Disaster pending in Mid Wales

I love Barmouth. We have been every year for the last few years now and i didnt know until this years visit that you could walk over the bridge. While the missus and kids Had fish n Chips i went half way down the bridge to get some pictures of a 158 unit crossing the bridge. It would be a shame if this happened. Beautiful place.

I was always happy to pay the toll.

No doubt, even a suggestion of re-introducing the tolls would cause as much uproar as the postulated closure, but IMO, if going back to tolls would keep it open, surely that'd be a better option than losing it entirely, as I suspect once shut, neglect would soon put the footpath beyond what would be deemed as economical to repair, and it'd never get re-opened.   

Is it now free to cross?  The story implied this.  Surely if 100,000 people cross it, with a £30,000 rent, charging people £1 to cross would cover the costs?

And some - about £70,000 "profit" - but from that comes the cost of manning and maintaining the toll booth(s), administering the money collected and, no doubt, some additional charge for the out source "partner" to run it all. 

It does occur to me that maintaining the bridge to enable 60 or 70 tonne trains to cross it must be the lion's share of the cost and the footpath cannot exactly be a big deal money wise - is NR into a little profiteering here? 

Nice to see a bit of " creative journalism", the actual distance (via the free to walkers Toll Bridge/road at Penmaenpool) from Morfa Mawddach to Barmouth is under 13 miles. However the idea of walking along the A496 with it's blind summits and tight bends with virtually no pavements sends shivers down the spine.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail. Perhaps a small increase in parking charges in the Gwynedd Council area could pay the access fee for the bridge.

Gwynedd Council closed the toll booths as it was costing more to collect the tolls than they took in money.

I'd urge caution in the reaction to this story.  What has prompted this is a consultation by Gwynedd Council into stopping paying the £30k per annum rent that NR charge Gwynedd to use the footpath, not that the Council are closing the bridge per se.  I suspect Gwynedd are flying a kite with a view to either Network rail reducing their rent, the Welsh Government picking up the tab as part of the Wales Coastal Path which the bridge forms part of, or Barmouth Town Council taking on the responsibility.  Given the reaction locally to the idea (which I suspect is also part of the plan) I don't think this is over by a long shot, and the Daily Wail has as usual got hold of the local Cambrian Chipwrap article and twisted it to suit their own political agenda.  Gwynedd is Plaid Cymru controlled after all.

Gwynedd Council closed the toll booths as it was costing more to collect the tolls than they took in money.

I'd urge caution in the reaction to this story.  What has prompted this is a consultation by Gwynedd Council into stopping paying the £30k per annum rent that NR charge Gwynedd to use the footpath, not that the Council are closing the bridge per se.  I suspect Gwynedd are flying a kite with a view to either Network rail reducing their rent, the Welsh Government picking up the tab as part of the Wales Coastal Path which the bridge forms part of, or Barmouth Town Council taking on the responsibility.  Given the reaction locally to the idea (which I suspect is also part of the plan) I don't think this is over by a long shot, and the Daily Wail has as usual got hold of the local Cambrian Chipwrap article and twisted it to suit their own political agenda.  Gwynedd is Plaid Cymru controlled after all.

I agree that it sounds like a typical council move to shift the cost to another body!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

If you believe everything you read in the press word for word that makes you a .........

....... delete those which do not apply :P

It's sabre-rattling.  NR own and operate the bridge and may open or close it as they deem fit and levy a commercial fee for its use by any traffic.  Train operators pay track access charges and the pedestrian walkway attracts an appropriate fee for its ongoing use.

There are other options than closure.  Loss of amenity would be a fair call and to expect walkers to hike an additional 13 miles by road which is some places poses a significant risk to their safety, not to mention adding around 4 hours to their trip time, is in my view unacceptable.

Perhaps they should install a bridge troll to extract largesse from walkers ;)

• RMweb Gold

Take a portion of Network Rail

Add a smaller measure of Welsh local council.

Blend with some Senedd

Season heavily with Daily Mai

A recipe for disaster.l

I'm not currently persuaded that NR is an active ingredient in this particular mix.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not currently persuaded that NR is an active ingredient in this particular mix.

Not least because they would be Rheilffordd Rhwydwaith in that part of the world ;)

Archived