New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

From what I can see the roco controller cant access (welcomed to being proved wrong). The ease of access to all 28 functions on the Ace was pulling me towards it.

But I have noticed the price on the signa-trak website going up in the last week, firstly £194 which I think was the old ace 2 rrp. Then £204 the other day and now showing as £249 and available from may 31st. I would guess rising component costs are causing this?

​The Z21 app allows you to access 28 functions in whatever order you want to place them and any function can be a switch, push-button or timer - cant imagine the need for more flexibility :)

​Plus you can control all your accessories from a diagrammatic map of your layout which can configure have the icons wherever you want.

​final point - its free (though currently can only be used with the Z/z21 or DR5000)

But I have noticed the price on the signa-trak website going up in the last week, firstly £194 which I think was the old ace 2 rrp. Then £204 the other day and now showing as £249 and available from may 31st. I would guess rising component costs are causing this?

The £192 was for the ACE-2 with a 3.5A transformer.  The £204 was for the same ACE-2 with a 5.0A transformer.  The extra £12 was for a higher rated transformer and that's the option that I went for when I purchased mine from Digitrains at Modelrail Scotland in February.  I was informed that there is no other difference.  However, I noticed recently that they seemed to have sold out of the 3.5A version and were only supplying the 5.0A version via the website.  I assume that the latter has been the more popular and it seems to be the only version for the new batch.  The increase from £204 to £249 is presumably due to rising component costs.

As a newcomer to DCC, I can't compare the ACE-2 to the z21, but what attracted me to the ACE-2 was it's ease of accessing all 29 functions from a single screen and its ease of use.  Overall, I'm happy with it.

Edited by Dungrange
  • Agree 1

Last night I had a query about naming Locos on my ACE 2, so about 9pm I sent an e-mail, expecting a reply this morning, within 15 minutes I had a detailed reply from Tony, of Sig naTrack explaining what to do, and where to find it in the hand book. Not only did he take the time for one reply at that time of night, I had two more e-mails from him as well.

EXCELLENT SERVICE and an EXCELLENT PRODUCT IMHO.

Thanks Tony.

Andy.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I’m seriously considering the ACE. I want to move away from the clunk-click Hornby elite, it compromises the pleasure of using sound fitted locos, which I’ve gradually moved towards since I bought it. Any news on the v4 functionalities described earlier in the thread? I would really like to be able to connect a fully functioning additional throttle.

I’m seriously considering the ACE. I want to move away from the clunk-click Hornby elite, it compromises the pleasure of using sound fitted locos, which I’ve gradually moved towards since I bought it. Any news on the v4 functionalities described earlier in the thread? I would really like to be able to connect a fully functioning additional throttle.

I haven't seen any update about that lately. The version 3.2 is still their existing product. Probably best to contact Fraser at Sig-natrak direct, and ask him. He usually replies very quickly and honestly.

https://www.signatrak.co.uk/contact-us#contact-details

• Like 1

Just found Sig-na Trak DCC Ace 2 and I am very taken with it.  I'm just at the start of building my new shunty-plank in 0 gauge and am moving down my tick list of things to do.

Track plan sorted

Laser baseboards built

Stock and locos with sound ready [recovered off previous layout.]

Some scenic pre-built but much more todo.

I have been thinking about changing from my lenz dcc to front runner, just now is the nce starter kit but that was until seeing the Ace 2

Looks like it is a very attractive piece of kit and something I'm interested in.

Has anybody found anything they wish was available on the Ace 2 as it does seem very good and has lots to like about it.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Just found Sig-na Trak DCC Ace 2 and I am very taken with it.  I'm just at the start of building my new shunty-plank in 0 gauge and am moving down my tick list of things to do.

Track plan sorted

Laser baseboards built

Stock and locos with sound ready [recovered off previous layout.]

Some scenic pre-built but much more todo.

I have been thinking about changing from my lenz dcc to front runner, just now is the nce starter kit but that was until seeing the Ace 2

Looks like it is a very attractive piece of kit and something I'm interested in.

Has anybody found anything they wish was available on the Ace 2 as it does seem very good and has lots to like about it.

Regards

For a shunting plank and sound-fitted locos, it will do everything you want it to do, and so easily compared to the usual suspects at similar price. It depends whether you want to go further into automation or PC/Phone control etc, because there are still a few enhancements awaited for that, I believe. (I don't want to do that, so have not taken much notice).

The other matter, which I don't think is an issue for you, is the number of functions available on the hand held throttle, just four instead of the 29 available on the touch screen base unit. I will only use the hand throttle for shunting the fiddle yard, so again not an issue for me. 

