New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

Latest advice from Fraser at GFB designs:

I am very sorry but I am having to further delay the release of the ACE controller.

There are still one or two aspects of its performance that I am not totally happy with and I am therefore making  some more software "tweaks".

The area of concern relates to the operation of the handsets which, I know, is a key area of interest for most users. I have had a few unanticipated snags with the way the handsets work together, and how they interact with the touch panel, so my test team and I are working hard to resolve these. This extra work has also delayed the production of the user manual which is obviously important to get right.

I apologise sincerely for this disappointment but I have made significant progress over the past few days so the "end is in sight"!

Thank you for your continued patience - I will give you a further update on Monday.

Best regards

Fraser.

P.S. I will not contact you for payment until your order is ready for shipping.

Further advice from Fraser - 

Sorry - Monday turned into Tuesday before I had realised!

I've sorted out the operation of the handsets and I'm left with a slight snag whereby the details of the user's operating session is not always correctly restored on power up. I believe, however, that I've tracked this issue down and I'm just about to revise the software to cure it.

So.... It's getting close now, but I don't want to commit to a release date until I've completed writing the user manual (which has been delayed by the discovery of the most recent bugs). I don't want to make any more "false promises" until my test colleagues have checked out the latest revision.

I will issue a further update, either this Friday or early next week.

Best regards

Fraser.

Update from Fraser on the GFB Designs website:

Updates.......
01 February 2016
Very close, now....
The ACE's software is being completed today and we will be concentrating on a final test program over the next week or so.
Completion of the User Manual is expected to take around two weeks from now, whereupon we will be able to ship the units.
Thank you all for your continued patience!
Tomorrow morning, we will personally contact all customers who have pre-ordered, or who have registered interest, and we will continue to keep you all updated.
We will hold the discounted price of £142 until further notice.

The update today, which some of you may have received personally:

Dear Mike

The ACE's software is now complete and we will be concentrating on a final test program over the next week or so.

Completion of the User Manual is expected to take around two weeks from now, whereupon we will be able to ship the units.

Best regards

Fraser Black
GFB Designs

I guess the prediction of the shipping date depends on whether the testing finds no further problems. I guess the next update will be in about two weeks, but there maybe some news of interest later this week.

Mike

Hello folks

For those that are interested I recently had the pleasure of meeting Fraser and seeing the controller in use at his workshop.

What I can say is that the wait will be worthwhile and the unit should be available before to long a period has passed. My impression is that it sits between a controller and a PC with model train operating software installed. What also needs to be remembered is that it is a starting point that works and future enhancements will follow.

Please give Fraser the time and I am sure we will find that this British sourced and built product will fulfil its potential that we as modellers deserve.

For those that need to know more speak to Fraser but be aware that he spends his time working as well.

He needs our support and I for one having seen the work he has done and what he has achieved so far see no reason not to support him.

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The release date is now 24th February, next Wednesday. Some of you may have received notice by email that your orders will be dispatched on this date. Any initial comments welcomed - I will not be able to test mine for about a month due to travelling.

Fraser has also now managed to introduce ordering by phone using debit/credit card, for those of us unable to use PayPal from abroad.

Mike

Edited by Mike Storey

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An up date for those waiting:-

Fraser has been ill for about 10 days with a chest infection and has been unable to complete the ACE's User Guide as planned.

He will be resuming work on this, after Model Rail Scotland, on Monday.

Dispatch of the first units is now scheduled for Thursday 03 March

The suspense is getting too much.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

I think we should emphasise that date is provisional - the first 100 units are assembled and tested, but the User Manual could take longer than predicted - we have seen this with several other new controllers. it is to his great credit that he will not send any out without the manual (depriving himself of the income), unlike certain manufacturers we could name!

Guest dawdawes

Mines on its way, should land today. I have been a DCC user since 2003 with Digitrax and Lenz so cannot wait.

Guest dawdawes

landed yesterday, all well packed. It's a cracker ,a bit of weight about it and well laid out, now test time.

• RMweb Gold

landed yesterday, all well packed. It's a cracker ,a bit of weight about it and well laid out, now test time.

Any chance you could put your review in the "DCC controller review thread" (link below) as well as in here?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106867-dcc-controller-list-basic-review-by-owners/

It will keep all the reviews in one place for easy following, anybody can then ask questions about it in the other thread.

Which is also pinned to the top.

Seems that nobody wants to write their own review of the controller they are using.

Cheers

Ian

Mike your best chance might be this forthcomming weekend .

Thanks but we managed to speak today and all sorted. I won't be able to try mine out until mid April, so looking forward to anyone else's first impressions in use!

By the way, although it does not yet give you the option on the web site, if you want a longer lead on the hand held controller, just ask Fraser on the phone or by email. Mine will come with a 4 metre lead, instead of the standard 2m, which will be ample to get at each end of the layout fiddle yards for shunting/uncoupling or whatever. I will use the main unit for general running.

PS - apparently sales are going well and a couple of main dealers appear to be very interested in stocking them, so things are looking very good. If the unit works well, the more we raise awareness of it, to encourage a British entrant, the better. This could mean we don't have to rely on what we are given by the big boys and the end of defaulting to NCE, Digitrax or ESU/Piko.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard of this until I saw it on Pendeford Sidings thread. It's been an interesting read and I'm looking to change my NCE power cab at some point, this could well be a contender. I'll be interested to hear how people get on with it...    

I hadn't heard of this until I saw it on Pendeford Sidings thread. It's been an interesting read and I'm looking to change my NCE power cab at some point, this could well be a contender. I'll be interested to hear how people get on with it...    

I'd recommend it Scott, I don't own a tablet or a touch screen phone but even I can use this, if you don't want to use a podgy finger then a stylus is supplied. I will admit to doing the typical "bloke" thing of plugging in and using the Signa track without consulting the instructions, I was able to quickly enter a chip number, press enter and drive my loco within minutes of the power being on.

When you do consult the instruction booklet it's very easy to read and understand with simple english used throughout.

I have no connection to Fraser other than being a satisfied customer.

Regards

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Mines on order and should hopefully be with me next week, depending on when Fraser can get it built and shipped.

It's Easter weekend so I may not get it until the following week.

Also ordered the Driver hand held throttle.

Fraser has got enough parts to build lots of units but is building them in batches of 10, the first batch has already gone!

It has taken him by surprise just how popular it's been.

I personally also think for what you are getting it's very cheap, even at the standard price of 158pounds!

It's a 3.5 or 5amp fully featured controller for not much more than a PowerCab but much more power and looks like a better user interface.

When I get mine and I've had chance to play I will post a review in the review thread.

Cheers

Ian