Modelling the M&CR's branch lines in EM gauge

Update - I'm moving house and so not much railway modelling (or pre-war AFVs or 1950s jet prototypes or even 1930s French bombers) for me for a while we get our new house purchased. In the meantime, I'll probably potter about with my various US 'craftsman' kits whilst I'm down in Cardiff - I reckon that the 'Aurora & Pacific RR' shortline and it's associated logging line will be take precedence over the Bolton Loop for a few months until we're ensconsed in Shropshire or Powys. 

• 6 months later...

Just to update the post above.

The Thomas Blacklock 5-Plank open wagons are a C&M Models commission model, so will only be available through C&M - we usually do one Cumbrian wagon per year.

They are due for release at the beginning of November, which dovetails in with the Workington show on November 19th/20th.

Price is not yet finalised.

• Like 2

The Thomas Blacklock 5-Plank open wagons are a C&M Models commission model, so will only be available through C&M - we usually do one Cumbrian wagon per year.

They are due for release at the beginning of November, which dovetails in with the Workington show on November 19th/20th.

Great, can't wait to see them

• 1 month later...

Update - I'm moving house and so not much railway modelling (or pre-war AFVs or 1950s jet prototypes or even 1930s French bombers) for me for a while we get our new house purchased. In the meantime, I'll probably potter about with my various US 'craftsman' kits whilst I'm down in Cardiff - I reckon that the 'Aurora & Pacific RR' shortline and it's associated logging line will be take precedence over the Bolton Loop for a few months until we're ensconsed in Shropshire or Powys. 

Really enjoyed seeing your work on Mealsgate, and I hope you return to it.

• Agree 1

Hope however it is going, it's going well!

• Agree 1

Hope however it is going, it's going well!

Thanks  - We're very close to moving to just outside Ludlow into a house with a very large shed / very small barn that is already earmarked for my workshop and the layouts (Mealsgate, High Blaithwaite and hopefully Linefoot Junction and the Aurora & Pacific Logging and Traction co.). As predicted, I've been working on my stack of American craftsman kits whilst down in Cardiff and have just completed the JV Models Boyd logging camp - these plank by plank kits have opened my eyes to building exactly as per the prototype !

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just bought one today at the Workington show. Now, as all of my existing PO wagons are only lettered on one side only, I'll have to get another matching but unpainted Dapol wagon  and somehow cut them in half lengthways to make two wagons out of it.... ermm, mebbe not !  

Edited by CKPR

• 3 months later...

Still no new modelling to report but I've been to my 'new' local model railway show at Ludlow where there was nowt of a pre-grouping nature to report, unless you count the excellent 'Up the line', a well modelled and very atmospheric WW1 7mm narrow gauge model. However, I did exchange £25 for this beauty to add to my collection of  Codar control equipment and which will no doubt be used on 'Mealsgate' at some point.

post-20683-0-03663500-1489268124_thumb.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to Ludlow CKPR, there are a few RMWebbers dotted around the town. Nearest decent model shop is Hereford which is easy to reach by train. Your models look fantastic, it would be great to see them at the local show one day.

• Like 2

Welcome to Ludlow CKPR, there are a few RMWebbers dotted around the town. Nearest decent model shop is Hereford which is easy to reach by train. Your models look fantastic, it would be great to see them at the local show one day.

Thank you - everything is up in Cumbria at the moment but I'm hoping to bring 'Mealsgate' down soon (I'm working on the soon-to-be Mrs CKPR...) and to get working on the scenery and proper buildings for Mealsgate. I'd love to bring it along to the local show and Ludlow racecourse is much nearer than it's debut outing in Workington (still on the LNWR though !).

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Just realised that it's three years since I last posted anything about 'Mealsgate' and to be honest, there's been next to no progress what with our house move and all the redecoration  / renovation this entailed. However, I've got  two scratch-built  M&C engines on the bench and I'm about to start hacking up a  Geo. Norton LYR 'ironclad' into one of the M&C's  Beyer-Peacock 0-6-0s  - anyone who thinks this is a mortal sin can stop me putting my soul in grave danger by the simple act  of scratch-building me one in EM!

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteamAle said:

Neil. Yes. They will be advertised in CRA Lakes Express.  I hope to sort things out, whenever I can find the time. These have taken SIX years to come to fruition. I can do direct sales if you want.

philip@steamale.co.uk

Thanks Philip. Definitely need to get on and join the CRA then!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2019 at 13:26, SteamAle said:

Well, not before time! Thought you had abandoned us. Andrew and I were just commenting on the fact that you seemed to have gone into hibrnation.

I've been working on an O gauge M&C Chauldron wagon. Master by Mike F. Body cast in resin. Chassis in Whitemetal by Paul B. Lost wax brass break gear by Sanspareil. Etch drawings by Mike P. Assembly and mistakes all my own work!

Will be on sale at Preston MRE 2&3 March 2019. £45 each with a discount for CRA members.

P1040520s.jpg

P1040514s.jpg

That really is not the sort of mineral train one sees every day on here - superb!

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

At long last, there has been some progress on 'Mealsgate' ! Well, on the locomotives that will run on 'Mealsgate' at any rate as I've re-started work on M&CR No.7, an 0-6-0 built by the M&CR at their Maryport works in 1890. I hinted that there would be little in the way of 21st century technology in the building of  'Mealsgate' and so No.7 is being slowly sawn, filed and soldered from nickel silver and brass together with some judicious finds in the stores. Following the  'no styrene' rule I apply to my engines, the next step after tidying up the soldering of the splashers will be the fabrication of the distinctive double buffer beams from nickel silver and bass wood scraps from one of my US 'craftsman' kits - I'm quite looking forward to this after the battle with the splashers, which is always my least favourite part of scratch-building locomotives. The mechanical spec is EM, beam compensation on both the engine and tender with Markits wheels, a Mashima 1220 motor and a Branchlines 80:1 gearbox.

IMG_20200113_112131.jpg

IMG_20200113_112050.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

29 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Looks to me like someone's collared an NER 398 in Carlisle and measured it...

This is the M&CR, remember, the master practitioners of the art of locomotive plagiarism !

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Looks familiar ! This is my third attempt at M&CR No 26 and it may have the odd part from the Nu-cast 'BTP' kit that formed the basis of the first two attempts that are best forgotten about. It  has the same basic specification as No. 7, with a Mashima 1220 and flywheel hidden in the well tank and connected via a neoprene shaft to a ModelYard gearbox on the front driving axle. All the usual 0-4-4T fun and games applied and after several attempts to produce a fully compensated chassis, the rear driving wheels are compensated and the bogie is centre pivoted and sprung vertically and, less successfully, laterally. Aside from the chassis, the most awkward part of the whole build was actually sourcing the parts for the buffers and from memory, these are fabricated from at least two different makes. Surprisingly, it runs really well, albeit needing some careful adjustment now and again and I really must finish the lettering, install her crew and wire up the GOW bulb for the firebox glow effect  ( I've got a thing about fully detailed cabs that probably dates back to my teenage apprenticeship in military modelling  - anyone else remember Bandai's 1:48 scale AFV kits with full interior detail ?).

IMG_20200113_142655.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9