Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

On 30/05/2017 at 17:48, AJCT said:

What's the origin of your bull-head/concrete-sleeper track ?  Really looks the part.

Alasdair

Hi Alistair, thanks for that. The concrete sleepers are C&L but with the embossed name scraped off to suit the plain wartime ones, the two bolt chairs are also C&L and are a reasonable match to the photos I've got of the track on the Wharfedale line, the chairs are marked 1942.

550689345_Wharfesidetrack.jpg.bb3e88772645ebd23e5f2518fe2111e2.jpg

Dave.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had very little time these past few weeks what with doctors, hospitals, old folks etc. Me and them....

However managed to get the central reinforcing beam finished and fitted to the station road bridge, couple of nights I couldn't sleep!.

1369990990_Wharfesidestationbridge2.jpg.ec1e273f96f074be182f037c22e61a79.jpg

Made from plasticard, the final overlay was embossed with rivets as per photos of various ones around the LMS system, Older bridges were fitted with these central beams so as to take the heavier locos the LMS were introducing.

The outer beams are IIRC, made from a modified Wills kit and have still to get the stone piers at the ends.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 15

More ballasting done last night, now reached the goods shed (really must get the proper shed built to replace the mock-up).

1571356923_Wharfesideballasting4.jpg.86cc2c01021e829779c280c2f48240ec.jpg

Still the goods shed road to paint and ballast but we're getting there.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 18

• 4 weeks later...

More ballasting done last night, now reached the goods shed (really must get the proper shed built to replace the mock-up).

attachicon.gifWharfeside ballasting 4.jpg

Still the goods shed road to paint and ballast but we're getting there.

Dave Franks.

Hi Dave,

Spotted the 12" sleeper spacing at the rail joints on the track in the foreground- nice!  The ballasting looks very neat indeed.

Colin

Been busy with other things in the life outside of the hobby but here are a few pics of what has been done over the past few months.

Ballasting of the goods shed road and the down lye done.

570267820_Moreballasting.jpg.7eef650f03b7968e8daaa8ac35d3a5e2.jpg

A mention in the 'How realistic are your models' thread of the ICI ammonia tankers needed for Wharfeside has prompted some more work on these, the bits have been lying around the work bench for months.

1101197116_Ammoniatanktrain.jpg.5dedaa755d3ffb4df254069d657177a4.jpg

Half of the train of twelve tankers, four barrier wagons and brakevan.

Tank barrel and ends from EMA (Plastruct) held together with blu-tac, wagon chassis from Dapol (possibly temporary), castings from Lanarkshire Models. Photo by Tony Lambert.

1116623819_Ammoniatank1.jpg.f67f9e775c57144850eca21ee3fbcbfd.jpg

End supports drilled,tapped and bolted to the Dapol chassis as glue doesn't work on shiney plastic....

Tank saddles just hanging loose for the moment. Tank filler/dome still to be made and cast and walkway/ladders still to be etched.

1050225109_Ammoniatank2.jpg.655d1a30c54560f80c429d7ea6efed35.jpg

But at least it's progress on Wharfeside, once again invites to shows have been had but declined till I'm happy.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 15

Been busy with other things in the life outside of the hobby but here are a few pics of what has been done over the past few months.

attachicon.gifMore ballasting.jpg

Ballasting of the goods shed road and the down lye done.

A mention in the 'How realistic are your models' thread of the ICI ammonia tankers needed for Wharfeside has prompted some more work on these, the bits have been lying around the work bench for months.

attachicon.gifAmmonia tank train.jpg

Half the train of twelve tankers and four barrier wagons.

attachicon.gifAmmonia tank 2.jpg

attachicon.gifAmmonia tank 1.jpg

Tank barrel and ends from EMA (Plastruct) held together with blu-tac, wagon chassis from Dapol (possibly temporary), castings from Lanarkshire Models. Photo by Tony Lambert.

End supports drilled,tapped and bolted to the Dapol chassis as glue doesn't work on shiney plastic....

Tank saddles just hanging loose for the moment. Tank filler/dome still to be made and cast and walkway/ladders still to be etched.

But at least it's progress on Wharfeside, once again invites to shows have been had but declined till I'm happy.

Dave Franks.

Hi Dave,

You would certainly win the 'prize length' of track with that first photo.  The transition from bullhead to flat bottom rail really does look authentic and very 50s/early 60s. You probably have mentioned it somewhere, but can I ask what make of ballast you are using?  It looks a lot like Greenscene material.  

Colin

Lovely trackwork & tankers Dave!

Are the tankers dimensioned/scaled from the photo (I'd missed that cropping up in your products topic!) or have you access to a drawing too?

Cheers,

Pete

Edited to note that I have the Chas Roberts drawings from the modellers backtrack articles on air ministry tanks, but these are for 14T class A, 14T B & 16T bitumen but can presumably be used for some detail references for the manufacturers.

