timber P wagons

theremin

Trevor Mann and Peter Fidczuk identify this wagon as being a 1966 conversion of either plate, double bolster or tube wagons built between 1928 and 1936. The conversions were undertaken by W H Davis and numbered 74 in total.

The wagons were used for carrying cut timber between the east cost ports and the Ashworth Kirk premises at Colwick, Notts.

Withdrawal took place in 1971-72.

HTH,

James

I have come to this thread very late, but I remember trains of timber wagons going past my parents house near Sleaford in the mid 1960s. The train originated at Boston Docks and from memory when new the wagons were painted a light green colour, and the train length varied, presumably due to the amount of timber on the latest ship to dock at the port.

If the destination was Colwick, it would make a lot of sense because the motive power was usually a class 25 and I always wondered where the train was going, as I never saw them anywhere else.

Hi

I am considering attempting to scratchbuild some timber P wagon in 00 scale probably from a parkside dundas plate wagon kit.

These wagons appear to be camera shy! Does anyone know of any good images of these wagons in books/magazines. Only found a few so far such as one in Don Rowlands 'British rail wagons' book. No luck on Paul Bartletts excellant wagon website unfortunately.

toby

Hi Toby

I actually scratched a few of these wagons (3 early versions and 2 late) for my layout. The basis of my scratchbuilds were the parkside plate wagoins but to be honest only the soulbars were of use and even then you'll need to take off the w-irons/wheel bearings. You can contact parkside and ask for just the black sprues to be sent to you. I fitted whitemetal roller bearings connected to compensated units for the wheel assembies and added sprung oleo buffers.

There's a set of works drawings for the late version wagon in the Model Railway Constructor 1983 Annual which can still be found online.

Here's a pic of of the early variant Timber P wagons that I made....

post-6828-0-35486600-1305568898_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The ones that I saw were not quite like the one above, as they did not have such substantial ends.

I have searched long and hard for a photo of the Boston-Colwick version and finally discovered some here :-

a Belvoir Junction  Class 45 D102 in plain green iron ore coming off banch Dec 68J1518

They are not at a perfect angle, but are the best I have found so far.

The ones that I saw were not quite like the one above, as they did not have such substantial ends.

I have searched long and hard for a photo of the Boston-Colwick version and finally discovered some here :-

a Belvoir Junction  Class 45 D102 in plain green iron ore coming off banch Dec 68J1518

They are not at a perfect angle, but are the best I have found so far.

Try these off BR wagon research (yahoo groups)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BR_wagon_research/photos/album/1451508184/pic/list

Mark Saunders

Seemed to have missed this thread resurrecting itself until now.

Those timber P scratchbuilds look excellent Northern Maiden. I was going to have a go myself having now acquired the judith edge conflat P kit as a basis.

Not sure if i'll post my build though after seeing yours :unsure: . There's obviously more to these wagons than i thought!

Toby

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Mad McCann said:

Just to revive this topic momentarily; I heard rumours of a possible kit for the Barrassie version.

Has this ever come to actual substance?

Davy.

"Scottish Modeller" is probably your man.  Nothing produced yet, to my knowledge.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 26power said:

Perhaps of some interest: 

Of almost more interest is the Class 24 at Corrour. If the lack of photos is anything to go by, they were a bit of a rarity on the West Highland line.

David 

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1