Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

Goodness me doesn't time fly when your busy, last post way back in March....  The Linlithgow event went down well and the two boards of Wharfeside performed as they should with my colleague Phil C. playing  sorry, operating most of the day shunting trains about so I could show and tell to the punters. Forgot to take a camera so no pictures I'm afraid. After that the opportunity was taken to drop the layout and have the steel legs shotblasted and painted. (Network Rail light green was what the friendly shotblasters were doing that week, a bit bright some say) and the layout is still not up and running yet. Have set up a fiddleyard board on it's side on the bench so the wiring can be progressed but so far no Mojo....

Like the photo Pete, sure I've seen it somewhere else, the tall chimney on the 4F is good to know to as one of mine still has one 43999 or is it 43960 can't remember and all the stock from the layout is in boxes at the moment.

Cheers all.

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, davefrk said:

Forgot to take a camera so no pictures I'm afraid.

I forgot to take pics of any of the layouts...

... but i did snap some faux Revos  (lamp posts for the uninitiated) in company with Linlithgows version of the Tri-ang Hollywood Bungalow. Bet that would cost a bit more than 12/6d in today's money.

CKskillsDay-41-EditSm.jpg.5336261fdad57320514ad589cb06aad6.jpg

Oh! I also photographed this pub. Just for those that like level gutters.  (And cos it sold a fine Tormore).

CKskillsDay-51-EditSm.jpg.8f712b1308fb03f27d78486acac484f5.jpg

P

• 1 month later...

Not much to report on the layout as business is busy. A test build of a new kit is ongoing for someone, more of that anon maybe.

Wiring of the fiddleyard is progressing on club nights but I would love to have the time in the afternoon as the light is better.

And Porcy, I might have guessed you would photograph the pub...

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Well, that's the summer over, still not got the old Landrover back on the road, hey ho.

These dark evenings though have had me building up the bits needed for the fiddleyard operation on Wharfeside with the point motors mounted and fitted with the micro switches mentioned previously and now the diode matrix to power them with one button route selection. Got some nice smallish 3 amp push buttons too which have been tested for reliability, nice. The diode matrix diagram was worked out on the computer as it's been many years since I last built one. Of course I made a mistake and had to start again after only five diodes were fitted but they both check out now and seem to be working okay. The first board powers the entry to the up roads and the second, still needing the wires added, is the exit from the down roads, the small relay does the switching for the crossover from the up to the down and is Tortoise powered though I've had a think about that and it might be better with the relay sighted in the control panel rather than under the boards, less wiring. The CDU seems to have plenty power to fire all the Seep point motors on the routes and that is with 14V AC so the 24V transformer should ensure reliable switching. Matrix 3 and 4 to go and then fit and wire up the point motors and 25 way D plugs/sockets.

297390971_DiodeMatrixphoto.JPG.edb41dc7134851aab5db6f709044cd05.JPG

Onwards and upwards....

Dave.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

There's no way that bridge is overly 'skinny' or 'slender' as engineers would call the piers - I think it's an effect of model viaducts generally being low, city arches style.  Folks' eyes get conditioned to it.

It's going to look great watching your stock crossing high over that valley.

On 22/11/2019 at 21:20, Jamie said:

If worried you could always beef it up, Big Water of Fleet style:

P1010937.jpg

Could it be Jamie that yon Souwesterners couldn't build owt like Yorksher lads.

Dave.

Edited by davefrk
  • Funny 1

26 minutes ago, davefrk said:

Could it be Jamie that yon Souwesterners couldn't build out like Yorksher lads.

Dave.

Not the Souwest for that one.  It was the work of a little local concern that got taken over by the joint committee.  For a G&SW viaduct see 

Ballochmyle.jpg.6ddaccc37bb4c58bb1343c938e2d3fa5.jpg

Alan

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Not much done on Wharfeside these last few weeks, partly due to a group AGM and then being too buxxered to go to the club.

