Warley NEC - All over for another year. Feedback so Far.

wollastonblue

Im going Sunday when hopefully its going to be a quiter day than the Saturday.

Mind you I should imagine everywhere will still be 4 rows deep and have people with rucksacks with no manners and old boys charging into everyone.

What is it with rucksacks? Take em off or hold em differently!!!! Grrr!!!

I'm booked to be there - most likely the Saturday. I'm packing almost 3000 watts (equiv) of daylight balanced lighting so should be fairly easy to spot in the orange sea of sodium/mercury:)

I will be following you around then chris to use your lighting then i dont have to bother with mine and can have more space to piut the items on my list in

The meet is at 1 by centre peece so i lookforward to meeting some new people and putting names to faces

Muz that might leave fisherton a bit deserted lol

I will be following you around then chris to use your lighting then i dont have to bother with mine and can have more space to piut the items on my list in

The meet is at 1 by centre peece so i lookforward to meeting some new people and putting names to faces

Muz that might leave fisherton a bit deserted lol

You won't need to follow me around too far, my lighting will just be for new stock review pics on the Model Rail stand :lol: Would never do layouts shoots at a show - that's unfair on the paying public and the results would be marginal because it would be too rushed - some do I gather...tut! :rolleyes:

I must admit that Warley for me (and many I guess) is more of a working/social event than layout veiwing which can be trying at the best of times.

I was going to go up by train from Bristol Parkway to the show but just looked at the National Rail web site and its a bus from Gloucester to Birmingham New Street. Dont see the point of paying a high fare to sit on a bus. May as well drive for a lot less.

Im going Sunday when hopefully its going to be a quiter day than the Saturday.

Mind you I should imagine everywhere will still be 4 rows deep and have people with rucksacks with no manners and old boys charging into everyone.

What is it with rucksacks? Take em off or hold em differently!!!! Grrr!!!

I aint defending the people with ruck sacks but howdo you sugest they carry them in another way - i know they are anoying but people buy stuff at these shows -last year a guy had a suit case full

The old boys i admit are a newsence but people dont go worrying about these minor things we aint there to worry about the crowed but the models

Sam

Want to go but no money, which is usually what happens. If I took a small amount I would see loads that I want to buy. Still undecided!

Surely it's not just about buying (you can do that online later and probably cheaper when you have some money) - why not go to look at the layouts?

• RMweb Gold

Surely it's not just about buying (you can do that online later and probably cheaper when you have some money) - why not go to look at the layouts?

I think for me Warley is pretty much a shopping trip with some catching up with friends, certainly I rarely spend much time looking at layouts there other than the odd one or two. (The last time I went I dont remember looking at any layouts at all over than a quick glance as I walk past.)

This year I cant see being any different, half a day sat on demu, quick dash round the trade to see if there are any bargains that are useful, rest of the time more sitting about talking... The main reason for going this year is that I have to see Exactoscale at a show to be able to buy yard long lengths of rail for the layout....

Theres an off chance that I will have got a job by then as well, so will actually have some money to spend on things i'd like rather than just those needed to get on with the layout.

Probably because Warley is the worst exhibition in the country if you just want to enjoy watching layouts. You have a brief 90 min window of opportunity when the show first opens each day to get close to the layouts while the rest are scrum down at the trade stands. After that you have to fight hoards of soap dodging backpack wielding morons that clog up all the viewing space and camp out for ages having conversations with other smelly sherpas whilst ignoring the layout in front of them. If you do manage to eventually wrangle a viewing position be prepared to be bashed and knocked about by other backpackers. My last straw was 2 years ago when some idiot swung around and bashed into my camera as I was taking a picture. If not for a UV filter which was smashed I'd have been looking at ??400 for a new lens. Not even so much as an 'excuse me' or 'sorry' from the muppet. Warley is an event and a shopping mecca. Its not the place to enjoy layout watching.

• RMweb Gold

It is helpful from a 'shopping' viewpoint to be somewhere where you can see stuff and look at it (especially books in my case) before deciding to buy as even with a fairly good shop within 30 miles I can't always see and look through everything that might interest me. The same I suppose applies to some extent when it comes to buying modelling related whatever - bought a Bacchus rolling road at Wycrail and for an investment of that sort of cash I would certainly want a good look and some explanation before getting out the plastic.

And yes, sometimes looking at layouts can be very difficult at a large show like Warley - and also rather dangerous when those blasted rucksacks are suddenly rotated by less than thoughtful wearers who clearly didn't think about any gauging problems when they put the thing on. But sometimes one can get to see layouts and of course one gets to meet people, friends old & new, who sometimes one might not have seen for some years (I came across someone at York show last time I was there who I hadn't seen for 5 or more years); show attendance is, I reckon, normally a good social occasion. Similarly once we have fought our way to our seats (most likely again reserved twice over, I wonder if XC will be any cleverer than Virgin were?) on the train to International things are on usual form also likely to turn into a social gathering - that's all part of the occasion I think.

Anyway whatever else is happening tickets ordered on Thursday morning arrived today so at least we'll hopefully be able to get in.

OK, the shoppers win! :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a different note, maybe the 'unwashed bit' is in fact a secret ploy for people that want to see the layouts? They're quite clean in 'real life', but the week before a show they see no water or deodorant - bingo they then have the whole layout to themselves, with the rucksack being a standby weapon to remove any lingerers without a sense of smell?

Sorry, I'm being silly - it's been a long day :P

Don't take me seriously!

• RMweb Gold

OK, the shoppers win! :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a different note, maybe the 'unwashed bit' is in fact a secret ploy for people that want to see the layouts? They're quite clean in 'real life', but the week before a show they see no water or deodorant - bingo they then have the whole layout to themselves, with the rucksack being a standby weapon to remove any lingerers without a sense of smell?

Sorry, I'm being silly - it's been a long day :P

Don't take me seriously!

Great idea! Gonna try that one.

Archived