Help to decide what to model

Hi All,

I have now finally created a layout of track that fits my area and now looking how to change it into somthing special. My period is the 90's to 00 era but with special steam loco runs that you see from time to time.

Unfortunantly I dont have to space to put into my model inclines in the track (ie keeping the graident low enough so trains keep running) and I would like to incorporate a port / docks in the model. I need help in how I can link a town scene with a historical piece (old fort / castle) and port plus have a nice landscaple piece as well.

The layout is a simple double track system which will have high speed running with 1 station stop. Then from this branching off in 2 different locations end terminal stations and 1 port / harbour / beach scene with the other having a TDM / coach stroage yard.

The model is a 12ft by 8ft rectangle module design (for storage) with each base board having a width of 2.5 ft and the center is for operation / control of trains.

any thoughts would be welcomed.

cheers

mark

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that we have quite enough detail there to be able to help you. It seems that you have already placed some of the track which will limit the options.

But, as a general point, with a 12' x 8' layout you should be able to have reasonable gradients to allow different levels.

You could look at places like York, Bristol or Conway, where there is historic city walls along side modern city buildings and historic docksides with rail access.

You could also look at a location like Weymouth where the track ran along the dock to the station.

Dont give up just try playing around with different ideas and most of all enjoy what you are doing

I don't think that we have quite enough detail there to be able to help you. It seems that you have already placed some of the track which will limit the options.

But, as a general point, with a 12' x 8' layout you should be able to have reasonable gradients to allow different levels.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your input about this. Currently no track has been placed as I am in the designing mode what I am happy with is the layout plan I have created unfortunatley I cant give a full overview picture as I have had to create the layout in 6 different sections in anyrail software (I cant justify spending £40 on the full version and limited to 50 pieces). The scale is in oo as regards to gradient I have read that a 1 :37 is the minimum you can do for gradient (ie 1 cm rise for 37cm of track length) thus I need about 10 ft to ensure I can pass trains over and under. The best I have is a section which is 6 ft without any points.

Archived