LMS in South Gloucestershire

lakeview770

• RMweb Gold

Hi I hope someone could help me with trying to find suitable coaches for LMS train around 1935-1940. Im not trying to recreate an exact train just something thats representative and wouldn't look out of place on the lines around Dursley/ Nailsworth/ Stroud & Thornbury. I have no clue about coaching stock so any help would be greatly appreciated, I doubt anything RTR is available so links to relevant kits would help.

Andy

The only ones RTR that I can think of that would be vaguely suitable would be the old Airfix non-corridor LMS coaches. I don't know if they have every been re-incarnated by Hornby/Dapol/Bachmann.  You can normally find them second hand at model shows, but as you are in Florida that probably isn't much help!

• RMweb Gold

The only ones RTR that I can think of that would be vaguely suitable would be the old Airfix non-corridor LMS coaches. I don't know if they have every been re-incarnated by Hornby/Dapol/Bachmann.  You can normally find them second hand at model shows, but as you are in Florida that probably isn't much help!

I think that those might be a bit modern for OP requirement. But they are currently available from Dapol as kits.

The Ratio Midland coaches might be more appropriate.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Summerson's "Midland Railway Locomotives, Vol 1", Stonehouse to Stroud/Nailsworth was first shown in the working timetable as using motor train (ie Pull & Push) operation on 18.7.1932. For these branches it is highly likely that LMS standard Period II stock would have been used initially - a D1735/D1790 driving trailer with (assuming a train longer than a single driving trailer) a matching third or composite. As the 1930s progressed it is possible that the Period II stock could have been replaced with Period III. No RTR driving trailer is available (would that it were!) although the new Hornby LMS non-corridors would fit the bill for the Period III third or composite. For the driving trailer you could perhaps modify the Hornby brake third, otherwise Comet make a kit.

The loco would almost certainly have been a Midland Johnson 0-4-4T. Now if Hornby were to make that and a driving trailer to match their other coaches...............

Phil Tattershall

Archived