Scaleforum 2015 - 19/20 September

Flymo748

Haven't we been here before, and not got anywhere?

Exactly my point!

We get nowhere simply because we seem to have two different definitions.

In some of the posts above we have folk who are clearly members of the societies declaring in one breath that "it is not about gauge" and then in the next breath others claiming that it is all about "wheel standards".

No wonder we are confused.

There are many very good (some better than many P4 models) that can claim to be fine scale - in all respects other than track. Chris Nevard's layouts are often quoted in this respect (but there are many others). Just because the modeller has the track to the fine scale does not automatically make the rest of the layout to the same standard. The intention may be to get there one day. But then the same is also true for many OO models.

I still agree with the comment above that the Scalefour and EMGS should consider a merger for the benefit of all and clarity. That is why a 4FS classification really does speak to a wider audience. I know the original divorce was very acrimonious by it is about time they joined forces with a better view of the future of the hobby.

Exactly my point!

I know the original divorce was very acrimonious by it is about time they joined forces with a better view of the future of the hobby.

I don't think there was a divorce, an attempt was made to create a relationship but it was rebuffed by the EMGS. This was in the aftermath of the Studiolith disaster when P4 (or S4 if you prefer) seemed to be about to collapse in a heap. This incipient collapse gave the P4 side absolutely no negotiating position in a deal with the EMGS who were playing a truly hard-nosed game. The S4 contingent went away disappointed and created the Scalefour Society.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

I think to divorce you have to have married, not just refused a proposal of marriage.

Otherwise I agree with lots (not all) of points everyone is making..  again.

Now,  has anyone got anything positive to say?

Any, show and tell

Favourite bits

A photo from the show

that kind of stuff

Andy

• RMweb Gold

It might not need any help. Once the population of the place skyrockets with all the new houses being built on what was to be Tescos attendance figures might boom with all them families needing something to do on a weekend.

P

Quite, they certainly won't be able to spend their weekends in Tesco.

• RMweb Gold

Haven't we been here before, and not got anywhere?

Where are you trying to get? What is wrong with the present situation? It seems entirely satisfactory to me. The two societies appear to be happily co-existing. They both stage excellent shows where members of both or none happily meet up to chat about model trains. Those clearing up afterwards seldom find bloodstains on the floor.

Martin.

Where are you trying to get? What is wrong with the present situation? It seems entirely satisfactory to me. The two societies appear to be happily co-existing. They both stage excellent shows where members of both or none happily meet up to chat about model trains. Those clearing up afterwards seldom find bloodstains on the floor.

Martin.

I agree, which is why it seems pointless coming back here again! Although it's a bit of fun winding people up about it :jester:. I'm happy with EM, although if I'd started when the Studiolith dust had settled, and I'd been a few years older, I would probably have gone for P4. The EMGS is fine for me (although I'm not a member at the moment) as they supply useful bits, and do P4 as well to help with my broad gauge interests. It's just a shame they didn't hold ExpoEM in my home town when I actually lived there!

I still agree with the comment above that the Scalefour and EMGS should consider a merger for the benefit of all and clarity. That is why a 4FS classification really does speak to a wider audience. I know the original divorce was very acrimonious by it is about time they joined forces with a better view of the future of the hobby.

Perhaps you should join both Societies, get elected onto the committees and arrange their amalgamation.

Martin.

Like you Martin, and as a member of both Societies, I find little wrong with the present situation. It seems to be that people who aren't or haven't been members find problems that don't really exist.

Edited for spelling/grammar

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lower Exbury was advertised as being up for sale at Scaleforum. Has it been sold?

Regards

I'm not sure, as I wasn't at the show and didn't know the layout was for sale.

However, I'm sure one of the regular DRAG members on here will be able to comment.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure, as I wasn't at the show and didn't know the layout was for sale.

However, I'm sure one of the regular DRAG members on here will be able to comment.

I understand that it has been sold. Brian (Jo's dad) said to me that it went before Scaleforum.

Archived