Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

Had a visit from our Edinburgh member last night, he brought an unusual loco to the proceedings.

post-10324-0-99449800-1513254203.jpg

Apologises for the grab shot, will do better next time.

Haven't a clue as to what it is, some GER thingy, maybe a J17, anyway a nicely put together etched kit which although a bit stiff to start with was soon purring along nicely after a few circuits of Wharfeside.

Apparently the first running it's done in years. 

It'll be going into the detailing and weathering shop soon for Phil's GER layout.

Dave Franks.

• Like 6

If you're not careful Dave, you'll open up the floodgates for all sorts of foreigners to visit you with strange motive power!

Mike.

You say that Mike but there's nowt so strange as Caledonian locos running in Yorkshire. Caley 0-4-4 tanks working the Wharfedale line in late 40s and a Caley Jumbo on snow clearing duty in 1947. Just like when Mad McCann of this parish visits with his Caley locos.

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

If you're not careful Dave, you'll open up the floodgates for all sorts of foreigners to visit you with strange motive power!

Mike.

Be afraid Dave - he might bring his vac !

• Like 1

Merry Chrimbo to all our followers.  :jester: 

Hopefully Wharfeside will have it's fiddleyard control panel built this year and we'll maybe consider a show sometime. :O

David, Fiona and the Scottish Region Study Group

(yes I know it's based in Yorkshire).  :scratchhead:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Merry Chrimbo to all our followers.  :jester: 

Hopefully Wharfeside will have it's fiddleyard control panel built this year and we'll maybe consider a show sometime. :O

David, Fiona and the Scottish Region Study Group

(yes I know it's based in Yorkshire).  :scratchhead:

Everything good is, or was!

Mike.

Merry Christmas to you too Dave (edit, & Fiona & the rest of the Scottish Region)!

Does this mean I can get the Great Western study group focussing on important details within Wharfedale too... intriguing

Edited by Jub45565

Thank you and the same to you Dave. My New Years resolution is to finish off the basic scenic work on Kirkby Malham, and get good operation which satisfies me. I am very keen on reliable and believable operation. So many wonderful exhibition layouts have been spoiled by poor or non existant operation.

Derek

• 1 month later...

I'll have the bridge with me at Model Rail Scotland on the ScRSG Alloa Demo stand if anyone is interested as well as the beginnings of the similarly stoned goods shed.

Dave Franks.

Looking good Dave! It would be nice to see it at S4 North if possible? Though I appreciate you probably have a boatload (other modes of transport possibly preferable) of buffers and -stops... and you might not want anyone thinking its for sale!

Looking good Dave! It would be nice to see it at S4 North if possible? Though I appreciate you probably have a boatload (other modes of transport possibly preferable) of buffers and -stops... and you might not want anyone thinking its for sale!

What, the layout or the bridge? Yes logistics would be a problem.

Thanks for all the 'likes' people. 

See some of you at Glasgow.

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

Watch out for the Q6 and NB 'R' Class tank dropping in next year then... ;-)

D4

Hi Dave, thing is, Q6s occasionally appeared even though they were supposedly banned from the end of the NE line through lower Wharfeside so rule 1 could apply...

Dave Franks.

What, the layout or the bridge? Yes logistics would be a problem.

Well the bridge was what I mean't, and probably slightly more manageable, but if you're offering! ;-)

Hi Dave, thing is, Q6s occasionally appeared even though they were supposedly banned from the end of the NE line through lower Wharfeside so rule 1 could apply...

Interesting - I had read that they didn't make it beyond Otley (or should that be nearer than), but even if they didnt they are lovely locos so as you say...

Cheers,

Well, I'm pretty sure there's a Hughes Mogul that'll still find its way there. :-)

D4

That's great, it'll save me building that other DJH one that's been sitting in it's box since 1989....

See you at Glasgow.

Dave F.

D3

• Like 1

Just to say I'll be demonstrating at Modelrail Scotland again this year on the ScRSG stand. The theme once again is 'Structures in Plastic', last year it was the bridge as seen above so as that is more or less finished I thought I better get something else ready to show. People have been at me to replace the temporary cardboard cut-out goods shed and to that end I spent the weekend drawing up the goods shed for Wharfeside on CAD to produce templates and cutting round the templates in plastic.  

P1010026.JPG.671d31c2a4a2c1a42527ffe56e4f8774.JPG

The buildings on the Wharfedale line aren't typical Midland Railway The Otley and Ilkley railway being a joint line with the NER although the goods shed does have similar dimensions to the standard MR design.

The stonework was also done on the template and the stone courses were transferred through with a pin then scribed, The smooth stone blocks (see the station walling in a previous post) were easy to reproduce thank goodness, luckily most of the buildings in the area are built from this stone so I hope to attempt the station building next year.....

See some of you at Glasgow.

Dave.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 4

Already looks better than the cardboard carbuncle Dave. :-)

Well hello stranger, how have you been? Was talking about you today at the SEC, your old friend Jim was asking if you will be visiting so I'll ask the same question.

Cheers, :beee:

Dave F.