2mm Etched Bufferstops

justin1985

I ordered some of both types of new GER buffer stops from Shop 1. I've just been soldering up one of the lightweight ones for my "Snape Maltings" shunting plank, but I want to check the layout of parts as I can't actually find reference material for this type (tried searching the full GERS Journal index etc but only found a drawing of the other type).

Chris's drawing http://2mm.org.uk/products/instruction_sheets/pdf1-087_drwg.pdf seems to show the lightweight buffer stop with the plain rail on the outside, and the curved upright on the inside of the running rail. This seems unusual compared to the other types, and means there is a long length of rail inboard of the running rail, preventing wheels from getting close.

So should the flat section of the upright be cranked out? (and if so, presumably not too close to the curve?) Or I am misinterpreting the drawing, and the shorter plain section goes on the inside?

Thanks!

Justin

I ordered some of both types of new GER buffer stops from Shop 1. I've just been soldering up one of the lightweight ones for my "Snape Maltings" shunting plank, but I want to check the layout of parts as I can't actually find reference material for this type (tried searching the full GERS Journal index etc but only found a drawing of the other type).

Chris's drawing http://2mm.org.uk/products/instruction_sheets/pdf1-087_drwg.pdf seems to show the lightweight buffer stop with the plain rail on the outside, and the curved upright on the inside of the running rail. This seems unusual compared to the other types, and means there is a long length of rail inboard of the running rail, preventing wheels from getting close.

So should the flat section of the upright be cranked out? (and if so, presumably not too close to the curve?) Or I am misinterpreting the drawing, and the shorter plain section goes on the inside?

Justin,

In light of your findings that the inside fixed rail as illustrated in practice fouls rolling stock wheels, I would suggest the GER lightweight drawing is probably in error - or at least shows it as a cross-section through the track (as seen from 'inside' the running rails). In other words, the fixed rail therefore logically ought to be on the OUTSIDE.

However, the best source will be (as always) photographic evidence. So go through your GER books and seek a photo of a GER lightweight buffer stop for confirmation. Good luck with the model.

Thanks Phil - I'm glad I'm not thinking about it the wrong way or anything! 

After the indexes to the GERS Journal didn't throw anything up I tried just scanning through some recent back-issues, but no luck as yet. Frustratingly, there is usually stock in the way of the buffers in most photos! And the "lightweight" type doesn't appear to be common - bit of a needle in a haystack trying to find one in images showing other things. I imagine the Wild Swan GER Engine Shed volumes might be a good place to look, but my copies are still in storage at my parents' house. Any references would be greatly appreciated! 

Justin

In an article in the gauge O guild gazette about Eastern and Midland stops at Cromer similar "inside framing supports"  were spaced away from the running rail to avoid wheels riding up.

If you're joining us in Stansted tomorrow you can peruse my copies of the engine shed books although a quick check didnt show anything obvious.

Cheers

JOn

Hi Jon,

So in the Cromer example the uprights were bolted to the inside of the rail, but with another length of rail (or something) between them and the running rails as a spacer? Or with a dog leg bend to clear the running rail?

I'm afraid I can't make it to Stansted tomorrow. Hopefully another modelling day before the end of the summer though!

Cheers

Justin

Justin

In Nigel Digbys bok on the M&GN there is a photo of the E&M design at Holt but its the wrong angle to tell how spacing is done - but perhaps the angle is deceptive and the buffers hit before the wheel can rise up?  I have yet to order mine so will be interested to see how its done.  With rail fixed inside both running rails the gauge wil be very narrow!  Could you build the stop on coppercald and just solder these supports using a track gauge to give the clearance from the running rail?

Another thought - might these be in docks and the uprights are check rails bent up?

Cheers

Jon

Thanks Phil - I'm glad I'm not thinking about it the wrong way or anything! 

After the indexes to the GERS Journal didn't throw anything up I tried just scanning through some recent back-issues, but no luck as yet. Frustratingly, there is usually stock in the way of the buffers in most photos! And the "lightweight" type doesn't appear to be common - bit of a needle in a haystack trying to find one in images showing other things. I imagine the Wild Swan GER Engine Shed volumes might be a good place to look, but my copies are still in storage at my parents' house. Any references would be greatly appreciated! 

Justin,

Have a look at this example at Bodmin (GWR): http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-5673-0-07132100-1423996803.jpg  The inside fixed rails on your GER lightweight drawing could be interpreted as being joggled inward so as to provide a flangeway like this.

Sorry guys, you've got it wrong. On this design it is the running rail itself that curves up to form the buffer. Hence it doesn't foul anything and doesn't need jogging. The horizontal rail which you are interpreting as the running rail in fact sits outside it.

You can see an example of the the real thing at Quainton Road - from which I took the dimensions. Or there is a photo from above in the East Suffolk Railway book (the same photo also appears elsewhere).

Chris

Many thanks to Chris for the answer! I found images of the Quianton Road example on flickr. Just not sure if the short length of rail bolted under the sleeper cross-member is original or a later repair?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnoram/14795565645/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barry13092/14328494752/

I had noticed that the two sections of etched "rail" were joined on the etch by an extra wide tab - which was the right width to accommodate a length of code 40 rail between them. Clearly I was over thinking it! 

Justin

Right, here is the completed buffer stop with a dusting of etch primer (very cruel enlargement!) I used a pre-gapped normal PCB sleeper for the buffing plate, although attacked it with some rough sandpaper on the non-copper side to give some impression of wood, and cyano-ed on some remains of broken Easitrac chairs to represent the fixing. I didn't bother with the small length of bolted on rail seen the Quainton Road images as I suspect it might be a later repair. Can't decide whether to bother with cosmetic chairs? I used Versaline chair plates to make sure the rail height matched easitrack, but the solder flowed too much to leave a representation of a chair (probably because the buffer etch was so covered in solder and residues of flux and solder paste from undoing my original incorrect assembly!)

post-3740-0-13035600-1439738343_thumb.jpg

Right, here is the completed buffer stop with a dusting of etch primer (very cruel enlargement!) I used a pre-gapped normal PCB sleeper for the buffing plate, although attacked it with some rough sandpaper on the non-copper side to give some impression of wood, and cyano-ed on some remains of broken Easitrac chairs to represent the fixing. I didn't bother with the small length of bolted on rail seen the Quainton Road images as I suspect it might be a later repair. Can't decide whether to bother with cosmetic chairs? I used Versaline chair plates to make sure the rail height matched easitrack, but the solder flowed too much to leave a representation of a chair (probably because the buffer etch was so covered in solder and residues of flux and solder paste from undoing my original incorrect assembly!)

attachicon.gifDSC08189.JPG

Lovely. I feel this bufferstop is a beautful and elegant design. Although ones does wonder just how effective it would have been at stopping trains!

Chris

Archived