Scaleforum 2015 - 19/20 September

Flymo748

They have, there are long threads on the S4 forums about the future of the event...

John

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

I have taken a look at the thread in question and I was struck that the same, small, number of people who are commenting and how some of the comments are quickly closed down by other contributors. There doesn't seem to be a structured, universal approach to the matter of gathering the membership's views by the society.

Having said that, the comments I took a fancy to were re the costs of demonstrators (always a good idea to keeps costs down) and possibility of smaller, regional shows. In support of the latter it's very noticeable how crowded the S4N and the Wells shows get. I was also struck by the perceived need of members to have a social, societal gatherings and not the conventional model railway exhibition.

Perhaps I should butt out of this as I'm not a member, but I would miss S4um if it disappeared so I feel I have an interest of a sort.

Regards

I was surprised and disappointed by the attendance at this show. Perhaps the organising committee need to be asking Scalefour Society members what they want of their forum. It cannot go on like this, clearly members have to show up if the exhibition is to continue, and it's too expensive at £9 to attract the generality of the hobby. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this isn't the last Scaleforum.

That is a great shame.

But have to admit that I couldn't make it this year a short round trip to Paris meant that I had to forgo the delights.

I do not understand why the attendance should be down. £9 cannot be the excuse, that is not expensive, though the travelling and any accommodation could push the cost up. Oh and the almost inevitable impulse purchases.

Everybody cannot be moving to 7mm!

This and the EMGS show are probably the two most important shows of the year for 4mm along with Railex as a general all inclusive show.

I would hate to see this as the "last show" surely not!

Perhaps some serious head scratching and polling of the forums is required to see if there are any consistent issues. I have to say I preferred Leatherhead, but Aylesbury is much more central and the facilities (parking aside) are about the best for any show venue.

At Expo EM North, Chris informed it would be available in 6 weeks.....so only 5 weeks to wait!.

Sod it, I'll buy a 47xx kit from Brassmasters if they haven't already sold out, then.

Everyone in the S4 Society has their own views on whether Scaleforum has a future, but as an institution it's done pretty well to have lasted more than three decades. The reason why I am drawn to it is because it is one of just two "local" shows (in the sense that it's local to NW London / Herts) that I go to every year which gives me a sporting chance of seeing and buying the bits I need, as well as giving the car a bit of a run.

I would guess that a large proportion of those members who don't attend don't really give two hoots whether it goes on or not; there are the regional S4 shows that go on anyway.

You don't know what you've got until you've lost it.

I have taken a look at the thread in question and I was struck that the same, small, number of people who are commenting and how some of the comments are quickly closed down by other contributors. There doesn't seem to be a structured, universal approach to the matter of gathering the membership's views by the society.

I had a similar experience with another gauge-specific society a couple of years ago.  "We like things how they are, so why should we change things to please new people? They aren't members, the show isn't for them".

But they could have become members. 

I will admit that I have never been to a Scaleforum, but reading your comment did bring back some memories.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day there today, some great content, friendly showgoers (instead of the po-faced visitors we are all familiar with at general shows). I spent more than I did at other shows this year. I hope everyone enjoyed it and I hope the visitor numbers tomorrow are buoyant. Maybe it was something as simple as thick fog deterring early starters from further afield and a lovely early autumn day *if* numbers were affected.

I'm glad that Horse is living dangerously and buying the 47xx. I believe that the above comments show the difficulty the organising team are up against. How do we change what do we change...etc. I have nailed my colours to the mast as I have been 3 times now to scalefourum... Not important some would say... I say that is after coming from Australia! I do hope the show continues in some format. No matter what as P4 modelling is my interest and it is a nice excuse to get to the UK. It is the only exhibition in the UK I have made it too so I can not compare.

Andy you I think you may have hit the nail on the head as it is a friendly show... Every one knows every one else or are willing to discuss things with strangers as there is the common interest. This is the thing that needs to be maintained!

Any how I look forward to getting to Scaleforum in the future again... It will be more than 1 year and I would like to think less than 10!

Dates for Scaleforum 2016 were announced on the Scalefour forum a fortnight ago.

24/25 September, same venue. Don't panic... don't panic.

Some say a quiet show. The traders I know love it, as it's one of the best from an income point of view despite them all saying "times are hard".

P

Some say a quiet show. The traders I know love it, as it's one of the best from an income point of view despite them all saying "times are hard".

That's maybe because buyers have time to feel comfortable when looking at things to buy, plus no difficulty in getting their wallets out.

Well attended, crowded shows tend to have less spending per head of visitor.

