KIRLEY JUNCTION

kirley

Merlin (RJD),

It is actually a 'Q' Kit (resin) which I had to upgrade a lot as it was very wobbly.   It must have been made in a very soft rubber mould.  I milled out the sides and made new ones from aluminium sheet.   I played about with the windows to get them to look more real.

I didn't know MTK made a kit of this prototype!.   As you say the Silver Fox one just doesn't look quite right.   It seems to represent the original Crossley powered A class.

I made an under frame from a piece of aluminium channel cut to size.   The drive is by a central motor by shafts to Athearn gearboxes with all axles driven.  

The gearboxes are the EMD Hi-Adhesion type with unequal axle spacing which is correct for the A class.   I made the bogie cosmetic side frames from plastic.  

Jeremy.

Is it Kirley or Kieran?.

Anyway, regardless of the drive your A  class look V. good and very nostalgic for me.   Those were often nearly black with oily filth.

To complement your CIE  2509 - ex SLNCR 'B'  I attach a picture of my version in the original green & off white plus my GNR  'A' and a view of the 'other' side of my tin van with the boiler access double doors.

post-16342-0-85212500-1496440053_thumb.jpg

post-16342-0-13881700-1496440067_thumb.jpg

post-16342-0-09476800-1496440207_thumb.jpg

post-16342-0-19398200-1496440306_thumb.jpg

post-16342-0-27216300-1496440345_thumb.jpg

post-16342-0-27749000-1496440376_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I love that MED, especially the roof and under floor details.  Your models are excellent and should be posted in your own thread rather than being buried in  mine.  More photos of your Railcars and Tin Van and their background please.

Kirley (or is it Kieran?),

Thank you for the positive comments.

I could 'pose' my stuff on my existing 'scratch built rail cars' thread.   Of course the MED car is just one of the set of three cars.   I sent the diagrams to Alan of Worsley Wks and he made the etches.

Am I right in saying that your 6 & 7 are made from etches?.

I have to scratch make my stuff as there are no convenient sources of donor coaches etc. in this isolated part of the world.   There is no model train shop.

Jeremy.

Am I right in saying that your 6 & 7 are made from etches?.

Jeremy.

Yes they are from Worsley Works, I could not believe it when Allan did those for me, I'm sure he did not sell many of them.

Kirley and Nelson,

I will put any future postings on my existing 'scratch built railcars' thread to avoid cluttering up this Kirley thread.   I had put them on the Kirley thread as it seems to get a lot of visitors whereas there was very little response to my 'scratch built railcars' thread.

Jeremy.

Superb modelling Jeremy.

Can you tell us more about the GNR railcar A please?

Regards,

Glover

Glover,

I will reply to this on my own 'thread'  - "scratch built railcars" to avoid cluttering up Kirley's one.

Jeremy.

• 1 month later...

Kirley,

Your NIR 80 class looks great.

Did you make those yourself?. Look most professional and Realistic.

Jeremy.

Thanks Jeremy, I have built 2 MIR Class 80's 3 Car Sets and bought a 2 Car Set build by Colin Smith and added an Intermediate coach, not sure which Set you are referring to probably Colin Smiths?

Still hoping you will post more photographs of your builds under your own thread.

Kirley,

I was looking at your Youtube post.     NIR 80 Class      69.

They are all very realistic.   The one I particularly like is the maroon front/lower body with light grey upper body & darker grey roof and off white 'diamond' on front.

The whole effect is very real (for all of them).

How do you do the silvery (chrome) front window surrounds?. 

Yes, I will have to post some of my own efforts but compared to yours they look a bit crude although they do run OK.

I am due to do a write up on my 1 & 4 and the tin van for Alan on his NIL.

I did some time ago make up a 121 and a 141 GM (MIR).   They were the white metal kits and I can't say they look all that realistic.   Features that particularly need 'upgrading' are the cab front windows which should have curved corners rather than the sharp ones on the kits.  The centre cab window on the 121 should be smaller.   It is interesting how such a small seeming detail makes all the difference.   It is like on a steam loco where the detail of the chimney can completely change the appearance of the loco.

Jeremy.

Kirley,

I was looking at your Youtube post.     NIR 80 Class      69.

They are all very realistic.   The one I particularly like is the maroon front/lower body with light grey upper body & darker grey roof and off white 'diamond' on front.

The whole effect is very real (for all of them).

How do you do the silvery (chrome) front window surrounds?. 

Yes, I will have to post some of my own efforts but compared to yours they look a bit crude although they do run OK.

I am due to do a write up on my 1 & 4 and the tin van for Alan on his NIL.

I did some time ago make up a 121 and a 141 GM (MIR).   They were the white metal kits and I can't say they look all that realistic.   Features that particularly need 'upgrading' are the cab front windows which should have curved corners rather than the sharp ones on the kits.  The centre cab window on the 121 should be smaller.   It is interesting how such a small seeming detail makes all the difference.   It is like on a steam loco where the detail of the chimney can completely change the appearance of the loco.

Jeremy.

In original format the 121 Class centre cab window was the same size as the other cab front windows. It was only in later times ,sometime during the changeover to Irish Rail livery (late 80's early 90's) that the 121's acquired a smaller center cab window!!

Magpie 51,

Thanks for that.   I had seen different sizes in pictures and did not know the size had been changed.

I still intend to round the edges on the windows on my 121 & 141 to make them more realistic.

Regards.