Ruston Quays

Huw Griffiths

• Administrators

A couple of electronics questions.

This months article on wiring the Gaugemaster Shuttle system has seen a couple of questions come my way.

Question 1 -  believe I am correct in saying that your 2nd circuit diagram showing 3 alternative stopping points will not work as you intend.
The train will always stop at the 1st track break and, if the switch is open, it cannot be driven out.
The two switches should be in parallel with their respective diodes, so that when made will allow the train to run on to the next break; but cause the train to stop at that break if the switch is open.

Sidingdiodes.jpg

I see the confusion here. The diodes shown on the plan are only representative. Sadly, there is no symbol for a switchable diode so I had to improvise.

Drawing the full diagram by each break would be cluttered, especially when the plan is reproduced at a small size. However, I did provide the full details in caption 3 of the article, along with a photo of the switch fitted with a diode.

switchy.jpg

Question 2 - Does the SS1 actually swap the points over ? Or dose it need to have more diodes in it to have more than one train ?

The SS1 (The Shuttle control unit)  just makes the train go back and forth. Point switching is a seperate manual operation.

Only one train can operate at a time, to use 2, I'll leave one isolated in the platform and the other platform road and fiddle yard are effectively a single length of track .

Layoutview.jpg
Edited by Phil Parker
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A couple of electronics questions.

This months article on wiring the Gaugemaster Shuttle system has seen a couple of questions come my way.

...The diodes shown on the plan are only representative. Sadly, there is no symbol for a switchable diode so I had to improvise.

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?

post-7573-0-41456200-1442956932.jpg

I take it that you've also installed a "diode with track break" arrangement at the far ends of both track spurs (at the other end of the line).

In case anyone without an electronics background is wondering why I made the last comment, this basic arrangement is an "old school" method of ensuring that DC model railway locos stop moving before they reach the end of the track - a method which relies on the wiring convention set out in NMRA standard S-9. I can't remember the exact wording, but the basic message is as follows:

• Locomotives shall be wired for 12V DC operation.
  • Direction change shall be provided by means of polarity reversal. A positive potential applied to the right hand rail shall produce forward motion.

Over the years, a number of companies have sold track wiring testers which rely on this convention to tell you if power is getting to a stretch of track on a layout. They generally use LEDs (with suitable series resistors) as the indicators. Usually, LEDs only conduct in one direction, lighting up in the process. LEDs don't like high reverse voltages - but this can be taken care of by fitting another LED, wired the opposite way round (which, rather helpfully, lights up instead when the "juice" gets reversed). In this way, it's possible to use the LEDs to show which way round the track is wired.

Returning to "Ruston Quays", I've got an electronics related question of my own - a question which might seem stupid, but isn't:

From various photos, I can see that the type number on the diodes starts with "1N400". What's the last digit of the type number?

The 1N4001 - 1N4007 series are 1A rectifier diodes. The last digit of the type number is a coded reference to the reverse voltage they're rated as being able to deal with - good practice calling for some safety margin over and above the currents and voltages which these components are likely to encounter.

Since I believe Gaugemaster sell these diodes as being suitable for this job (and I'm sure they'd play safe), I was curious just how much of a safety margin they'd allowed for.

While I think of it, do you ever find trains a bit "slow out of the blocks" when the "shuttle unit" reverses the "juice"? My reason for asking this is that, like with all semiconductor devices, there is a significant voltage drop across diodes when they conduct. If trains also stop a bit suddenly when they reach the end of the line, I suspect that it might be possible to use this as the basis for a refinement to the wiring, which might cause trains to slow down a bit before stopping.

I'd prefer not to go into detail right now - mainly because I'd wish to do a bit of experimenting first - but I think it should be possible.

Anyway, that's more than enough from me for now.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

I have been using this method of auto shuttle for many years. used on models from OO up to G gauge. I had some timer units from another supplier, but over the years some have failed, but the Gaugemaster one has performed perfectly. I am not certain but Gaugemaster sell two different packs and I have the one for bigger trains. I had assumed it was probably just different diodes, but there might also be some slight difference in the unit. As I have used shuttle on many layouts, I have diodes from various model railway suppliers. Pity I did not read this before show yesterday as I could have asked one of the people at the exhibition I was at, as he supplies varios electronic bits including diodes and some DCC stuff.

I do have some DCC fitted locos, which run happily on analogue, as most USA models do. Anyway when running one of these on shuttle, there is a slow build up to power set when locos start, but stops I think are still fairly abrupt, more dependant on momentum. Thus you can have a more realistic start up with chipped locos running on analogue.

Main problem I have had is when wheels on short locos stop on same place, I have found after a while pick up is not as good and sometimes trains do not start. Part of the fault might be dirty pickups, as shuttle locos tend to run for longer periods on my layouts. I do use a graphite stick(carpenter's pencil) to improve pickup, as most of my trains are short and a little bit of slip is not a problem.

