Modelling the M&CR's branch lines in EM gauge

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2021 at 15:54, Caley Jim said:

I can see it's somewhere on SpotRail, but can't tell where!:scratchhead:  And that looks more like The White Stuff, rather than The Wet Stuff.

Jim

Jim

Jim,

This photo won a competition at St. Andrews, so my guess it is Edinburgh.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2021 at 14:17, SteamAle said:

Dougal

Clicked on link to read your post and it was not there! View came up full screen width and I could not get past August posting. Went back to e-mail and clicked on Topic heading rather than go to this posting. Took me to page six and then I got to nine and found your post.

Aspatria has not been updated because I spent over an hour typing up a posting one night pressed a button and lost everything. Couldn't be bothered to spend time trying to redo it all. There again nothing has happenned to Aspatria for several months due to a family crisis after  broken toe in June. Workington show went very well and Port Solway in S4 with a rake of M&CR chauldron wagons running made my weekend.

Philip

M&CR chauldron wagons on the Port Solway layout (scratch-built using resin casting).  Glad they made your weekend.  All the best for 2022.

Port Solway_3236s.jpg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

They do look nice, don't they? I've still got to put mine together (Charlie gave me some of his castings). Tried to find the time but other things keep getting in the way. My trouble is I enjoy helping others but that then stops me doing things for myself. Never get the balance right, maybe one day!

Hope eveybody is keeping well and looking forward to things improving next year!

Philip

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still struggling with the 'upgraded' RM Web and hence this rare post using my phone from a hotel lobby in that there London. Anyway, the latest edition of "Cumbrian Railways" arrived last week, which contained an interesting article on C&WJR wagons conveying coke from West Wylam on the Newcastle & Carlisle line back to West Cumberland. As this coke traffic obviously travelled over the M&CR and said wagons looked straightforward, I've broken my no more scratch-building in 4mm pledge and got the plasticard out. I might have some photographs of work in progress by the weekend. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

The trio of C&WJR coke hoppers are substantially complete bar detailing and the end  brake gear (I'm going to cheat and use the NER end brakes available from Wizard Models). And the end pillars. I thought I could use some old Kenline parts but these just aren't chunky enough and do spoil the look of the ends, especially with the prominent end brake levers. As I have neither a lathe nor a 3D printer,  recourse to a jig and the rather natty little plane that has been cluttering up my toolbox for years will be in order. 

NB By 'jig', I am of course referring to something constructed from mounting board and soaked in Rustin's knotting (shellac), not a proper jig machined from mild steel. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 11
  • Funny 1

On 12/08/2015 at 22:50, CKPR said:

Here's a few pictures of some of the M&CR and other West Cumberland prototype rolling stock that has been glimpsed in my previous posts about the M&CR horse box and in the above pictures from the Workington exhibition. The LNWR iron ore hopper (which certainly never ran to Mealsgate) and Moresby Coal Co wagon are from rakes of five and four respectively that I built a few years ago (about 25 years ago in the case of the former !) as part of my long-term ambition to build a model of Linefoot Junction (M&CR and Cleator &Workington Junction Rly) - the Moresby wagons are all lettered for the C&WJR on the other side !