Others with more whizz-bangs and wotsits, may have other issues!

Hello Mike thanks for that info.

I have 5 mins ago just purchased 1x Ace 2 and 1x Hand controller. 

I spoke with the main man himself Fraser Black and he will be posting it out later today with me getting it on Tuesday.

woopy doo.

:sungum:  :locomotive:  :jester: 

Best

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hello Terrier79.

I spoke with Fraser Black yesterday when ordering an Ace 2.

While having a general chat he did confirm that the latest software was still V.3.2 but that V.4.0 was in end development.  V.3.2 will be upgradable through a little bit of software they will provide for us to download it onto a pc.  You then flash it into your existing controller, job done. 

All "How to" instructions will be included, it will be free of charge and is simple to do.  You can go the slightly longer route and return the controller to them to do the upgrading.

Regards.

Hello Terrier79.

I spoke with Fraser Black yesterday when ordering an Ace 2.

While having a general chat he did confirm that the latest software was still V.3.2 but that V.4.0 was in end development. V.3.2 will be upgradable through a little bit of software they will provide for us to download it onto a pc. You then flash it into your existing controller, job done.

All "How to" instructions will be included, it will be free of charge and is simple to do. You can go the slightly longer route and return the controller to them to do the upgrading.

Regards.

Thanks for the info Barnaby! I was at the Pontefract MRE today and tried out the ACE on the Digitrains stand. I really like it. Good to hear the developments are in the pipeline.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't know if the new version has changed but I replaced the straight white cable on my handheld units with a coiled black one from eBay, various ones available), I've been meaning to do it for ages and finally got around to it, it is much neater and tidier, though in hindsight a slightly longer one might have been a bit better.  

Deleted.  Bad advice, ignore.  The telephone ones and the Sig-na-Track ones are wired the opposite way.  One crosses over the wires, the other doesnt...

Edited by JDW
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...

Hello Fred here . I have an 5amp Signatrak Ace 2 controller . Can any one tell me iff i can run two trains at the same time independently from each other with two hand  sets , say shunting with one and bringing another into the station . I have one handset at the moment . Thanks Fred . 

10 minutes ago, Fred Lewis said:

Hello Fred here . I have an 5amp Signatrak Ace 2 controller . Can any one tell me iff i can run two trains at the same time independently from each other with two hand  sets , say shunting with one and bringing another into the station . I have one handset at the moment . Thanks Fred . 

Yes you can. As far as I remember you assign a loco to each handset 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good evening all.

There are no actual shortages or ACE-2's, DRIVER handsets, or the primary CML Range (DAC20/SIGM20/DTM30).

The manufacturing reduction has been caused by Fraser's day job moving at short notice following the demise of the airline he worked for earlier in the year. Fraser has now working for another airline but has had to completely re-certify for a new aircraft whilst temporarily relocating to another part of the country.

Thisnis the reason for the delays in manufacturing and shipping (because he is busy training).

We are still maintaining stocks at our authorised resellers, and will be at TINGS next weekend. Orders placed on our website are taking about 10 days at the moment, but we have had to be conservative with our shipping schedule during this time.

I hope this helps clarify a few points.

Regards,Tony

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hi Tony

I sent an email to Sig-na Trak about a month ago but still not had a reply.  This may be due in part to the above situation but also because in an earlier reply to me you asked that any email be sent "Forward all".  Unfortunately my emails were set up to go just to Fraser.

I'll resend it again but to the address from your reply and as "Forward all".

I'm still very impressed with my Sig-na trak  and my email was not about a problem but a suggestion for a small improvement that could benefit all.

Best

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony,

I also sent an email, via your web pages, asking about the stock levels of handsets and the timescale of deliveries. That was at least 3 weeks ago and I've not had a reply either.

The recent posts in this thread have answered my query, so no problem. But it may be worth checking that emails are appearing. 

Like Barnaby I'm impressed with my controller and look forward to the future software V4.0 as and when it appears.

Regards,

Rob

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Having been a DCC user since 2002 and a very early adopter of sound back when the only diesel sound available was a class 37 chip from SWD I took the plunge and a Sig-naTrak system arrived today (Christmas eve) as a present to myself. Having used Lenz on my first 2 exhibition layouts, Digitrax as an operator on other peoples layouts and currently NCE on my 2 current exhibition layouts. Having a quick play earlier this evening I am pretty impressed so far. Currently only working a test track I am looking forward to attaching it to The Sidings to see how it performs on an exhibition layout.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...