Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

• RMweb Gold

Another video from Plil Cowling showing his Y7 with a few wagons on Wharfeside.

https://youtu.be/W05jQlgrzJs

The Y7 is a 4mm Connoisseur models etched kit.

What is the motor/gearbox combination in that loco? It’s very smooth, and obviously has no problem hauling things.

What is the motor/gearbox combination in that loco? It’s very smooth, and obviously has no problem hauling things.

Hi Simon, sorry I don't know but I will ask on Wednesday at the club, most likely a Mashima can and Highlevel gearbox as in other locos of Phils.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Barry, yes most have been repainted as I didn't like the Bachmann finish, too dark so now they match the kit built ones much better, they will be weathered a bit to suit the late fifties period (some were still new). I will get down to it sometime along with the vans and coaches plus of course all the locos.... If only I had more time.

Dave.

Stop messing about with blobs of whitemetal and be a bit more selfish!

Mike.

Stop messing about with blobs of whitemetal and be a bit more selfish!

Mike.

Me 'more' selfish?

It was you who buxxered off to sunnier parts and took your expertise with you.   Oh wait a minute I take that back,   your friends paid you to go to Spain didn't they.

Dave

Fiona says hi.

• Like 1

The motor is a 1015 can motor (I think a Mashima but can't remember). The motor is a very high revving one, so I partnered it with an 80:1 gearbox (Porters Cap - a Backwood Miniature product that they produced before High Level came on the scene). I've also pivoted the front axle to get three point compensation.

Other than that, the loco is the Connoisseur kit with some weight in the side tanks.

• RMweb Gold

The motor is a 1015 can motor (I think a Mashima but can't remember). The motor is a very high revving one, so I partnered it with an 80:1 gearbox (Porters Cap - a Backwood Miniature product that they produced before High Level came on the scene). I've also pivoted the front axle to get three point compensation.

Other than that, the loco is the Connoisseur kit with some weight in the side tanks.

Remarkable haulage power for such a small machine!

Thanks for filling us in Phil, it has to be said though Simon that all these wagons have been fitted with brass axle bearings so the train is very free running and as with all Phil's little locos they are well able to haul the sixty wagons.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Although there will be much reduced friction, there is still considerable mass to get moving: at 40g per wagon, that’s 2.4kg of inertia to overcome - fairly easy to keep moving, but starting up must require some care with the controller?

• RMweb Gold

Although there will be much reduced friction, there is still considerable mass to get moving: at 40g per wagon, that’s 2.4kg of inertia to overcome - fairly easy to keep moving, but starting up must require some care with the controller?

The advantage of three link couplings, start them off one at a time?

Mike.

• Like 1

Mike.

Yeah, I suppose that would be the easiest way to start a train like that, I can't remember if Phil closed up the train or not....

Dave. :onthequiet:

Edited by davefrk

Spwung drawbars help a little.

Most of this was knocked up about 1974 as you can probably tell. The springy bit and buffers came a bit later.

post-508-0-32746000-1538325012_thumb.jpg

p

Note Mr F, amongst all the crap it's EM and still with the original Jackson 3 holers.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 5 weeks later...

Just to say that Robert Carroll has restored the link to the Thames/Clyde train formation on page 2 post number 46.

Had a number of questions about this so it's now available once again, thanks Robert.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not so sure. Certainly they are cradle as opposed to saddle mounted but the cradle mounted came with small & large tanks in both 10 & 12ft wheelbase versions.

For our time period my "ammonia plant informant" told me the smaller diameter tanks were used predominantly in Chlorine traffic but tanks; dependant on traffic demands, could be rinsed (or totally swopped) and with a change of signage used in other traffic. This seems to be borne out in one of D Larkins books where I'm told Tank 308 appears in methanol traffic livery (Riveted tank) and plain ICI livery (Welded tank).

This image shows a comparison in tank diameters despite the AX containers being between.

attachicon.gifThornabyClaytonAmmonia.jpg

Not sure of the origin of that photo so I'll take it down if anyone complains.

The two in the centre of Mr Fords photo may be of the smaller dia. type but equally are they loaded and riding lower with the two outers empty & acting acting as barriers? (Ammonia Liquor Flashpoint 1,204 °F)

https://flic.kr/p/9s7CpD

Finally I expect to see one of yours with WD branding. This was just up the road from you in 1967.

attachicon.gifAmmonia-195-W↑D.jpg

EDIT

I'm coming round to your way of thinking Dave. Comparing the height of the tank against the BR Brake in the David Ford picture with the height of the tank in the LNER encyclopedia J39 pic against the short ar$e LMS type brake van they look smaller diameter. Possibly Charles Roberts builds of 1938. 

