Farish AC Electric Loco

ThaneofFife

Hallo,

"What do you class as very expensive?" is, as "Red Death" rightly says, the real question and moreover what your priorities are for spending money. A 92 already exists in N, has done for years, however not everyone will want to (or can) afford ca GBP600 for such a model, even if it does run forever.
When I purchase such locos I save up for months before committing. It is not always easy.....

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Premium

I suspect many would have to save up for years... They are a truly exorbitant sum of money!

whilst the CJM models are stunning, and I've hovered over the 'buy' button many times I'm actually put off doing so by the prospect of a mainstream release. Whilst they are stunning bits of kit I really can't justify one, and I actually think I'd enjoy it less if Dapol/Farish/Revolution later made on at 20% the price.

to those who've mentioned it I think an 89 would be madness! One loco, in the works more often than not, and only two liveries(?). Not even comparable to a Deltic in terms of risk and obscurity!

I suspect many would have to save up for years... They are a truly exorbitant sum of money!

whilst the CJM models are stunning, and I've hovered over the 'buy' button many times I'm actually put off doing so by the prospect of a mainstream release. Whilst they are stunning bits of kit I really can't justify one, and I actually think I'd enjoy it less if Dapol/Farish/Revolution later made on at 20% the price.

to those who've mentioned it I think an 89 would be madness! One loco, in the works more often than not, and only two liveries(?). Not even comparable to a Deltic in terms of risk and obscurity!

The 89 has had at least 4 liveries ICE, ICS, GNER early, GNER late, plus variations. I think the reference was to Deltic (DP1) rather than a Class 55.

From information I have previously read (on wiki so not 100%) the 89 and 92 have similar bogie centres (10.9m) and 'fairy similar' bogies.

I know when I mentioned Deltic I was referring to DP! which also spent a fair bit of time in the works.

Both loco's were prototypes and a certain amount of mollycoddling was to be expected.

Deltic still seems to have sold pretty well so I just wonder if the 89 would do as well albeit it is a little less well known?

Cheers

Mark

id have thought anything is up for possible retooling or new models regarding of region era or class numbers.

would be a shame if we are looking at 10 years+ before you can have an N gauge layout with a good raft of beautifully detailed AC locos on it (bar Dapol 86 unless they go to other liveries) hauling all these lovely coaches and wagons we now have.

Right now it's too much already.  £100 for a Dapol 121/122 and a Farish 150.  I forgot the Farish CEP and 350 which would also be suitable and they're likely to be about £120-140.  Yes I know that right now some retailers are shifting old stock of these with some nice discount, but that won't last forever and the future forecast as we all know is big price rises.

You can get a Greenmax or Tomix imported for c. £35.  Much better.  Yes it's it's not DCC and light equipped like those RTR models, and whilst it would be nice for a simple access to make it DCC, it doesn't it right off the bat.  It's just a shame the G&T chassis are all incorrect dimms for British prototypes.  I accept both G&T have other successful product ranges which undoubtably helps support the production and cost of the spare chassis, but even so I would have though a simple well engineered British prototype chassis could come in at c. £50.

You can buy a Dapol Class 121 running chassis complete from DCC Supplies, which is what I did when I needed a chassis for a kit (a class 128 parcels unit, so the 121 chassis is perfect).  It wasn't as much as a new 121 but it wasn't as cheap as £50.

• RMweb Gold

As for the Class 89, I have just taken delivery of a resin kit from AEM Models to fit the Graham Farish (new) 47. The castings need a lot of cleaning but the overall shape and detail is spot-on.

It does mean some actual old-school modelling but won't upset the bank manager (and the missus) :)

• 4 months later...

Farish have replied and confirmed there are no plans to reintroduce the Class 87 to the catalogue so those new liveried versions for 002 and 005 announced a 18/24 months back will not see the light of day.  Shame as these are the very liveries that match up nicely to the forthcoming Mk2f coaches.

Farish have replied and confirmed there are no plans to reintroduce the Class 87 to the catalogue so those new liveried versions for 002 and 005 announced a 18/24 months back will not see the light of day.  Shame as these are the very liveries that match up nicely to the forthcoming Mk2f coaches.

That's a shame as it's the original liveries from the 70's and 80's that are generally the most popular so would sell well.

Hi Gang,

That's a shame as the 87 makes a great model with a little detailing.

Guess, I'll have to work through my existing stock of bodies whenever I feel the urge to have another one for the fleet.

I'm guessing the same response for the 90.

On a tangent, I wonder if dropping these would give an RTR 92 a clear run. Or would that just be a conspiracy theory???

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Hi Gang,

That's a shame as the 87 makes a great model with a little detailing.

Guess, I'll have to work through my existing stock of bodies whenever I feel the urge to have another one for the fleet.

I'm guessing the same response for the 90.

On a tangent, I wonder if dropping these would give an RTR 92 a clear run. Or would that just be a conspiracy theory???

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

They could always shrink the Bachmann 85!

Well there is a new Bachmann 90 in the works for OO gauge, so its a reasonable assumption that it might get shrunk, unless sales really disappoint. More likely than an 85, I'd have thought.

I think both are likely as the Farish 90, although not a bad model, could do with re tooling. Even a new 91 and set of Mk4's wild be a good proposition. Plenty of liveries to offer on both so would suit many peoples layouts.

Archived