New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Simon and Ian,

I'm certainly swaying towards it, I've got 3 boys all under the age of 10 and I think its something they will find easier to operate too. 

The reason for me buying it is to see how it goes down at exhibitions with the children running the layout.

I can have the ACE panel at the back and the Hand Held driver at the front.

When they put a loco in the siding only then will I then assign a different loco to the Driver Hand Held cab, they can never then just swap to different locos by pressing buttons on the controller, which is what they do at the moment.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

Mines on order and should hopefully be with me next week, depending on when Fraser can get it built and shipped.

It's Easter weekend so I may not get it until the following week.

Also ordered the Driver hand held throttle.

Fraser has got enough parts to build lots of units but is building them in batches of 10, the first batch has already gone!

It has taken him by surprise just how popular it's been.

I personally also think for what you are getting it's very cheap, even at the standard price of 158pounds!

It's a 3.5 or 5amp fully featured controller for not much more than a PowerCab but much more power and looks like a better user interface.

When I get mine and I've had chance to play I will post a review in the review thread.

Cheers

Ian

For what I've got i'll agree the price is very competitive, another feature I forgot to add is that you can double head which was the main reason I purchased the Signa track.

Simon

another feature I forgot to add is that you can double head which was the main reason I purchased the Signa track.

Even though double heading, aka consisting is a standard DCC feature and you would be hard pushed to find a DCC system out there that does not support it!

Regards

Even though double heading, aka consisting is a standard DCC feature and you would be hard pushed to find a DCC system out there that does not support it!

Regards

You may mock but my Roco Multi maus didn't have double heading, so I didn't need to push that hard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've only just come across this too, and it looks interesting for the price.  I'm not too sure about the "Driver" throttle idea, having to assign each loco from the base station, though I suppose its little different in reality (on my home layout at least) to assigning the loco on the handset, its just that the buttons are connected by a long cable instead of next to each other!  

From reading the brochure, it seems very easy to use, has anyone much experience of using it for programming decoders etc?  I bought a SPROG at Christmas, but it was written off by flooding before I could use it, and this now looks like a very viable alternative for my needs.

I have a long-serving Lenz system with LH100/LH200 handsets, will there be any way to use these as throttles with the ACE system?  I'm guessing not but thought I'd try asking!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just come across this too, and it looks interesting for the price.  I'm not too sure about the "Driver" throttle idea, having to assign each loco from the base station, though I suppose its little different in reality (on my home layout at least) to assigning the loco on the handset, its just that the buttons are connected by a long cable instead of next to each other!  

From reading the brochure, it seems very easy to use, has anyone much experience of using it for programming decoders etc?  I bought a SPROG at Christmas, but it was written off by flooding before I could use it, and this now looks like a very viable alternative for my needs.

I have a long-serving Lenz system with LH100/LH200 handsets, will there be any way to use these as throttles with the ACE system?  I'm guessing not but thought I'd try asking!

Fraser did explain that he kept the hand throttle simple to keep the price down, which he has done - cheapest on the market as far as I know. Wireless operation is high on his list for development over the next several months.

Don't know the answer to your final question and if it is not stated on his website/brochure, I suggest you email Fraser direct - he normally replies within 24 hours and is very helpful. You can find the email address on the GFDdesigns website.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, the washing machine packed up the other week, so I've had to cancel my order for the ACE controller and Driver handset and buy a new one.

A bit gutted but I suppose a washing machine is a bit more of a priority than yet another DCC controller, some would say!

Hey Ho will just have to wait and order one later.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately, the washing machine packed up the other week, so I've had to cancel my order for the ACE controller and Driver handset and buy a new one.

A bit gutted but I suppose a washing machine is a bit more of a priority than yet another DCC controller, some would say!

Cheers

Ian

Maybe there's a market to be investigated for household appliances with built-in DCC functionality...?

• Like 1

Cheers

Ian

Can't you just go down to the stream like the rest of us??

• RMweb Gold

Mike, if I could get away with that, not a problem.

I have a funny feeling if I actually suggested that to my wife she would probably insert the controller somewhere that it really shouldn't go :O

As I already have more controllers than many model shops thought it best to wait and get one later!

Cheers

Ian

Mine arrived today (delayed at my request as I was away for a while).

I will be testing it in the next few weeks, but for now, it is (as has been said earlier) more substantial than I was expecting, which is excellent. The separate hand held "driver" (you don't need one of these, but I will find it useful for shunting in the fiddle yard) is much lighter than I expected, and the connecting wire from the ACE is very lightweight, so top marks for that. The manual is one of the easiest to follow I have ever read.