I am not there this year, but I have friends visiting on Sunday with a list of items to buy for me.

Perhaps I can speak as some one who doesnt  do p4 .I attended some  as it used to be handy at Leatherhead .I could nip over to my daughter at Lightwater and stay a few days and see Dart Castings who I do work for .I also like Surrey in autumn if its sunny .I thought it was/is a good exhibition .I could get parts for 00  and look at books etc and some superb layouts .I must confess that the main reason the layouts are great is not that they are p4 but just plain well designed and built.I didnt  go to Aylsbury as I dont need to at present having already seen the Dart peeeps at Brackley  this year but keep up the good work ,plough your own furrow etc.

That wasn't a bad Sunday at all. 74mpg for the trip there, not exceeding 65mph. Bonus points to the fella who came dressed as a Pashtun tribal elder, although I thought white was supposed to be the colour of mourning....

The Brassmasters stand is crammed with all sorts of goodies these days, and they'll need a second table sooner or later.

Kudos to the team running the test track - I got to run 18.201 with Doppelstock in endless circuits on the 16.5 all day as an antidote to wall-to-wall P4. Rather than watch layouts, I got to talk to some amusing people: Tim Easter, John Farmer, Stella Artois amongst them. Even the fella who runs Golden Age showed interest in 18.201, and he got himself a full rundown on the story of the real thing. A very social(ist) day: "Rückwarts, Kameraden!!"

post-6879-0-19714200-1442791753_thumb.jpg

78mpg for the trip home. What's not to like?

I am Penlan's personal shopper so I attended today. I am not an S4 person but a humble EM modeller but I was there with three friends because the trade is good, you can talk to the traders, unlike for instance Warley and hence pick up ideas. From a social point of view the show is also good. There were some good layouts but some which didn't impress. This is supposed to be the very best of 4mm finescale modelling. Also there were very few layouts. I await brickbats but the comments are meant to be taken constructively.

That wasn't a bad Sunday at all. 74mpg for the trip there, not exceeding 65mph.

78mpg for the trip home. What's not to like?

That's a remarkably cheap, and fast, horse.

Quote (.....Arguing the environmental benefits of different cars is rather like deciding whether Hitler or Stalin was the greater humanitarian......), Unquote.

Back from a really enjoyable, if tiring, weekend at the show.  Glad I made it in the end, what with my health taking a bit of a downturn at the beginning of the week, so getting around on a stick instead of moping around at home was by far the preferred thing to do.

Great to catch up with various people, as usual.  Seemed a little quiet yesterday, but today felt much busier.

A view from above from the Saturday morning, but this time looking towards the usual high level vantage point of the seats above at the front of the hall.

post-6712-0-34993400-1442775827_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to next year's show already!

Nice photo Tim. Good use of the pole. I actually think that not only have you caught me in action driving a train on ravenscroft sidings but is that actually brian Hanson on his stand???

;-)

Jon.

Thanks Jon!  Yes, it makes up rather for having managed to crop you out on the Ravenscroft one today.  Here's a crop from the full size version, which shows Mike is there too, plus Andy Y caught in the act on Fryers Lane.....

post-6712-0-28905400-1442777898_thumb.jpg

Well, it ain't me!

Mike.

The camera never lies, Mike ;)

• RMweb Premium

Shows like this and the EMGS EXPO EM events don't really fit with the normal run of exhibitions. That is probably a blindingly obvious statement to make but I am not sure that such shows would actually benefit from a big increase in attendance.

As they are, they are really social gatherings for members and perhaps a bit of a showcase in that somebody with an interest in modelling to finer standards might visit one to see what sort of things are being done in that scale/gauge.

I would be quite surprised if, say, somebody modelling in N gauge went along and decided to get rid of what they have and start again in P4.

If huge numbers of general public and non modellers attended, it would change the atmosphere completely and things like barriers might be needed for layouts.

I looked at the list of layouts going and decided that as there was nothing that aroused my interest that I hadn't seen before, I wouldn't make the trip this year.

Most of the traders I had seen at EXPO EM North at Manchester  so it would have been a probable 6 hour round trip mainly for the layouts. It would have had to have been something spectacular to make me drive that far and I just didn't see anything like that in the publicity.

As long as the Society bank balance can stand losing money on such events and the members are happy for some of their subs to go to pay for such losses, then they should stay just as they are in my view.

That is a friendly gathering place for like minded modellers to get together, see some modelling, buy some stuff and have a natter with those folk that you only see at shows but in a more relaxed atmosphere than "normal" shows.

Long may they continue.

Tony G

Archived