As some of my locos are old LIma, they do not tend to stop abruptly, and as they warm up the stopping distance can increase, so if I as building a new layout I might to tempted to put in diodes every inch or so, so stopping point can be changed, and also different locos(in particular DMU/EMUs) can be used. One thing I tend to make sure of, is use decent toggle switches(Gaugemaster) as I have heard of problems using cheap slider switches. If I need a lot, I might also consider making my own using chocolate block connectors as they are cheap and I probably will not need to reset them during an exhibition. Luckily I have a big bag of toggle switches so will use those.

One thing I have just remembered. The current Hornby trainset controller, not only doesn't have a 16v output, but seems to have a modification which allows power to build up rather than reversing immediately. A common problem of 'trainset' locos played with by children is worn out gears caused by rapid reversal of power to motor, especially at high speed. I am not sure if other manufacturers have done anything similar, but it might be useful for a shuttle operation.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• Administrators

Thanks Julie. I've seen a lot of businesses under arches, my local MOT place and the guy who fixes my car afterwards. The names are a bit of fun, just need a mini Andy to stand outside.

Don't worry about the name confusion either. We called it Edgewood 2 for a long while. In fact the directory I save the files into on my PC still has the name...

• Administrators

Well, Ruston Quays is off to Peter borough this weekend. I've been working hard to make it look something approaching finished, but there's still a long way to go.

Biggest job has to built a lighting rig. A couple of sheets of MDF, lengths of plywood and two Homebase spotlight units will now see 150 watts of illumination thrown on the scene. Needless to say, I've not quite got as far as painting this but at least you should be able to see the model and next month, we might even overcome the gloom of the NEC!

Technology has been a bit of a problem for me. The plan to be DCC'd fell through when I found that the chips I had been given and the sockets in the locos were different sizes. I'll be picking people's brains about the best chips for a Bachmann 03, Heljan 05 and Electrotren 0-6-0 steam tank. In the meantime, a 1980s DC controller will allow the yard to be operated.

RQRamps.jpg

Our electric uncoupling system hasn't done to well either. Yesterday I made a quick trip down the local model shop to buy some Peco uncoupling ramps (4, which was handy when I filled one with superglue) which do the job but look pug ugly. The electrical version looked better but seemed to suffer from interferance issues causing 1 unit to go haywire and another to break in the up position. Talking to friends, servo based systems can have problems in this area, not something I've noticed in model boats so presumably it's the electronics?

RQBothy.jpg

With most of the construction finished, I'm moving on to detailing. Static grass is being puffed from a bottle to represent weedy growth and fiddly plastic bits are being made up from packets. A box of HO scale details was bought at Scaleforum to add a lot of this but I'll be perusing the trade to add more bits and bobs.

If you are heading to the show over the weekend, please drop by and say hello.

Edited by Phil Parker

• Administrators

What's that loco?

BUDCloco.jpg

One of the most popular questions asked last weekend was, "What's that nice industrial loco?".

I'd posed our only steam engine in the middle of the layout as it's more interesting than an 03 or 05 diesel, the other  motive power to hand. Since we weren't running the yard, it's compromised operational status (I broke a wire while fiddling trying to fit a DCC chip, another job for the list!) didn't matter and the layout looks better with a loco visible. 

The answer is, it's an ARC Models Barclay kit. A full build will appear in the January issue of BRM but basically, it's a loco kit that anyone could assemble. The resin body sits on top of an Electrotren 0-6-0 chassis. Construction is simple, the hardest job being adding the handrails. The RTR chassis ensures you end up with working model too as long as I've not been fiddling with it.

The next question, of course, is, "What does BUDC stand for?". I'll answer that in the article...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just seen the DVD with Decembers magazine. Good article on Ruston Quay. Enjoyed your section on brickwork too. Have I missed how you constructed the large warehouse disguising the dmu shuttle ?

• Administrators

Just seen the DVD with Decembers magazine. Good article on Ruston Quay. Enjoyed your section on brickwork too. Have I missed how you constructed the large warehouse disguising the dmu shuttle ?

It's in last month's issue (November 2015). Basically, Skytrex parts supported by a wooden box.

big building.jpg

There's more on painting bricks in that issue too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

OK, if I want this layout to run for Warley, I need to sort out this DCC malarkey.

To date, all my layouts have been controlled using proper DC via a Gaugemaster hand held controller. Personally, I've always been very happy with this but I'm told it's the 21st century so I must move with the times.

The current issue of BRM has a piece by Ben paying a visit to Digitrains so it's there I headed for advice.

The current stock list is:

• Bachamann 03
  • Heljan 05
  • Electrotren chassis

The advice received was to buy 36-558A 6 Pin back EMF chips. Ordered lunchtime yesterday, 2 arrived this morning, all they had in stock.

Anyway, this is what the chip looks like. I'll dig out my test track, fire up the Dynamis and let you know how I get on.

DCC Chip.jpg

Edited by Phil Parker

Phil 

I've been really enjoying watching Rushton Quays come together especially on the dvd. That chimney is fantastic i really like it & it certainly captures a northern town. I grew up in a mill town & i was until recently surrounded by them although they had fallen silent. 

