Wharfeside, a lifetime's project

davefrk

Well hello stranger, how have you been? Was talking about you today at the SEC, your old friend Jim was asking if you will be visiting so I'll ask the same question.

Cheers, :beee:

Dave F.

So that's why my ears were burning!  Might make it on Saturday if I can face braving the crowds.  Hope you have a good weekend, and talk yourself hoarse as usual  :nowinkclear:

• RMweb Gold

Well hello stranger, how have you been? Was talking about you today at the SEC, your old friend Jim was asking if you will be visiting so I'll ask the same question.

Cheers, :beee:

Dave F.

Agree...Nice to see you posting again Jamie...

If you visit Mr.Frank's emporium I'm sure he'll show you his buffer collection....

As an aside projects are a foot for a layout based on the Oban-Ballachulish line as well as Reston-Duns and St.Boswell's in the Border Country..

Looking forwards to seeing Wharfside develop as well Dave. Know the area well. Arthington and the junction towards Otley off the Harrogate-Leeds line always looks interesting modelling wise.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Agree...Nice to see you posting again Jamie...

If you visit Mr.Frank's emporium I'm sure he'll show you his buffer collection....

As an aside projects are a foot for a layout based on the Oban-Ballachulish line as well as Reston-Duns and St.Boswell's in the Border Country..

Looking forwards to seeing Wharfside develop as well Dave. Know the area well. Arthington and the junction towards Otley off the Harrogate-Leeds line always looks interesting modelling wise.

Cheers,

Mark

I've got etchings too....

And Jamie's seen them....

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Just taken delivery of some very nice microswitches from 'inhelume', these are to replace the function of the SEEP switches on their point motors which are starting to cause faults like intermittent contact and shorts! These microswitches are properly made and reasonably priced. I've had a couple on test mounted on a subframe with a SEEP and it seems to function as required. I'll post a photo of the set up later as for now we're out to lunch, quite literally.

The switches bought were these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-Micro-Switch-Long-Lever-SS-5GL-3-V4-Miniature-Microswitch-SPDT-heavy-duty/230800798717

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

Hi all, I've posted this elsewhere but I'm supposing it should be posted here too. I'm in the process of constructing the goods shed which was at Burley in Wharfedale. It was basically a Midland shed but with detail differences. What I'm after is photos of the inside walls, platform, roof trusses and hand crane.  I have plenty photos and measurements of the outside details from the similar shed down the line at Guiseley but I was unable to gain entry to the inside. Any photos of a small MR goods shed would help, I have scoured the various books and websites but they produced little info.

Guiseley shed.

post-10324-0-03630700-1521622528_thumb.jpg

Many thanks,

Dave.

Dave,

It may not be of any help but Bill Hudson's book on the Peak line has some good info on Midland Goods sheds - both photographic and drawn. A google image search on the Bakewell goods shed turned a fair amount of info when I put it in.

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim, thanks very much for the links and photos, they have the detail of the roof trusses I wanted. The photos show two cranes in these sheds though I'm still wondering if the smaller three wagon shed would only have one as the loading areas are closer together. The drawings for the S&C sheds don't show any interior detail unfortunately.

Work on the goods shed has stopped for the moment as I'm working all hours casting and packing for Scalefour North.

Cheers,

Dave Franks.

• 1 month later...

Well thanks Iain, I think...

Dave, the Stanier hooter was our good friend Gerry yawning would you believe.

Also I forgot to say some of the clips were taken some time ago before all the ballasting was done.

Dave Franks.

Hi Dave, people seem to like the clips; that's good news.

A couple of corrections, the loco on the tanker train is a J17, nit J15; the J17 is a more powerful loco. It's almost finished; as Dave says, it needs cab glazing and a crew, then weathering and that's it.

The last clip is not Moray Firth but your Black 5, my contribution to the train are the Thompson 6 wheel PBV and Gresley Pigeon Van at the head of the train.

Phil.

• Like 1

Hi Phil, so you've got signed up at last, well done.  I wasn't sure of the GER J class but I've corrected it now (I need educating on all things GER) and how I got the last clip details wrong I just don't know.

