Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

Only just discovered this thread gents, and it is quite a tour de force you have embarked on Mr. Franks. Glad I only require 6 of your ex-LMS buffer stops for the size of layout I am working on! Going back a few pages, and on the subject of Ken Northwood and his North Devon Railway. I briefly knew Ken, and visited his 'Torreyford' a couple of times when I lived in Edinburgh in the 60's. It was fantastic and filled the loft at Ken and Lal's bungalow in Craigcrook. Ken was, I think, the 'inventor' of the pinpoint axle, and explained to me how he modified his 4mm axles manually by fixing them to a small piece of wood, and filing the ends down as he ran the axle/wood contraption up and down on the work bench. He must have spent many hours doing this, as he proudly told me his 8F would reverse an 80-wagon train through pointwork, without a hitch.  Tedious but ground-breaking stuff.  It was about that time I met Don Rowlands, who then worked on Robertson Avenue, Edinburgh, and lived near Dalkeith, where I visited his then developing 'EM' layout.    

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hello Dave,

Great to see an update on Wharfeside. I read through the whole thread a while back as I'm working on stock and plans (I don't have the room to start the actual building, yet, as I'm trying to sell my house) for a layout based on the track plan and buildings at Otley, and running some of the trains from the main Wharfedale line as well as those on the Otley branch. 

I may have missed where you've said this earlier in the thread, so apologies, but is your layout based on any station in particular? 

Mark

12 hours ago, Mad McCann said:

Glad to have you back on the radar, chief!

Thanks Dave, haven't been on this place much, God the adverts are annoying...

Always been around just pick up the phone.  Railway running well, was talking to JW about having a Monday running day sometime, you interested?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's only because Fiona has had enough of him under her feet!

Mike.

Been working from home since 1999 so she should be used to it by now, besides I'm either outside in the casting shed, at the packing desk or if I have a spare ten minutes the work bench.

It is good to have some Mojo back though it's been quite a dark period.

Fiona has just said hola.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 20/02/2022 at 08:27, Mark90 said:

Hello Dave,

Great to see an update on Wharfeside. I read through the whole thread a while back as I'm working on stock and plans (I don't have the room to start the actual building, yet, as I'm trying to sell my house) for a layout based on the track plan and buildings at Otley, and running some of the trains from the main Wharfedale line as well as those on the Otley branch. 

I may have missed where you've said this earlier in the thread, so apologies, but is your layout based on any station in particular? 

Mark

Hi mark, thanks for your comments, hope your house sale/purchase goes okay, friend of mine has had a terrible time trying to start a house build but he ended up dropping the project due to some blxxdy awkward potential neighbours who didn't like the fact the farmer had sold land behind their property...

The layout is loosely based on Burley in Wharfedale but as there were three or four proposals of the line I have supposed a slightly different route up the valley slightly closer to the river where there was a hamlet called Wharfeside.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, davefrk said:

Hi mark, thanks for your comments, hope your house sale/purchase goes okay, friend of mine has had a terrible time trying to start a house build but he ended up dropping the project due to some blxxdy awkward potential neighbours who didn't like the fact the farmer had sold land behind their property...

The layout is loosely based on Burley in Wharfedale but as there were three of four proposals of the line I have supposed a slightly different route up the valley slightly closer to the river where there was a hamlet called Wharfeside.

Many thanks. I am hoping for a smooth process - early days!

Looking at pictures of Burley-in-Wharfedale station today and back then - such a contrast. A shame indeed that the old station building has been demolished. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, davefrk said:

Thanks Dave, haven't been on this place much, God the adverts are annoying...

Always been around just pick up the phone.  Railway running well, was talking to JW about having a Monday running day sometime, you interested?

I'll take you up on that phone call then. Might have to do the same with the running day. (Consults timetables)...

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/02/2022 at 08:51, johndon said:

Cheers Dave, any time you're in the North East.

Thanks for the invite, I'm not getting about much really, haven't seen my sister in Shields for over two years, might be down sometime over the summer. The group have been invited to Wigan with the Alloa layout so might see you then.

Dave

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davefrk said:

Thanks for the invite, I'm not getting about much really, haven't seen my sister in Shields for over two years, might be down sometime over the summer. The group have been invited to Wigan with the Alloa layout so might see you then.

Dave

I think we may be at Wigan next year.  This year we are doing Expo EM in Bracknell in May and Manchester in December.  If you do get down over the summer give me a shout.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, davefrk said:

I mentioned a viaduct which has taken a number of years to come to fruition, originally started as a demo at Modelrail Scotland four or five years ago and then placed on the layout so running could be enjoyed. Luckily the month before the lockdown I removed it to work on at home, the corners of the piers needed filling where the embossed stone produced gaps, a bit mind numbing so a bit at a time was filled and filed to shape then end of last year it was ready for painting and weathering. 

Track was laid early on but I've left the ballasting till the viaduct is permanently fixed down.

Plywood frame clad with 3mm plastic sheet (in one piece from an 4 x 2ft sheet) fixed with pins not glued, overlaid with 7mm embossed stone for the piers then 4mm stone for the arches, brick for the under arches, plastic sections for the details and coping stones.

Viaduct.JPG.4e7207497a12bba3937dd73be391507e.JPG

Luckily I had a dimensioned Midland Railway drawing to get the proportions correct as my eye is often drawn to structures which are too heavy or improbably awkward, there was a comment from a punter at a demo who said the piers were too skinny so I showed him the drawing, 'Oh okay' was his last comment.

