enough for two or three trains to shunt. 

Only a few of the existing wagons shown, the others being stored in another box.

P4200042.JPG

P4200050.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I realised yesterday, after ordering four more wagons kits, that I have a few more in another box! Now all retrieved and on the layout ready for couplings to be fitted. so, with the additional four wagons, should have plenty, but do need to complete the brake van kit that I started.

No progress on the layout today, but hope to get a little more done tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

After many months with no progress, it was about time that I made some progress. At least now the MERG DCC handset has been completed and been test running today. Taken all the wagons out of storage box and will look at getting some couplings fitted soon. Thoughts now turning to getting started on the buildings, but will need to do something about the backscene as not happy with this. Will require removal, sanding plywood smooth and applying a new one.

• Informative/Useful 1