Scaleforum 2015 - 19/20 September

Flymo748

Coming soon is the Scalefour Society’s annual exhibition “Scaleforum” which will take place on Saturday and Sunday 19 & 20 September 2015 at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium.

Full details, including the listings of layouts and traders, and a free downloadable show guide are available on the Scalefour Society website at www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/2015

If you have any questions at all about the show or the Scalefour Society, please ask them here, or email enquiries@scalefour.org

The Scalefour Society aims to continue to bring visitors to the show some of the very best of 4mm scale railway modelling and the broad mix of attractions that have been enjoyed for many years, with high quality layouts, knowledgeable demonstrators and a wide range of traders to meet all possible model making needs.

Advance booking

It’s possible to beat the queues to enter with the Society’s online ticket sales. Advance tickets are on sale via the Society’s website.  Visitors can buy their tickets online at http://www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/tickets to save time and get early entry 15 minutes before the main opening time.

Tickets are valid for the entire weekend, allowing visitors to enjoy the show on both days, perhaps returning on the Sunday to have a more in-depth look at the layouts and to spend more time chatting with demonstrators on the second day of the show.

The layouts

As always, the layouts at Scaleforum are the main reason that people come and this year we have continued to provide a wide range of different periods and types.

Cadhey Sidings

Cadhey Sidings is a first attempt by Chris Gough at building a layout to P4 standards and he has been brave enough to bring it to Scaleforum.  A “proof of concept” exercise, the layout depicts a freight siding and crossing, set on the single line Sidmouth branch north of Ottery St Mary around 1930.

Calderside

The layout represents the terminus of a fictitious Caledonian Railway branch, off the line from Carstairs to Lanark.

Clecklewyke

Clecklewyke is a small mill town on an imaginary ex-LNWR branch from Dewsbury to Bradford.

Coldfair Green

Coldfair Green opens a window into the leisurely pace of life at an East Anglian terminal station in the age of steam. 

Fryers Lane

Fryers Lane is another first attempt at working to P4 standards being built as a scenic test track in P4 having previously modelled in EM. The track layout is based on Bloxwich on the Walsall–Rugeley line in the West Midlands in the late 1980s.

Longwood Edge

This portrayal of L&Y and LNWR railways in Edwardian West Yorkshire by Don Leeper and Iain Rice is now nearing basic completion. The setting is the side-valley of the river Colne that lies beneath the scarp of Longwood Edge, on the western fringe of Huddersfield.

Lower Exbury

Lower Exbury is a first attempt at P4 modelling.  The layout represents the terminus of the South Hampshire Light Railway in the summer of 1952. 

Plumpton Green

In the early 19th century, Plumpton was a small settlement between Lewes and Ditchling in East Sussex. The model is very closely based on Plumpton as it was in the period 1900-1920.

Ravenscroft Sidings

Ravenscroft Sidings was built as an entry for the Scalefour Society’s Diesel and Electric Layout Challenge and has since been extended.  The layout is a depiction of part of the industrial heart of Teesside and features a steel distribution terminal with overhead gantry crane as well as a distribution centre served by the Speedlink network.

Saltfleet

Saltfleet is set in 1973 and represents the Lincolnshire branch line from Louth which sees a sparse freight service of fuel such as gasoil and kerosene delivered by rail for the local fuel merchant.

Whitton Junction Shed

Whitton Junction includes a loco shed, terminus station and goods yard.  Typical North Eastern railway features are included.

Special Guest layout - Fangfoss

Fangfoss is a 1:43.5 scale, narrow gauge layout set in Norway circa 1900.  The layout represents a passing station on the Randsfjordban, on the east side of the main mountain chain and north-west of Oslo.

So don’t forget!

Scaleforum 2015 – Stoke Mandeville Stadium – 19 & 20 September 2015

Prices on the door: Adults - £9       Society Members - £6

Tickets are valid for both days. Partners and accompanied children are admitted free

We look forward to seeing you there...

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Marketing Manager

• RMweb Premium

Fryers Lane

Fryers Lane is another first attempt at working to P4 standards being built as a scenic test track in P4 having previously modelled in EM. The track layout is based on Bloxwich on the Walsall–Rugeley line in the West Midlands in the late 1980s.