Apparently, there continues to be good interest from the trade and there should be one or two reviews in the mags soon.

So definite thumbs up. I will post further when tested in anger. Has anyone else given it a spin yet?

• Like 1

Mike, if I could get away with that, not a problem.

I have a funny feeling if I actually suggested that to my wife she would probably insert the controller somewhere that it really shouldn't go :O

As I already have more controllers than many model shops thought it best to wait and get one later!

Cheers

Ian

Having reviewed it carefully, I cannot see a wash button, unfortunately. But if Fraser added one, could you get away with it?

Will be interesting to see which mags do the reviews and what they think of it.

Having had one for a few weeks, yes I do like it remembering it is half way between a controller and a PC.

More functional than just a controller but not as functional as ( say a Hornby Railmaster ) on a PC and is still only the size of a Hornby Elite.

Price wise less than the Elite as well .

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ACE with the additional handsets and being "very" new to railway modelling, I've had no problems understanding and using this system.  

"So far" I have installed a sound decoder into my class 52 and found programming it, rather simple using this unit.

I have got my Western to run and stop very realistically and have even adjusted the individual sound levels of the "function" sounds.  Simple if you've done this before I'm sure, but a real achievement if not.

I was "dribbling" over an ESU ECoS, but this 5 Amp Ace with the additional handsets cost me about half, so thats a "free" loco & sound controller.

If you get one, it does work better using a stylus, just get  a proper pen sized "Nintento DS" one. I will admit it is a little bit  "cottage industry" looking, but it does what it's supposed too and I have found it very enjoyable to use.

Edited by Tankdave
  • Like 2

Anyone know of any videos showing the use of this yet?  Seems really cheap and would be interesting to see how responsive it is and how everything works on it

Perhaps one of the owners on here could do a quick video ? I'm really interested in this controller as it seems really good value . For anyone who's interested , I've sent a few emails to the website. They have all been answered promptly with a friendly informative response . I've just got to save up for one !

• Like 1

Perhaps one of the owners on here could do a quick video ? I'm really interested in this controller as it seems really good value . For anyone who's interested , I've sent a few emails to the website. They have all been answered promptly with a friendly informative response . I've just got to save up for one !

I will suggest it to Fraser. I have only used mine on a straight test track of only 2m to check it worked, which it did absolutely perfectly, but it needs a larger layout to show its full capabilities. All I can say is that it is incredibly easy to learn (I was using it, with sound, within 5 mins), the touch screen works as well as a lap top, response time and controllability is as good as my previous Dynamis, but ease of use is far superior. The hand held extension with rotary knob and only 5 functions (instead of 28) is perfectly ok for shunting etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ACE with the additional handsets and being "very" new to railway modelling, I've had no problems understanding and using this system.  

"So far" I have installed a sound decoder into my class 52 and found programming it, rather simple using this unit.

I have got my Western to run and stop very realistically and have even adjusted the individual sound levels of the "function" sounds.  Simple if you've done this before I'm sure, but a real achievement if not.

I was "dribbling" over an ESU ECoS, but this 5 Amp Ace with the additional handsets cost me about half, so thats a "free" loco & sound controller.

If you get one, it does work better using a stylus, just get  a proper pen sized "Nintento DS" one. I will admit it is a little bit  "cottage industry" looking, but it does what it's supposed too and I have found it very enjoyable to use.

pretty sure its not 5 amp well the one we got today for test is not is says 4 amps on the transformer but is set internally to 3.6 amps but still a great set up 

john

pretty sure its not 5 amp well the one we got today for test is not is says 4 amps on the transformer but is set internally to 3.6 amps but still a great set up 

john

I got the "upgrade" to the 5 Amp model, both 3.5A and 5A are available.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine this week. Had a couple of hours running and so far im very impressed.

post-21151-0-62326000-1465071777.jpeg

Although I will say , my layout will not stretch the Ace to it's full capacity , im really enjoying using it.

• Like 3

This is tempting.. Im worried about naming of function buttons just being generic names as all my locos are have totally different functions on each key...

Shame theres only 5 functions on the walkabout... Otherwise I like the unit!!

Produce a spreadsheet with Loco no at the top and function (F no) so they can be read for each loco when printed . Problem solved.

Who uses more than 5 function controls at any one time, have not really found it a problem !