All the best,

Dave.

"The first is the amazing sight of Phil's GER J70 tram loco purring round with a few wagons, I say a few but actually 60 yes 60 wagons, count them, that's probably 6 times more than the real thing."

Here's some info taken from the LNER Encyclopedia .lner.info

"On one occasion, No. 7131 was recorded leaving Upwell with 48 wagons of about 400 tons of fruit. By Elm Bridge, it was short of water and had to run light to Wisbech to fill up!"

• Like 1

A wee bit more than an hour Mike although in my period minerals weren't so decrepit as your stuff in the sixties some were even brand new. Most are Bachmann repainted in various hues of grey then renumbered to suit the diagram, Bachmann didn't always get it right, some are lightly weathered others still to be done. There are about a dozen kit built but have had the same paint job, the seven plankers are mostly kits with a few Bachmann and they have been through the weathering shop. All have had three links or Jacksons fitted, new buffers as necessary and all now have brass bearings for the Gibson EM wheelsets making them much more free running hence 60 wagons behind the J70. The record still stands at 117 behind an 8F, must try it again now more wagons are available.... 150 maybe?

Dave Franks.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, this is the first photo that has been processed on the new Windose 10 computer so I hope it works, I just don't like the way W10 deals with photos so I'll be looking at another program that I was using and know well.

I mentioned a wee while ago about fitting the SEEP point motors on the fiddleyard with independent switches for the frog polarity and also route indication.

post-10324-0-26378900-1527497470_thumb.jpg

The micro switches are good quality ones from an EBAY seller - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-Micro-Switch-Long-Lever-SS-5GL-3-V4-Miniature-Microswitch-SPDT-heavy-duty/230800798717?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

The switches are mounted on a 10mm plastic block which is glued onto a 2mm baseplate which also locates the point motor, the brass screws are 12mm long and screw into tapped holes in the plastic block and the switches have a wee bit of movement for adjustment. The switches have some mechanical resistance but being 'back to back' one switch overcomes the other so there is little resistance for the solenoid to overcome plus the spring that presses on the daft washer that forms the SEEP switch is stripped out so there is much less stiffness in the pointmotor itself. Now under test two or three motors will fire instead of barely one on 16 volt AC though a CDU on 24 volt will be used eventually but it shows up the difference in the set up. The purple and blue wires are for the solenoid, white and yellow  are the frog polarity and the other switch will be for the route indication.

There's at least a dozen of these switch units fitted now and are working as expected.

Why use SEEPs in this day and age? They've been sitting in a box for nearly twenty years waiting to be fitted to a fiddleyard not built till recently so why not.

Dave Franks

• Like 4

A question was asked regarding the screws seen on the Seep motor, they are there just for the photo set up, woodscrews are used to hold the whole assembly together and on the baseboard.

Dave Franks.

Just been examining one of my DJH Black fives after it failed a few weeks ago. Built in the nineties and fitted with a Portescap motor/gearbox. It was hauling a lightish train of 8 Stanier coaches when the controller tripped out. Gave it a slight push and it ran a few more feet slowly then tripped again. Checked the controller on other section switches and it ran other trains okay so it was the loco. On the bench the motor wouldn't run with leads to the wheels and the old controller tripped out so a short was suspected. disconnected the tender pickups, still a short, disconnected the motor leads, no short, checked motor, the Faulhaber coreless motor has a short.... Great. The loco has Ultrascale wheels, hornblocks etc so I don't really want to strip it completely, managed to get to the motor screws and removed the motor, still shorting.

Last year I picked up a couple of 24mm coreless motors on Ebay, copies of the Escap/Faulhaber motor even the end boss fits the portescap mount perfectly but, --- no screw holes so here is the question. Anyone had a similar coreless motor apart and is there room to drill and tap the end for remounting on the gearbox, not worried about what thread it is as I'll be doing it to a BA thread.

The other option is of course to fit one of my stash of Mashima 1630s like what are fitted in most of the other big locos.... but it means stripping the chassis down to remove the gearbox and fitting a new Highlevel box.

Decisions, decisions.... :cry:

Dave.

Edited by davefrk