Modelling the M&CR's branch lines in EM gauge

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/07/2021 at 23:51, CKPR said:

[For the record, CKPR's sole engagement with football is an atavistic grudge against Wimbledon AFC or whatever they're called these days, for taking the place of Workington Town in the league in 1977]

Just to pick nits Workington Town are still going strong in the league.

They are the Rugby League side whereas Workington were (and still are) the football team.

The rugby team were formed in the fifties and had to use a different name for legal reasons.

When I watched Rugby League as a kid I used to wonder why there were so few "Towns" or "Cities" until I found out that the rugby teams generally predated the soccer teams.

Ian T

• Informative/Useful 3

32 out of 32 completed - I'm aiming to add the rest of the iron work to the new  ACC wagons in the next few days and then need to sort out buffers, springs and brake levers. For the latter, I'll probably use the last of the ABS ones in stock  as the other three ACC wagons need these as well and I'm not going to start faffing around with MT / Wizard etched brass parts at this stage (there's a reason I've moved up to 'O' gauge !).

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...

Splashed a bit of cash to buy the final parts to complete all seven of the Allerdale Coal Co. wagons to the same standard / specification and then just the lettering to sort out (wibble, wibble, wibble).

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

The Allerdale Coal Co. wagons are now in the paintshops, along with various L&Y, GCR and, ermm, BR wagons -  at least the latter are just grey or bauxite whilst I've got to mix a shade of red to match the colour of  the original three ACC hoppers.

Update - All seven of the ACC hoppers have been (re)painted as I ended up doing the first three in the 'new' red that I had mixed up.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

An appropriate place marker whilst I finish off the painting and lettering of various wagons. Bassenthwaite Lake was, of course, on the CKPR and is one of my favourite places ever since the mid-1960s when I was first taken to watch the 'sail boats'. Sadly, the CKPR was abandoned west of Keswick by 1966 and so I only knew the station after it closed, but remember the permanently open crossing gates and the line still being intact.

Here's a little puzzler for you  - how many lakes are there in the Lake District ?

M&C label.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Being curious, I looked up the station, and found an attractive passing point in a pleasant scenic setting, with good looking stone buildings, all very modellable.

Then I saw what’s currently happening there, Blow me! A wooden Mountain. Bit too big for my lines.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Then I saw what’s currently happening there, Blow me! A wooden Mountain. Bit too big for my lines.

Yes that was a surprise, but then I was reading a discussion recently about 3D printing full sized replicas of historic locomotives for museums so it's not as strange as it might be.

• Like 1

Ahhh yes, the restoration of Bassenthwaite Lake station and the  installation of the anachronistic German locomotive film prop, of which I shall say no more, save that I have undertaken my own modest restoration of an LMS (ex-CKPR ?) poster board rescued many years ago from the ruins of the old station. Actually, I will say some more  as there is clearly much unserviceable rolling stock mouldering away on heritage railways the length and breadth of the UK and which will never turn a wheel again. Surely some late period LMS or LNER coaches (possibly ex-BR engineers fleet) could have been found that would have been more in keeping with Bassenthwaite Lake station ?

Edited by CKPR
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I suppose that the coaches are in good nick internally, even if not runners, and presumably going at a knockdown price, so as a hospitality venue in pleasant surroundings, it would make good sense. There are plenty of old coaches rotting away, agreed, but doing them up involves a lot of hard labour.

The loco is a copy of one of the French Eastern Railway (C.F. de l’EST) 4-8-2 machines.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone was wondering where I had got to, I thought I'd better post an update. I've had real problems accessing RMWeb since the last reboot or whatever it was - I can't make the pop up privacy notice go away and so have pretty much given trying to use RMWeb on my Mac book (writing this on my ancient Huawei Android phone). There is some modelling to report but writing updates via the phone is quite awkward to be honest. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Some time back, using my iPad, my wife managed to make everything go very faint, and in the end I went back on to “factory settings”, and managed to get everything clear again. Previously I had been getting a lot of grief logging in since the last RMweb software change, but it has now improved. Maybe this could work for you, it seems to be an Apple thing. You can lose some items like stored passwords when you do it, however.

• Informative/Useful 1

Dougal

Clicked on link to read your post and it was not there! View came up full screen width and I could not get past August posting. Went back to e-mail and clicked on Topic heading rather than go to this posting. Took me to page six and then I got to nine and found your post.

Aspatria has not been updated because I spent over an hour typing up a posting one night pressed a button and lost everything. Couldn't be bothered to spend time trying to redo it all. There again nothing has happenned to Aspatria for several months due to a family crisis after  broken toe in June. Workington show went very well and Port Solway in S4 with a rake of M&CR chauldron wagons running made my weekend.

Philip

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes it seems like the forum has been a buggy old lot since the last time the IT chaps were let loose on it.  Makes a good match for the general state of desertion of the pre-grouping forum of late.  Much like waiting for the last train of the night in the pouring rain.

p8KEU6I.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

I can see it's somewhere on SpotRail, but can't tell where!:scratchhead:  And that looks more like The White Stuff, rather than The Wet Stuff.

Jim

Jim

Sorry the photo had no details as to where it was taken Jim.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

All that faffing about with Adverts was ruining my enjoyment of RMweb so when my subs for gardenrail needed renewing I opted for World of Railways and Gold membership. Much better now. Considering the time I spend on here very reasonable plus I have access to BRM as well as Garden Rail

Don

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Donw said:

All that faffing about with Adverts was ruining my enjoyment of RMweb so when my subs for gardenrail needed renewing I opted for World of Railways and Gold membership. Much better now. Considering the time I spend on here very reasonable plus I have access to BRM as well as Garden Rail

Don

Being of a naturally suspicious bent, I assumed that all these adverts and pop-up windows and stuff are designed to drive us into taking out gold membership. Okay, Warners provide the platform – but we provide the content.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Warners provide the platform – but we provide the content.

That costs them money, and us time.

I don’t think there are any ulterior motives, just a simple business proposition. If we provided less content, then we wouldn’t need such a large and expensive to host forum, so it comes back on itself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1