P

Returning to this discussion with Porcy I've now found the copy of a published photo someone gave me at a show, no details apart from early sixties.

post-10324-0-27381600-1542802105_thumb.jpg

The photo shows the two sizes of tanks used for liquified ammonia but more interestingly the three different liveries. The small tanks are approximately the same size as the old Hornby Dublo chlorine tanker which were sometimes cleaned out and redesignated for other liquified gases. One of the small ones has the taller dome cover which can sometimes be spotted in a train of the larger tanks.

I really must get my rake of tanks moved on a bit with the domes, ladders and walkways.

If anyone is concerned with the picture please say and I'll credit it and or remove it.

Dave.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I took this picture last week and I rather like it despite the Hornby signal box, (etched brass replacement pending), no point rodding,  lack of loco lamps, poorly weathered 13ton 7 plank, the snow covered embankment and the plain magnolia sky....

1486258073_CrabonWharfeside.JPG.811f008b1d8482b626b136785ea39d53.JPG

A Merry Christmas to all our readers.

Dave .

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned elsewhere I've been working on a loco in the spare minutes I manage to gather together and with Rmweb being down recently I managed to find a bit more time....

At the club just before Christmas we had a social and running evening on the Alloa layout and I took some new OO locos out of their boxes (without the help of Youtube videos), one of them was the lovely Midland 3F tender loco and running with two LMS non-corridor coaches as seen in photos of the Wharfedale line in the fifties, I was smitten.... As a kid I had a Tri-ang 3F and it was one of my favourite locos so I just have to have one for Wharfeside, two or three numbers to choose from too.

Now being me I've had to build a better tender with CSB suspension and fit a Bill Bedford CSB loco chassis that I've had for years, to be honest it might have been better to look for the body of one  but I could probably sell the tender and loco chassis on Ebay.

Anyway the loco is sitting up on it's EM chassis but with temporary old Romfords and the tender built up from the etches I had done a while ago as an experiment is sitting on an LMS springy chassis it all looks so promising. The motor is one of these wee square ones I've been asked to destroy sorry, long term test. The motor is married to a HighLevel 60:1 box and it seems to be more than powerful enough for a 3F but provision has been made so it can be changed to my preferred Mashima 1424 if required later.

I'll post some pictures and details later if anyone is interested.

More News:-

Not Wharfeside but the kitchen build, remember that?

Well after we decided to go for a new back door I decided not to fit the expensive flooring until the door was fitted so between trying to decide what door we wanted, as well as a new front door, then waiting for the rep to call and take the order then waiting for the surveyer to call and measure up and take notes of what we wanted  it was into the Autumn so with the preferred company being very busy it was the week before Christmas when the doors were finally fitted, a lovely job they did too and being the same company that fitted the windows a number of years ago the backdoor was able to be 'coupled' to the same make of windows so it all looks 'as one'.

So, after the Christmas break I started putting the floor down, heavy duty vinyl tiles about 650 x 325 which click together and being heavy duty they were an total pig to cut and have left me with sore wrists but they look magic, worth the money and could be mistaken for slate tiles so madam is very pleased.

Just a few other odds and ends to do then apparently it's the rear bedroom to redo, I don't know why cause it was done just 20 years ago.

Now I know Mike will come back with some comment or other regarding him fitting two kitchens, a bathroom, three bedrooms two with ensuite and a thirty metre pool all in one weekend working 9 to 5 but I don't care, he's retired I'm not so there.

A Happy New Year to all and 'Lang may yer lumb reek'.  :locomotive:

Dave Franks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Returning to this discussion with Porcy I've now found the copy of a published photo someone gave me at a show, no details apart from early sixties.

Rubbish weathering on the middle tank wagon! ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I should have posted this before now, A bit of Wharfeside is being demo'd at the Chris Kedgley Skills day in Linlithgow this Saturday 9th. The event is a one day event so don't try for the Sunday. Full details on another post.

Some CSB sprung locos as well as conversions to EM will be performing with a few visitors loaned from friends.

Dave.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 6

On 21/11/2018 at 12:21, davefrk said:

How is it, I've only just seen this. Nice.

Well_played_old_chap.jpg.6333d41b47e7f747479eba1f92ba900e.jpg

P

• 2 weeks later...