Last Wednesday though the first diode matrix was fitted on the layout and wired up to the six points. Touching together the correct wires fired the points to set the route to the correct fiddleyard road so I'm very happy it all works.

Some work done on other projects at home like building and fitting a side controlled bogie to a Gibson 2P kit, now tested and negotiating the pointwork beautifully, coupling rods made, CSBs adjusted for the ride height.  Pictures still to be taken.

Hope to get some other bits and pieces done over the Christmas break and on that note:--

Happy Christmas to all our readers.

Dave Franksimage.png.6c2ab958eced70d41e96e470d20b7055.png

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Hi Jamie, well I did say 'mostly oldyins' and I still cringe thinking of that phonecall on my birthday when you announced you were exactly half my age.....

The Stanier tank is for the off peak trains running with two or three non corridors, the teatime train with the Fairburn tank is the one that has three or more coaches plus parcel van which then passes back through Wharfeside with the van heading for the Red Star parcels depot at Otley and returns to Ilkley later and forms the return train to Leeds.

If we ever get back to the club we can practice it.

All the best,

Dave.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Dave,

Sorry can't help your need for wood.  The last thing I did before lockup was a trip to my local wood merchants and got the material for two new baseboards for the extension.  Unfortunately the heavy duty modelling with wood tools creates dust which needs washing down.  This has stopped me making any progress on my rake of ICI tankers.

At least I will have somewhere to plant the extra buffer stops I bought from you.

Keep safe

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all, that picture of the bunker looked really grubby and I've looked at it again and can see silvery marks, it seems to be water marks from when I washed the flux off, other parts done previously look okay so I don't know the reason the camera picked it up so badly, looks okay now the bunker is attached to the footplate and washed again. Hey Ho.

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well it's like this Mark, the Landie is slowly coming together again but the refitting of the peddle boxes is held up by not being able to access the thin foam gasket material to seal the joint on the footwell as it's up at the club. The new master cylinders are fitted and the peddleboxes have been built back up and painted, the footwell has been cleaned down and repainted where the brake fluid had leaked.... Got the wing off ready to refit everything and pipe it up then we'll have brakes again. New fuel tank to paint and fit, radiator to refit and we might be able to start it.

Doesn't sound much does it, business is very busy at the moment so the loco build which is for me is happening in the evenings.

Dave Franks

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I've just went through this whole thread... absolutely great layout and progress.

Is this a home or club layout? I can't get over the propelling 16t coal train video. Are all the wagons three links?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just a 'heads up' for our new but still under construction club website.

https://scrsg.wordpress.com/

The Scottish Region Study Group website covers the following layouts ;- Alloa,  Larbert (under construction), Wharfeside, Edinburgh Princes Street, Saxlingham and other layouts being built at home. New photos are being taken and stories written.

Dave Franks

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/06/2020 at 20:54, 37403 said:

I've just went through this whole thread... absolutely great layout and progress.

Is this a home or club layout? I can't get over the propelling 16t coal train video. Are all the wagons three links?

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I'm just so busy at the moment, no time for railway modelling at all.

Thanks for the comments. Yes it is my own layout but I have space in our clubrooms to work on it.

The minerals train is the little party piece for visitors, not normally 60 wagons but two 30 wagon trains. All wagons have three link couplings and the ends have Jackson couplings for the locos and guardsvans.

The wheels are all modern Gibsons and have been reset to 16.65mm B2B to suit my tightened up pointwork which have 0.9 flangeways. It all seems to work with very few derailments.

Cheers,

Dave Franks

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, davefrk said:

Hi all, just a 'heads up' for our new but still under construction club website.

https://scrsg.wordpress.com/

The Scottish Region Study Group website covers the following layouts ;- Alloa,  Larbert (under construction), Wharfeside, Edinburgh Princes Street, Saxlingham and other layouts being built at home. New photos are being taken and stories written.

Dave Franks

Good stuff.  Needs a link to this thread in the “other layouts” bit though!  

Monthly updates, ala https://www.emgauge70s.co.uk , an aspiration?!