post-20683-0-23734900-1439412216_thumb.jpg

post-20683-0-44901200-1439412235_thumb.jpg

post-20683-0-35050400-1439412261_thumb.jpg

post-20683-0-05568900-1439412287_thumb.jpg

Hi which kit is the hopper wagon

John 

• Like 1

Hi John - All my West Cumberland rolling stock is scratch built bar a 51L FR open and a couple of D&S LNWR wooden hopper wagons - I scratch built the Flimby Colliery PO wagon before realising it was the same design as the LNWR wooden hoppers. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20220306_114912.jpg.9753cd938321caac64b79d4fb8d860c9.jpgA few evenings work on No 7 has seen handrails fitted together with the bulk of the pipework. There were obviously  injectors below the footplate beside the ash pan and fabricating these will the next job. I also need to enlarge the spectacles, which would have been  much easier to do in the flat but I forgot. Plenty of progress by my standards but where is No. 20? 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Alas, No. 20 has been shunted in the box containing my other stalled projects (M&CR 0-4-2 No. 4, an FR 2-4-2T, and a WISC YEC 0-4-0 DM, to name but three). Her cab needed more work and the amount of bodging was getting too much, together with the fact that her frames were all wrong. I'll probably rebuild her Crewe-style, reusing just the wheels, rods and bufferbeam with a new all metal body. No. 20 Mk II won't be the first rebuild in my M&CR stud as both No. 17 and No. 26 are replacement engines and contain the odd part or two from the previous attempts that were scrapped in the cold light of day. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I'm chancing fate here, but at least I've got all of the necessary tube, wire, washers and nuts. Better have my tea first - you don't want to do this sort of thing on an empty stomach! 

IMG_20220308_174648.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

T'other injector now fabricated - I assembled this one straight onto the pipework from the steam feed and clack valves and I'll definitely use this technique again when I get round to No. 4 and No. 20. There's still some minor pipework and the sandbox operating rods to add but I think I'll make the backhead and rest of the cab fittings next as a break from making things in pairs. 

Just realised the water feed end trunnion is a bit wonky but it'll be a simple job to align it at the next session on the bench. 

IMG_20220309_203530.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12

Reading the GSWRA booklet on Smellie' '22' class engines, the Scottish cousins of Smellie's M&CR engines, it looks like one of the 'pipes' from the cab front going diagonally to the injectors is actually a control rod going to a  valve on the injectors. Should be straightforward to reproduce this with some straight wire. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 3

As one of the authors of the G&SWRA booklet on the 22 class,and having built a couple of models,  I can confirm that the angled rod is the water control for the injectors. The steam supply comes down from the top of the firebox with a valve on the top of the boiler and the wheel controlling it inside the cab. This system was used on the Smellie and Manson engines including the single 361 class which was built for the M&CR.

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the G&SWRA monograph, here is the backhead for No. 7 - I need to sort out the R/H side and I'll be adding a couple of small damper & sanding levers to the sides. The water gauges will be represented by a couple of small pieces of Evergreen strip after painting - these will be the only pieces of  plastic in the model as the cab floor will be made from very thin ply or obeche. I have made the firebox door and this will have to be glued on (utterly heathen, I know), as previous attempts to solder it resulted in the inevitable falling off of everything else! 

IMG_20220408_100803.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 9

Pre-grouping modelling puzzle picture #1 - this is pretty much the core motive power for the second part of CKPR's 'last great project'. Any guesses what it is to be? A couple of clues are the title of this thread and then the really obvious one. 

IMG_20220408_143350.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, CKPR said:

Nearly there

In which case how about Cockermouth, as the effective if not actual end of the M&C Derwent branch?  Or are you after the multiplatformed splendour of Keswick for those times the Derwent services made it that far?!

Either way, interesting prototypes!

(And of course I could still be wrong, and you're going real magnum opus and doing Maryport...)

• Like 1

Yes, Cockermouth it is, not least because I was born there. I did consider Maryport, albeit in its 1976 format, which is very modellable compared to 1906. In fact, the whole of the M&C would be feasible with the 1976 track plan - even the Mealsgate line was still connected and used as a siding, complete with a TOPS code!

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CKPR said:

Yes, Cockermouth it is, not least because I was born there. I did consider Maryport, albeit in its 1976 format, which is very modellable compared to 1906. 

Yes Maryport in its M&C heyday would be a heck of a challenge to do justice to..!

Cockermouth though has lots of interest... How was it worked as far as the M&C trains were concerned when they terminated there?  Did they use what looks like a platform on the southern side of the island platform, or just run into the Keswick-bound platform as LNW trains would have done?

All the best

Neil 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1