Dave.

Can feel the freezing drizzle blowing down the dale already...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, davefrk said:

I mentioned a viaduct which has taken a number of years to come to fruition, originally started as a demo at Modelrail Scotland four or five years ago and then placed on the layout so running could be enjoyed. Luckily the month before the lockdown I removed it to work on at home, the corners of the piers needed filling where the embossed stone produced gaps, a bit mind numbing so a bit at a time was filled and filed to shape then end of last year it was ready for painting and weathering. 

Track was laid early on but I've left the ballasting till the viaduct is permanently fixed down.

Plywood frame clad with 3mm plastic sheet (in one piece from an 4 x 2ft sheet) fixed with pins not glued, overlaid with 7mm embossed stone for the piers then 4mm stone for the arches, brick for the under arches, plastic sections for the details and coping stones.

Viaduct.JPG.4e7207497a12bba3937dd73be391507e.JPG

Luckily I had a dimensioned Midland Railway drawing to get the proportions correct as my eye is often drawn to structures which are too heavy or improbably awkward, there was a comment from a punter at a demo who said the piers were too skinny so I showed him the drawing, 'Oh okay' was his last comment.

Dave.

My instant reaction on seeing the picture was the proportions look spot on. A lot of model viaducts are not.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, will try to finish the signal box before any other building work although the goods shed does have four walls done for a demo at the last Model Rail Scotland. Talking of which I hear a few people were asking where I was this weekend which was nice of them. I had decided due to my health condition I would stay home this time however work has continued as I have now wound all the electro magnet uncouplers I need for the layout so time has been used constructively.

I have heard Model Rail was quite busy though it was difficult to tell due to the wider aisles to allow some distancing, our demo guys did well so good on you guys.

• Friendly/supportive 4

9 minutes ago, davefrk said:

I had decided due to my health condition I would stay home this time however work has continued as I have now wound all the electro magnet uncouplers

Interesting.. What did you use for the cores Mr F?  I've got the wire, some soft iron bolts, bits to measure (and visualise) the magnetic field along with a head full of ideas but have stalled due to a lack of insulating penny washers.

P

(Stay safe)

Hi Paul, the cores were 6mm x 150mm nails off ebay cut to 40mm long and these nylon washers also ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133930274723?var=433379499252  available in different sizes.

The 15mm nylon washers were 5mm bore so I used a taper reamer to open them out till they were just a tight fit on the nail/cores. First I put a few turns of Tamiya 18mm masking tape on the core then fitted the washers, drilled a 0.5 hole in the bottom end washer to allow the enamel copper wire through and start winding with the core held in a cordless drill till the windings were just under the diameter of the washers then wound more tape round the coil trapping the wire tails which after burning the enamel off with a lighter and tinning will be put into a chocolate block connector. I,ve made these for a few layouts  over the years and I believe the layout Montague Field which was at Glasgow still has them in use with B&B couplings. The brackets are N/S and just stop the magnet falling out the hole. My Jackson type couplings work fine with 12volts and a small 3 amp pushbutton switch.

electromagnets.JPG.29d38908e7a22581dcbdd42685c35a8c.JPG  

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 27/02/2022 at 19:20, davefrk said:

Hi Paul, the cores were 6mm x 150mm nails off ebay cut to 40mm long and these nylon washers also ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133930274723?var=433379499252  available in different sizes.

The 15mm nylon washers were 5mm bore so I used a taper reamer to open them out till they were just a tight fit on the nail/cores. First I put a few turns of Tamiya 18mm masking tape on the core then fitted the washers, drilled a 0.5 hole in the bottom end washer to allow the enamel copper wire through and start winding with the core held in a cordless drill till the windings were just under the diameter of the washers then wound more tape round the coil trapping the wire tails which after burning the enamel off with a lighter and tinning will be put into a chocolate block connector. I,ve made these for a few layouts  over the years and I believe the layout Montague Field which was at Glasgow still has them in use with B&B couplings. The brackets are N/S and just stop the magnet falling out the hole. My Jackson type couplings work fine with 12volts and a small 3 amp pushbutton switch.

electromagnets.JPG.1c5c15371d4388f65abee25d9bb4f834.JPG  

Nothing to stop you going into full scale production mode Uncle Poursea, thanks to Great Uncle F...put me down for a good dozen please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axlebox said:

Nothing to stop you going into full scale production mode Uncle Poursea, thanks to Great Uncle F...put me down for a good dozen please.

Oi!, less of the 'Great Uncle' if you don't mind....

Dave.

Edited by davefrk
  • Funny 3

Having been asked if I was able to replace the missing pictures on the Wharfeside thread by a number of people I've managed to replace most but some are still hiding from me. To be honest I wasn't going to bother as I'm not on this place much these days but as people were asking I thought I better.

The layout has been getting worked on every club night with fettling and wiring improvements or fixes, 12 uncoupling electro magnets have been fitted in strategic places, switches fitted to the panel, all wired up and working well. A weird fault at one end of the fiddleyard was showing up when certain points were set with one road being dead when it's point was set against it but became live again when a different point was set a certain way, this caused some head scratching for weeks but last Thursday the problem was finally found and sorted.

So there we are, I'll try to post progress as it happens including the loco building which I now've got a bit more time for, 2P, B16 Black 5, 8F etc.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1