Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

I was thinking that you'd done a good job of hiding the pips on those Peco jobbies :)

Now, now Jason, that really did hurt. There are no jobbies on my railway, PECO or otherwise....

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I guess it is the equivalent of being asked if my Mill building is Metcalfe or Chris's RSH a Hornby Peckett (both of which have happened)

I guess it is the equivalent of being asked if my Mill building is Metcalfe or Chris's RSH a Hornby Peckett (both of which have happened)

Yes I can believe it happened, I've known people asking where the kit for the station building came from after a mate spent months building it. We've decided that each time this question comes up we'll say yes it is a kit but we made all the parts for the kit then put it together. Some people just don't get the 'building from scratch' idea.

Another question, a WD 2-10-0 I'd built for the same layout,  punters asked if it was the newly released Bachmann one.....  Arrrrgggghhh.   We could have suggested Specsavers but only said 'count the wheels'.

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Goodness only knows what they'll think to my NER 1001... 

One whole baseboard ballasting finished last night and I remembered how to setup the wee camera for a better depth of field.

Attachment:
file.php?id=4620

Wharfeside bridge 3.jpg [ 129.6 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

And made a start on the next board. The cut is for the point rodding.

Attachment:
file.php?id=4621

Wharfeside ballasting 2.jpg [ 166.82 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

Someone once said to me - trackwork doesn't come alive till it's ballasted and I was shaking with anticipation.

Attachment:
file.php?id=4622

Wharfeside ballasting 3.jpg [ 113.27 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

I'm beginning to see what he meant.

The bufferstop looked bare till now, a selection of ashballast, old stone ballast mixed in and newish ballast on the main.

I like....

Dave F

Hi all, someone has asked what paint was used on the rail, chairs and stops. Revell number 84 is the answer, it covers well if stirred properly and dries quickly, no primer just straight on. The bufferstop will be weathered further with Carrs powders when the track is weathered.

Dave.

• Like 3

Lovely ballasting, Dave. It looks just right and I'm glad to see you differentiated between the running line ballast and the lower grade ash mix you get in sidings.

Great looking and well observed.

D.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, one can't go wrong with period photographs. Modern or preservation photos can twist the details quite a bit. I just don't see the logic in ballasting sidings to mainline standards and neither did the big railway.

The ballasting is continuing but now we've got to the area that needs the timbers set out for the point rodding....

Dave Franks

Was ballasting some more today, didn't quite finish the pointwork. I did take a better picture of the bufferstop though.

105115615_Wharfesideballasting3.jpg.e69db91948fa68134192f0c34dfa9bba.jpg

More ballasting tomorrow night so some more photos and maybe some with trains in too.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Was ballasting some more today, didn't quite finish the pointwork. I did take a better picture of the bufferstop though.

attachicon.gifWharfeside ballasting 3.jpg

More ballasting tomorrow night so some more photos and maybe some with trains in too.

Dave Franks.

I take it the kitchen is finished as you seem to have plenty of time on your hands!

Mike.

I take it the kitchen is finished as you seem to have plenty of time on your hands!

Mike.

The Kitchen is still waiting on a new floor covering as we can't agree on would look good plus a few other wee jobs to tidy up.

So there. :beee:

• RMweb Gold

The Kitchen is still waiting on a new floor covering as we can't agree on would look good plus a few other wee jobs to tidy up.

So there. :beee:

I've emigrated and fitted 2 kitchens over here whilst you've been cogitating, get your finger oot mon!

Mike.

A few pictures from yesterday evening's session.

Ballast progressing well and can you spot the BR Mark 1 flat bottom track?

684386040_Pointworkattankhouse.jpg.f73dd9e22685fec48378e0d0e91060c7.jpg

An old Airfix 4F which has been updated with a new gearbox from Highlevel and the tender is getting detailed with Brassmaster's bits.

1928863333_LMS4FatWharfeside.jpg.93f9b85a00b7e467b0f65a1bee4eb1e5.jpg

A lovely sunny evening at Wharfeside, (which shows up the strip of polythene used to separate the ballast at the baseboard join).

1172797103_FairburnatWharfeside2.jpg.90162118e4fd95c22e493613bfcfb314.jpg

I've only just noticed I haven't painted this side of the rails in some places either. Doh.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 17

I've emigrated and fitted 2 kitchens over here whilst you've been cogitating, get your finger oot mon!

Mike.

Oh and how we all cheered ...... Not about yer two kitchens you understand.

All the best Mike.

Dave

TFIC.

Hi Iain, hope you're keeping well. The motor is a 1624 Mashima round can mounted vertically in the firebox, one of the best they do/did. The gearbox was one of the new prototypes I was to test to destruction for Chris at Highlevel, it hasn't broken yet despite circulating some nights for hours with 40,50,60 wagons whilst I'm working on the layout, it has the new HL designed gears with the final drive gear mounted on a turned brass boss with grub screw, it is now available in the Highlevel range.

All the Best,

Dave.

That is delightful flowing trackwork, something I am very keen on. Please keep the piccies coming.

Derek

Hi Derek, thank you for the comment, I'm with you in that I like the running line to look flowing. The thing that jars with me on some models is a nice curve on the main line with an obvious straight point in the middle which if one were walking down the coach corridor you would be thrown about especially at the speeds some trains are driven at.

Yards and terminal station approaches are different as speeds are slow, or should be.

Dave.

Right Dave I need you to do my track work. I will build your Lanny up.

Running away very fast

Mark

Aye right!

Landie is nearly there but hasn't made it for this weekends Landie show at Ingliston near Edinburgh, the club stand is there though.

Dave.

Someone has asked how I go about ballasting so here is a snippet of what I wrote on another place.

I'm told I have the patience of a saint... Actually I find it quite therapeutic even without 'Planet Rock Radio' playing in the background. I do 2 to 3 feet a session 6 inches at a time, double track. Pouring the ballast from a deep coffee jar lid which has a 3mm hole drilled in the edge, tapping the lid with the index finger it is very controllable. Then push the ballast around under the rails and tamp it down with a 6mm flat artist brush. The glue mix is B&Qs 'Diall' Decorators PVA with 2:1 of water to glue and a few drops of cheap washing up liquid. This mix doesn't seem to give a green tint like Resin W wood glue and green 'Fairy Liquid' does and when set seems to run quieter than what I've experienced in the past yet still holds the ballast firmly.

747748366_Ballastatplatform..jpg.3f4bc33e9c0c06b96254299eb6c427d9.jpg

Hope that helps.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Dave

We are using a "mist" of IPA over the ballast before adding the glue/water mix. It does work well. More experience required of what it does to the weathering...Hopefully a few photos on the Chapel thread soon.

Baz