I've been building kits for the brm/ rmweb loco challenge i think i am currently on my tenth & they need a home. I think a version of Rushton Quays might be the solution although with a changed trackplan. Manchester has always interested me with its claustrophobic feel & Victorian architecture which i think would be a perfect home for my pre grouping models especially the LNWR kits i have winging there way to me.

Very inspirational layout i must say. Hopefully a EM version will appear before long :) 

• Administrators

Phil 

I've been really enjoying watching Rushton Quays come together especially on the dvd. That chimney is fantastic i really like it & it certainly captures a northern town. I grew up in a mill town & i was until recently surrounded by them although they had fallen silent. 

I've been building kits for the brm/ rmweb loco challenge i think i am currently on my tenth & they need a home. I think a version of Rushton Quays might be the solution although with a changed trackplan. Manchester has always interested me with its claustrophobic feel & Victorian architecture which i think would be a perfect home for my pre grouping models especially the LNWR kits i have winging there way to me.

Very inspirational layout i must say. Hopefully a EM version will appear before long :)

That's what we love to hear. Anything we can do to get people modelling!

Please post progress on the layout - it's always great to see what people are up to.

Thanks

• Administrators

I really liked the bit on the DVD showing the making of foam stones for the canal edging. I'll use that method on my G scale indoor layout where the scenery has to be light weight and cheap.

I'll admit I was surprised how well this worked - I knew it would be fine but it went better than expected.

For more inspiration, Iain Robinson is the master at this sort of thing - check out his blog: http://iainrobinsonmodels.blogspot.co.uk/

I hope this is useful, sorry if some links have already been published Phil!

Bantam Tugs & Grafton Patent Boom Grab Dredger.

The Bantam Tugs were "invented" by E.C. Jones, boatbuilders of Brentford, where the Grand Union Canal meeets the Tidal Thames.

The unusual feature of the Bantams was that they were mainly designed to push rather than tow, though they can do that as well.

To that end, most were fitted with a winch on each side towards the bow, and two uprights to form a "Slot" on the bow. The boat to be pushed in trials was a conventional boat with a stem-post and a rudder, and was pushed backwards, On purpose built mud-hoppers, etc.,there was a "rib" for a stem post, that would engage in a "slot" in the Tug.

The cables from the winches were used to pull the boat to be pushed tightly against the tug, so forming, in effect, a single long powered boat.

In practice on the canals, the winches were often not used, so that the tug-and-tow combination was more flexible, to negotiate the sharp corners found on the canals. Also, it made hitching up and casting off much quicker, especally when shunting mud hoppers! A good dredging team was an amazing sight to see!

The Bantam Tug featured in the BRM article..
http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/collection/bantam-tug.htm

There is a large Bantam Tug "MSC BANTAM II", at the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port.
This tug was actually used to tow barges. Mainly from Hulme Lock to Trafford Park. 100 ton "Mere Boats", Barges named "something-mere", such as "Bigmere", also at the NWM, Ellesmere Port, were loaded with grain in Manchester Docks (River Irwell section of the Manchester Shio Canal), and worked to Kelloggs factory at Trafford Park.

From a seeming now deleted NWM page on the internet...

Bantam II, an all-welded steel tug, was laid down on 26 August 1951 at E C Jones Ltd., Brentford. She was built initially as a launch type tug, no. 20 in the Bantam series. Ostensibly she was built for stock but she could have been a cancelled order*. She lay at Brentford for four years when she was inspected by Manchester Ship Canal Company (MSCCo) engineers. After some uncertainty, she was modified to MSCCo’s requirements and delivered to Castlefields in 1956 at a cost of £2,929 16s 0d.

Technical Information

Length: 26 ft 6 ins
    Width: 9 ft
    Engine: 30hp Lister JP3 engine, 1200 rpm built in 1955 at Dursley in Gloucestershire.
    Year of original construction: built 1951-52.  Cost £2,930.
    Builders name:  E C Jones of Brentford, no 20. For whom built: Bridgewater Department of the Manchester Ship Canal Company (possibly second owner)

Bantam II's story

Bantam II, an all-welded steel tug, was laid down on 26 August 1951 at E C Jones Ltd., Brentford.  She was built initially as a launch type tug, no. 20 in the Bantam series. Ostensibly she was built for stock but she could have been a cancelled order*. She lay at Brentford for four years when she was inspected by Manchester Ship Canal Company (MSCCo) engineers. After some uncertainty, she was modified to MSCCo’s requirements and delivered to Castlefields in 1956 at a cost of £2,929 16s 0d.

*Alternatively she may have been unsuccessfully trialled on gravel pits between 1951-5. As this type of push tug was a major innovation, to encourage sales E C Jones initially offered the tugs on a ‘sale or return’ basis. Other reports suggest that, during this early period of her life, she was used to tow the Kelloggs’ barges but this version is contrary to that of a steerer who worked on this run.

However, in 1956, to meet MSCCo’s requirements the front portholes on Bantam II’s wheel house were opened out to let more light into the cabin. Other fittings included a mast which was fitted to the cabin roof and was pivoted so it could be lowered to go through bridge holes and a full set of navigation lights.