Hornby New Measurement Train HST Concessions Exclusive

Yes, let's delay another model release by a couple of months. I think I have some rattle-can black primer, some masking tape and 5 minutes to spare... you should try it. It's far more satisfying that wasting a lot more time composing an email complaint, unless of course you get more satisfaction from that than actual modelling...

Apologies for the irony, but I've only looked at six threads on RMWeb this morning and five of them have been a complete whingefest.

I couldn't agree more. For me while I'm asleep Great Britain is wide awake and so when I awake I usually have a lot to run through. It gets really really bugging when I wake up and look at the whinging going on in quite a few topics on RMweb. Most recently you can have a look at people getting a bit jittery about the S15 video that Hornby posted in the lastest "The Engine Shed" blog.

Thanks.  I had hoped it was the other power car.  I could then have used 43062 with the previous release power car which I had sound chipped.  That's not made the decision any easier whether to buy it or not.

While I respect the position that the grills can be corrected in moments, I do not dismiss those opinions which differ from my own, I respect others views, as it is very reasonable...if paying around £100±. I shall, as I said in the OP, be painting these black and I understand it is a hobby item - not a BMW. I would of hoped my opinion and view would of been respected, that for the price one would expect a far higher quality control over artwork...especially with such a glaring mistake (when reviewing any photo or the previous NMT pack), though I am sure the artwork was perfectly researched, the failure was QC at the factory before the production run was approved from the sample. I am disappointed and I wanted to know that I was not alone, which seems I am not.

I recall when on the NMT I got talking about the upcoming R3366 with the staff who were shocked it cost £210 and said for that price 'it better be good!'. That is just an outside opinion, but one where many customers across many hobbies, interests and the market at large, expect. I think the NR staff members comment sums it up very nicely. 

I am still very much hoping the photos on the Hornby site are not of the main production model. I note though it is available with Hornby, none of the concession stores have it yet. (My order being with a local concession rather than Hornby direct).

I thought this was a concession/online exclusive I see Hattons and Kernow both have this in stock, I have to say this is rather regular occurrence where these models appear after release at some of the big mail order firms. It seems like Hornby are saying pre-order from us only when announced and then clearing the stock through the large mail order firms when they haven't sold enough themselves. 

• RMweb Gold

Certainly is "Network Rail Measurement Train Drive Units - Website and Concession Exclusive - R3366" from Hornby's website.

Disappointing that it has happened again, although at least on this occasion the pricing is not as bad as before. The Hattons' price is a tiny bit above the Hornby Club discounted price so hopefully not too many people feeling hard done by this time. I still think the availability of coaches is a critical driver for things like this.

• 5 weeks later...

Hornby have released the latest photos of the upcoming NMT power cars 43014 and 43062.

I am very excited about this release, in having a chance to ride on the real NMT with the mentioned locos.

(Ill give it away, the front grills are meant to be black. This totally throws off the look of the models, and for £209.99 one would hope it was to be spot on correct! If it was around the original price I paid for the last NMT HST of £114.99 I would not of minded, but for such a premium price you would of hoped!)

Shall email Hornby on Monday and though I suspect they won't reply. I hope they read this!

Well I am honest, I had been losing faith in Hornby, but they have significantly altered this today. I just went to the porters to find a parcel waiting for me. Before I show what, some history. I emailed Hornby over my disappointment with the new NMT, as I mentioned here, where I was rather suitably offered for Hornby's in-house modeller/painter to correct the livery error on the grills. Great result I thought for a model which cost £209.95. But Hornby have not just satisfied my original disappointment, but have excelled in painting the camera box too. Utterly fantastic and I am currently convinced Hornby are back on track. Great customer service, I want to say that publicly, as in this case they deserve it.

Look what was in my parcel:

post-22366-0-24072800-1443534388_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Well I am honest, I had been losing faith in Hornby, but they have significantly altered this today. I just went to the porters to find a parcel waiting for me. Before I show what, some history. I emailed Hornby over my disappointment with the new NMT, as I mentioned here, where I was rather suitably offered for Hornby's in-house modeller/painter to correct the livery error on the grills. Great result I thought for a model which cost £209.95. But Hornby have not just satisfied my original disappointment, but have excelled in painting the camera box too. Utterly fantastic and I am currently convinced Hornby are back on track. Great customer service, I want to say that publicly, as in this case they deserve it.

attachicon.gifWP_20150929_003.jpg

Looking at the roof lining it looks a bit wobbly to me, seems to dip down in places?.

Darren

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the roof lining it looks a bit wobbly to me, seems to dip down in places?.

Darren

That is due to the black part being incorrectly painted. The black should extend to the edges of the windscreen and there should be no yellow visible between the black and the windscreen. Unfortunately Hornby have painted it round and so the orange cantrail stripe exaggerates the fact and makes it look wavy.

attachicon.gifWP_20150929_003.jpg

Thanks for the tip.  I emailed them last night and low and behold I had a very polite response first thing this morning offering for them to correct the error.  Very impressive.

It's now winging it's way to Sandwich.  Well done Hornby.

All very good, but it takes seconds to look at a photo and avoid these problems in the first place !

I couldn't agree more, they should be more careful.

However at least they have accepted the error and are offering those who get in contact with them to correct it.

• RMweb Gold

All very good, but it takes seconds to look at a photo and avoid these problems in the first place !

It isn't, it is like proof-reading text, once you've read it a few times it becomes increasingly difficult to spot even obvious mistakes. Basic brain functioning. Very easy to look at something familiar and not notice the change or difference or flaw.

Not ideal but entirely human, and no one is perfect or flawless. The important thing is how they respond, which seems very good. I wonder if I purchase one from Hornby it will arrive with the grills painted?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The livery is only correct up to about late 2010/mid-2011, that's when they were fitted with upper marker lights and lost the bodyside stripes/logos. (43013 was done about April 2011 - haven't checked for 43014/43062)

I think they were also re-engined with MTU's about then.

Cheers,

Mick

I'm assuming that this comment relates to the models of 43014 and 43062 which were a concession exclusive.  Have you any idea what time period the Power Cars in the earlier release (ie 43013 and 43014) represent?  Wikipedia suggests that the Paxman Valenta engines were replaced with MTU engines by Brush Traction in 2009/10, so I'm interested in ascertaining what sound files would be correct.