Edited by Jub45565

Hi Dave,

You would certainly win the 'prize length' of track with that first photo.  The transition from bullhead to flat bottom rail really does look authentic and very 50s/early 60s. You probably have mentioned it somewhere, but can I ask what make of ballast you are using?  It looks a lot like Greenscene material.  

Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for your comments. Photos of the Wharfedale line in the fifties certainly show how neat the track was kept and from what I've seen in other photos track elsewhere was generally in good nick in those days, the competition for the 'prize length' was encouraged by the management.

The ballast is my own mix I'm afraid, mainly straight from a local quarry but with a bag of light grey from 'Javis' added about 5:1. It is a good colour for the darker Skipton Rock ballast as used all round the area including the WCML.

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

Lovely trackwork & tankers Dave!

Are the tankers dimensioned/scaled from the photo (I'd missed that cropping up in your products topic!) or have you access to a drawing too?

Cheers,

Pete

Edited to note that I have the Chas Roberts drawings from the modellers backtrack articles on air ministry tanks, but these are for 14T class A, 14T B & 16T bitumen but can presumably be used for some detail references for the manufacturers.

Hi Pete, thanks for your comments. The tankers were scaled from various photos and a drawing of a similar BR Propane tank, the RCH 12ft wb underframe is the same so scaling from the underframe gave the tank dimensions. Plastruct do moulded tube at 28 mm and matching elliptical dome ends for pressure vessels which isn't far away. The end frame is an approximation from a distant photo but at the second attempt it looks not bad.

This design of tanker was heavy being a pressure vessel for the carriage of liquified gases, a tare weight of approx 19ton but only carried between 10 and 12ton of liquid gases. My difficulty now is the detail of the walkway and dome, much studying of photos will be needed. Some of these tanks were built just a few miles from here and the local heritage centre claimed to have the records of the company but it turned out to be just the photos.

Dave Franks.

That trackwork is just beautiful, Dave, and very nicely ballasted too.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I'll take that as a great complement coming from yourself, I've shown some of your photos to other people and they are gobsmacked too...

Here is a photo of what I'll trying to achieve with the track on Wharfeside

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/oldsite/historic/walk29.jpg

Embsay after closure but with Skipton quarry still operating, ballast still quite tidy

And further up the line too.

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/oldsite/historic/walk07.jpg

Plenty photos of the western part of the line on the Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway website. Many from ex-signalman Bill Smith who has helped me with info on operations, thanks Bill.

Dave Franks.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

More ballasting done last night, six hours saw the ash ballast in the cess then the main lines ballasted on one whole board, no photo I'm afraid but here is one from a few weeks ago showing the twelve ICI liquefied ammonia tanks under test, the tanks weigh in at 60 grams each so I wasn't expecting any problems with track holding. Still to add the domes and walkways but they ran fine. I believe the maximum for a WD was sixteen tanks and twelve for a single J39 which is what will be hauling them. I may do more in the future along with some ammonia liquor and methanol tanks which were sometimes in the consist, the mix of liveries will be interesting as MOS, WD and ICI were all seen together in the fifties.

2137192116_etanktraintest1.jpg.cfb3de8d2252db28ebaf819488bb2e3c.jpg

Onwards and upwards....

Edit, just noticed the top lamp has had a bash, must have been when I nearly dropped the stock box.....

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 19

• 4 weeks later...

Having studied the pictures in post #117 for a long time, it could be said that adding trains would just mar the view of the track work. 

What?  Not even 'Dornoch Firth' on the Thames Clyde Express.

We now have a second Brit 'Moray Firth' from a new member of the group.

Dave.

I forgot about this picture which I took to see how a wash of lighter rust paint over the base Revell No.84 brown would bring out the difference in the newer flatbottom track.

784499802_Wharfesidetrack238.JPG.2d9a7e2c8a7c7e3b1dad1e8e57891653.JPG

Dave Franks

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, you asked for some Brit pictures.

Taken last night before some wiring, point cleaning and ballasting sessions.

post-10324-0-93164800-1506597412_thumb.jpg

Thames/Clyde approaching Wharfeside behind Dornoch Firth.

post-10324-0-24762500-1506597445_thumb.jpg

Classic view of a Brit at speed.

Dornoch Firth was built nearly 30 years ago, based on a DJH kit with a Crownline BR1D tender as DJH didn't do one at that time.

Compensated chassis, Sharman wheels, Portescap motor. Even with many miles under it's belt it still runs like a good un.

Things I'll need to do to it to bring it up to today's standard though - scale screw coupling, more detailed buffers, lamps and head board.

I do have a couple of sets of new BR Pacific frames cut out for CSB suspension chassis but I'm still waiting on proper BR standard driving wheels to come before they will get done.

Dave Franks.

Sorry but these photos seem to be missing and not on file anymore so new pictures will be taken shortly.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 13