Bachmann Dynamis & Hornby pullman lights

paulaspinell

I have a number of Hornby 12 wheel Pullman cars(with lighting) and when I put 3 or more on my layout the handset & base station loose contact :scratchhead:(some kind of interference) & when I remove them all is working again fine(I am happy with Dynamis & it works well for me :)) . Does anyone know a way round this, yes the obvious is to disconnect the lights which is easy, but am not too fussed if the lights are not working & it is not a big issue. I am just curious. any thoughts out there?

Hi

Assuming there is no full or partial short circuit on any carriages lighting (Can you read the current demand of each carriage?), then the most probable cause is the capacitors in the carriages internal stay alive units causing a momentary inrush of power as they all try to charge simultaneously?   What happens if you only allow one carriage at a time to become lit by placing them one at a time onto the DCC powered rails allowing a couple of seconds between each placement?

Edit to add... The Dynamis power supply is AFAIK rated at 2.3Amp. So unless you have lots of locos already running or several sound locos running, you're unlikely to exceed the 2.3Amp with a few lit carriages! That said the Dynamis in known to have one of the fastest operating overload cut devices found on DCC equipment.  This is why I suggest adding one carriage at a time.

Archived