The frantic last minute panic to get Fryers Lane ready for Scaleforum can be followed on my layout thread here

• RMweb Gold

I will be there both days mostly on the Wild Swan Books stand. If anyone is staying over I plan to get along to the Hop Pole on the Friday night and possibly on the Saturday too, so if anyone want to join us let me know.

Ah, times change, but you just can't escape!  ;)

• RMweb Gold

The Devon Riviera Area Group (a number are also members on here in the 'Noble Realm' of SWAG!) will be having a small area to show what we, as an area group, do.

There will be a table manned by members to demonstrate various things like building coaches, sprung wagon underframes, resistance soldering (not decided exactly which of these yet!) and maybe other stuff. The demos will be changing throughout the day. Yours truly will be demonstrating basic ground construction and the new high voltage static grass machine.

Some of our member's models will be on show along with a couple of boards of the 'New' Bodmin layout to show progress in its rebuilding and some of its original exquisite buildings built by Norman Soloman will be shown..

Do pop in to see us and make yourselves known.

John

Just one week to go...

I've already started selecting the models that I'll be bringing with me to show on the Scalefour Society stand.   And for those of you that have started filling your wallets with crisp fivers to spend on all of the goodies available, here is the list of traders:

http://www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/2015/traders

Unfortunately since this web page went up we have had  two late cancellations from traders, both for personal reasons mean that both 247 developments and Railroom Electronics are unable to attend. At this late stage it has not been possible to find replacements but we will be making good use of the space.

In the past a few people have commented that they would like space to sit down actually in the exhibition space itself so this year this has been provided. We will even provide tables as well at some sitting places, another thing that has been requested.

I look forward to seeing you at Stoke Mandeville next week!

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

Hello

Yes, we are taking the Risborough Club Test Track along to Scaleforum, this will have the following for you to use:

1 off N Gauge DCC or DC

1 of P4 DCC only

1 of P4 DCC or DC

2 off OO Gauge DCC or DC

1 off O Gauge DCC or DC

We are working on adding a S7 track, but this is not operational yet.

We will have a choice of DC controllers, plus our DCC system is a Digitrax Superchief.

I hope to be there on the Sunday.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

Hello

Yes, we are taking the Risborough Club Test Track along to Scaleforum, this will have the following for you to use:

1 off N Gauge DCC or DC

1 of P4 DCC only

1 of P4 DCC or DC

2 off OO Gauge DCC or DC

1 off O Gauge DCC or DC

Excellent. I shall be playing the national anthem of the DDR at full volume whilst 18.201 runs....

post-6879-0-02466700-1442489251_thumb.jpg

Slight change for me at Scalefourum, as I have just returned from A&E with a broken ankle, so doubt I will be doing much work on the Wild Swan stand.

Just for the record I did not go to A & E to get my ankle broken just had it diagnosed there!

Feet up for six weeks then. At least you'll be Ok for Christmas.

All the best

Slight change for me at Scalefourum, as I have just returned from A&E with a broken ankle, so doubt I will be doing much work on the Wild Swan stand.

Just for the record I did not go to A & E to get my ankle broken just had it diagnosed there!

Suppose that blows out the pub visits David?

• RMweb Premium

I will still try and do the pub I can get around with a moon boot and crutches,

I had 6 weeks on cruthes after an ankle op, I did manage to get around Railwells, but it nigh killed me, it was worth it though.

A bit of advice do not attempt to go down stairs after having more than a couple of beers, the results can be somewhat painful, at least if you're not allowed to put the injured foot to the floor.

I hope it mends soon.

• RMweb Premium

And I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll be on the 'Starting in P4' demo, so if anyone's got any questions come and say hello and I'll do my best to help.

Please, it's going to be very lonely otherwise!

London Road Models will, as usual, be present. In addition to good stocks of their loco, carriage and other kits, the latest batch of Resistance Soldering Units will also be available (unless there has been a rush of online orders since expoEM North).

www.londonroadmodels.co.uk

A number of LNWR Society publications of interest to modellers will also be available.

Archived