Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

Just dropping by to say what a terrific layout this is. To tell you the truth it's giving me second thoughts about P4!

I would love to see a track plan or overall view--you've struck such a lovely balance with the amount and placement of trackwork. Truly captures the essence of the railway, or at least those parts I'm most drawn to. I especially admire the diversity of trackwork--that line in flatbottom really sells the 50s/60s theme.

Inspiring modelling, to say the least.

Quentin

Edited by mightbe
  • Thanks 1

Are you going to fix the lamps permanently Dave or will you make them demountable?

Dave.

Hi Dave, I had planned on fixing the lamps on most locos as they will be on particular trains but I also have plans to drill out a few and set magnets in to hold them to the steel lamp irons.

Dave Franks.

Just dropping by to say what a terrific layout this is. To tell you the truth it's giving me second thoughts about P4!

I would love to see a track plan or overall view--you've struck such a lovely balance with the amount and placement of trackwork. Truly captures the essence of the railway, or at least those parts I'm most drawn to. I especially admire the diversity of trackwork--that line in flatbottom really sells the 50s/60s theme.

Inspiring modelling, to say the least.

Quentin

Hi Quentin, thanks for the post. Yes a few known P4 people have said that to me, I did dabble with P4 and helped out with trackwork and ballasting on Burnisland for a while but decided to concentrate on getting my own layout to an operable state, I feel EM is more achievable for people working on their own on a sizeable project. People do say EM is the middle ground but it does have advantages over both OO and P4. The track and wheels look better than OO, wheel changes on rolling stock are quite easy and loco conversions of rigid RTR can be made to run reliably if the track is good. If you lay the track carefully and as the guys in the club will testify I didn't let anyone else build the points - one person, one set of the right track gauges, one standard of wheels and everything should run just right. Most running sessions have no derailments even with 40 wagon trains in reverse with three link couplings. Kit built locos all have some sort of suspension or other more recent builds have CSB suspension.

The idea of the different types of track was from field trips to the area where within a mile one could see bullhead on wood sleepers, bullhead on wartime concrete sleepers and early BR flatbottom track. Some of the old bullhead rail has even been welded at the joints with the bolt holes still being seen. This got me interested enough in track to try to model what was seen in the 50s and as Bill Bedford was needing someone to test build some etches for the very type of BR track needed I tried some and bought more when it became available.

Time is the problem these days but slow and steady does it.

Thanks again.

Dave Franks.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi good people, progress still slow on the layout but bridge building has been going on at home. The bridge is based on the one at Sackville Street on the outskirts of Skipton over the Wharfdale line but it is so similar to the bridge at Dent on the S&C that I used the drawings for that though that is brick built. Both bridges span across a deep cutting.

2134053162_eWharfesideroadbridge.jpg.13647c0a62ee05a4f3d4e96ce9802cdb.jpg

138532398_eWharfesideroadbridge2.jpg.0f9248afa84c15ae1462ea26432f9952.jpg

3mm Plastic sheet for the basic structure and the stone is from Plastruct,. The structure was put together with Mekpac then left to 'off gas' for a week, the stone sheet was then laminated on with 'Limolene' which is a less volatile liquid glue and stays liquid for longer so it can be painted on and the stone sheet squeezed onto it.

Two of the piers still have the corners to fill and smooth over but you get the idea.

This was to be my Demo piece for Modelrail Scotland but I'm enjoying it that much it might be finished before that...

Onwards and upwards.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 11

Trial fit of Wharfeside bridge.

996463658_eWharfesidebridge2.jpg.5c93be361655b12894c6556a37b35363.jpg

1749271279_eWharfesidebridge.jpg.7357e4ac7734a2164f3e804114c210f0.jpg

Adds a bit of height to the layout, the cutting will eventually continue round to hide the fiddleyard dead end sidings.

The redundant siding was a headshunt to a sanatorium and was weathered by Jamie Wood and the ash ballast was by me, needs some weeds now.

I'll be working on the bridge at ModelRail Scotland next week.

Dave Franks

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 15

Sackville David, I had family living in that part of the West Riding for many years.

The bridge looks fabbo in situ.

Beware reprobates in Glasgow, not that I'm well enough to be there - annoyingly!

• 2 months later...

Been doing a bit of ballasting these last few club nights.

1665154074_Wharfesideballasting.jpg.bcff0c71897291400c00c13d66fe9858.jpg

Yes there is a cant in the track, only three people have noticed it so far.

The dark ballast of the area is my own mix for the running lines fixed with a weak PVA solution, the ash of the siding and cess is fine clean sand fixed with a weak PVA solution with a squirt of black poster paint added so no painting required when dry, just weathering. It all seems to run quiet enough.

I really must finish the filling and blending in of the stone piers on this unseen side of the bridge.

Dave Franks

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 15

Thanks for the pictures Dave, had been wondering how the layout was looking (it looks great, naturally).

Thanks Jamie, so when are we going to see you next, there's a culvert still with your name on it....

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk

Thanks Jamie, so when are we going to see you next, there's a culvert still with your name on it....

All the best,

Dave Franks.

If I told you when I was going to show up, then I'd lose the element of surprise!

I haven't forgotten it :-)

• Like 1

If I told you when I was going to show up, then I'd lose the element of surprise!

I haven't forgotten it :-)

Aye, just like the Spanish Inquisition....

Remember to bring your baseboard ends for machining, 'John the joiner' was asking a few weeks ago.

All the best.

Dave. 

• Like 1

One whole baseboard ballasting finished last night and I remembered how to setup the wee camera for a better depth of field.

927235615_Wharfesidebridge3.jpg.2c9bef58ffcc30fee901d96e71024d9d.jpg

And made a start on the next board. The cut is for the point rodding.

1117179281_Wharfesideballasting2.jpg.2929659b543cf096b90dd2e7ef1240f4.jpg

Someone once said to me - trackwork doesn't come alive till it's ballasted and I was shaking with anticipation.

1034813879_Wharfesideballasting3.jpg.721a4f700c186f472c12b1c6aaa68214.jpg

I'm beginning to see what he meant.
The bufferstop looked bare till now, a selection of ashballast, old stone ballast mixed in and newish ballast on the main.

I like....

Dave F

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 14

One whole baseboard ballasting finished last night and I remembered how to setup the wee camera for a better depth of field.

Attachment:

file.php?id=4620Wharfeside bridge 3.jpg [ 129.6 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

And made a start on the next board. The cut is for the point rodding.

Attachment:

file.php?id=4621Wharfeside ballasting 2.jpg [ 166.82 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

Someone once said to me - trackwork doesn't come alive till it's ballasted and I was shaking with anticipation.

Attachment:

file.php?id=4622Wharfeside ballasting 3.jpg [ 113.27 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

I'm beginning to see what he meant.

The bufferstop looked bare till now, a selection of ashballast, old stone ballast mixed in and newish ballast on the main.

I like....

Dave F

Wow, that's probably the best ballast and track combo I've ever seen on a model ! Superb .

Nice bufferstops, whose are they?

Mike.

Well I don't know but could it be that guy who accused you of being someone who could model anything from a toilet seat to a yellow polka-dot bikini.

Oh dear, now I can't get that image outta ma head.

Dave Franks

And for those in a more sensible  frame of mind see the linky below.