Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

People not being interested is definitely not true Dave! I've enjoyed the glimpse you've given us in other topics & look forward to more here :-)

My future intentions seem to be making very similar thought processes moving from an S&C concept to a Wharfedale based layout. Ilkley shed will do as my 'tester' & I look forward to getting a lot of inspiration from here.

• RMweb Gold

Did you really think we wouldn't be interested in a quality Finescale layout Dave? Methinks you are being modest :)

I expected more buffer stops....... ;)

Yes, I was disappointed with the lack of suitable siding end retardation equipment.

• Like 1

Did you really think we wouldn't be interested in a quality Finescale layout Dave? Methinks you are being modest :)

I expected more buffer stops....... ;)

Well, I don't think people are that interested in half built layouts with no buildings, details, signals etc. So I've kept a bit of a low profile on RMweb, I had posted a bit on another modelling forum but people from this place had asked after the layout.

Bufferstop wise, you've got me there, I've got one more Midland type to do for the ends of the lyes, there will be only seven stops of three types on the layout anyway.

Anyway, me modest, never..... LOL. Just don't ask my friends.

Dave Franks

• Like 2

I think the thing is we can see finished layouts at shows and in mags, the great thing about this forum is following builds even if, like yours, they are of a standard to inspire me, rather than one I can aspire to.

Ed

Well, this looks nice!  Layouts under construction are always interesting.  Not sure what's happened to that brake van in the first picture though!

Hi Tim,   

The van was one of a number that were doing service on 'Alloa' at an exhibition, it was dusted down to use on Wharfeside unfortunately I had forgotten to change the wheels for EM hence at the least wee bump of the baseboard it fell into the four foot.

Thanks to all you posters for the encouragement, some say - 'he doesn't need encouragement'....

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

Is it being built as a stay at home layout or an exhibition one Dave? I guess you are pretty busy at exhibitions anyway without playing trains though :)

Being just over the hill from us, I am slowly learning about the railways over there. Whenever I drive up the Otley bypass, I always try to work out where the station was and the bridge abutments at the top of the hill had me confused for ages before I found out they were from a long-gone industrial tramway.

Hi Jason, yes it will be an exhibition layout, eventually... It does have an open invite to Perth and Glasgow when ready and even Derek had asked for EXPO North but that would be a problem with the Lanarkshire Models stand.

The Wharfedale line does have an interesting history with private sidings to quarries, hospitals, mills etc. and the fact it was in part jointly built by the Midland and the North Eastern and operated with ex LNE and LMS stock. Plus with diversions from the Midland mainline through Airedale we have the Thames/Clyde and the Waverley expresses making appearances as well as the S&C freights so it suits me down to a tee.

The bridge abutments you mention, would that be the ones beside the old toll house near Poole in Wharfedale? We were confused by those at one time too.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

Top of Old Pool Bank, not sure if there is a toll house there.

A bit about the line in the below links. I didn't realise the top section was worked by locomotives:

http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=3057

http://historyofpool.net63.net/quarries/transportationofstone.htm

It's got my mind ticking over, could make an interesting layout :)

As one EM gauger to another,  an interesting project and thank you for putting it on RMW.

I knew the area quite well as a lad, living in west Leeds and biking around Otley and Ilkley.  Yes, I did pedal up Otley Chevin and Norwood Edge (to the north of Otley) on my old bone shaker.

So keep 'em coming Dave, will look out for your piccies.

Derek

• RMweb Premium

yes the supports are still there - confuses a lot of people including Leeds residents!

The Toll House is used as a residence - and people still use "old" Pool Bank as a ratrun!

I have looked ta doing a 0-16.5 model of part of the line .. but not just yet!

Baz

• Like 1

You could be really cheesy and deliver people's orders via Lowmac to the front of the layout :)

No, customers can put their dosh in a 16ton mineral and I'll throw their goods over to them....

Dave Franks.