Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

Hi Dave,

I've been popping in to view progress over the last couple of years and pick up useful little tips (eg microswitches for Seeps) many thanks indeed.

Your trackwork is excellent, I find the almost continuous curves on the main line very realistic.  Am I remembering correctly that you have a ruling radius of 6ft (presumably transitioned)?  Does that apply to off-scene areas too?

Which leads me on to coach coupling, what do you use and how close together are the buffers on the straight?

The running you're achieving as shown in the videos makes all the effort on track and stock worthwhile.

Hi Alan, thank you for your comments. The coaches still need better couplings but at the moment they have the very short Bachmann coupling fitted and that means the corridors are touching on the straight but open slightly on the curves because the spring mount is still there.

The scenic section radii is 27ft then 9ft then 6ft round to the fiddleyard where the minimum is 4ft all with transitions.

Dave.

I'm slow you know.

Dunno if you've seen this. Ten minutes to Haverton Hill.

https://www.lner.info/forums/download/file.php?id=14982&sid=70c8c328798e8c8c2f2f83cb8fa7f2ee&mode=view

P

Actually Porcy, they look like the smaller tanks to the usual ones, a few photos show these mixed all together . They seem to be about the same size as the old Hornby Dublo chlorine tanks. I'll see if I can find the photos again.

Dave

Actually Porcy, they look like the smaller tanks to the usual ones, a few photos show these mixed all together .

I'm not so sure. Certainly they are cradle as opposed to saddle mounted but the cradle mounted came with small & large tanks in both 10 & 12ft wheelbase versions.

For our time period my "ammonia plant informant" told me the smaller diameter tanks were used predominantly in Chlorine traffic but tanks; dependant on traffic demands, could be rinsed (or totally swopped) and with a change of signage used in other traffic. This seems to be borne out in one of D Larkins books where I'm told Tank 308 appears in methanol traffic livery (Riveted tank) and plain ICI livery (Welded tank).

This image shows a comparison in tank diameters despite the AX containers being between.

post-508-0-77386800-1534859649.jpg

Not sure of the origin of that photo so I'll take it down if anyone complains.

The two in the centre of Mr Fords photo may be of the smaller dia. type but equally are they loaded and riding lower with the two outers empty & acting acting as barriers? (Ammonia Liquor Flashpoint 1,204 °F)

https://flic.kr/p/9s7CpD

Finally I expect to see one of yours with WD branding. This was just up the road from you in 1967.

post-508-0-35339800-1534862719.jpg

EDIT

I'm coming round to your way of thinking Dave. Comparing the height of the tank against the BR Brake in the David Ford picture with the height of the tank in the LNER encyclopedia J39 pic against the short ar$e LMS type brake van they look smaller diameter. Possibly Charles Roberts builds of 1938. 

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Hi Porcy, yes the Ford picture does show the difference between the 6ft diameter tanks and the larger 7ft diameter tanks which is the more common one for Wharfeside.

The pic of tank WD195 shows the bulk of the 7ft tank compared to the 12ft frames.

I think the tanks in the Clayton picture are chlorine tanks as the dome cover is different to the ammonia tanks.

I haven't had time to look for a pic I've got somewhere in a book showing a good view of the 'frosties' with one of them being the small tank.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Penrhos, they are the original plastic bogies which have been drilled out to take pinpoint bearings for the very sharp Gibson EM wheelsets, on some Bachmann coaches the plastic hole the axles run in had worn to the point the flanges were starting to rub on the coach floor!!!  The tool I used was a preproduction version which I was sent to evaluate and comment on, it had a square body and as such wouldn't fit in these Bachmann bogies so I suggested making it slightly smaller or maybe a hex shape so to clear the bogie frame. (I eventually turned the corners down to clear the bogie frames). The tool has a very short 2mm drill in one end and a point at the other so it can clip into the bogie and stay in alignment, the length is adjusted as the drill goes in so the hole is opened out to the right depth. I'll find out about availability as they were out of stock for a while. Can't remember who was retailing them at the moment.

Dave.

I discovered the same thing when trying to do something about some of my wagons which had the free-running qualities of a house brick.  Using the little device that Dave describes (which I think I bought from Scalefour Stores) I solved the problem - the salvageable became decently moveable and the others  provided some useful spare parts.  Flangeless brass bearings are available from Gibson, Wizard and (I think Markits).  They vary quite a bit in length which can be a pain, but since the depths of my hamfisted hole-drilling varies a bit too this means a bit of time will give you perfectly-mounted axles and transformed running.  All In need now is somewhere to run them . . .

Tony

• Like 1

Just up on Ernies site. WD ammonia sol. tanks in monastral and black at Greenholme. Some of them could still have the MOS branding?

https://flic.kr/p/2ak3X68

P

Hi Porcy, yes I've got some of those in black to make up a mixed tank train as per some photos. A few people don't believe the WD livery was still around in the sixties, I've got a pic in a book with at least three WD liveried 20 ton ammonia liquor tanks behind a Class 37 on the Wharfedale line.

Dave.

Hi Porcy, yes I've got some of those in black to make up a mixed tank train as per some photos. A few people don't believe the WD livery was still around in the sixties, I've got a pic in a book with at least three WD liveried 20 ton ammonia liquor tanks behind a Class 37 on the Wharfedale line.

Dave.

Trumped ya!

Brian Stephenson photted D6765 + DBT with 10 in Blue /Black on the 7M26. The phot is undated but I reckon it's taken on Sat. 10/04/1965. The amount of people dangling over a nearby footbridge and mooching about on the embankments suggests Mr Stephenson was there to snap the Great Marquess on a rail tour.

The rake included single 12t vans at each end of the tank as barriers and a Standard BR Brake.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another video from Plil Cowling showing his Y7 with a few wagons on Wharfeside.

The Y7 is a 4mm Connoisseur models etched kit.

Dave Franks.

Edited to change the Y6 to Y7

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

Hi Barry, yes most have been repainted as I didn't like the Bachmann finish, too dark so now they match the kit built ones much better, they will be weathered a bit to suit the late fifties period (some were still new). I will get down to it sometime along with the vans and coaches plus of course all the locos.... If only I had more time.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

a mix of them

post-7650-0-29151900-1537563886_thumb.jpg

and...

post-7650-0-91354600-1537563907_thumb.jpg

and some out of my home villages pit

post-7650-0-00221600-1537564022_thumb.jpg

even the new ones didn't stay clean for long. I can only remember 21T hoppers with "House Coal Concentration" painted on their sides...

Baz

• Like 1

Haven't a clue Paul, Phil posted the youtube clip and just sent me the link to put on this thread. :senile:

I will check it out though.

Dave.

My fault, I've now corrected the title and description. In the absence of any sensible reason, I put the mistake down to senility!!!

Phil