Legoman Sound for Kernow Thumpers

mevaman

Kernow have decided to fit Legoman sound to the latest batch of Thumpers that have recently arrived. The sound is 'proper job' as we Cornish say! The shop will be fitting these over the next few weeks. See the Kernow weekly newsletters for any more information.

• Like 1

Kernow have decided to fit Legoman sound to the latest batch of Thumpers that have recently arrived. The sound is 'proper job' as we Cornish say! The shop will be fitting these over the next few weeks. See the Kernow weekly newsletters for any more information.

This sound project has been specially produced for Kernow from very recent recordings, any Kernow customer who has the original sounds on the first batch can have them re-blown via www.dckits-devideos.co.uk.  This new project is available directly from Kernow for those who have not ordered a sound one.

I had the Kernow original sounds but wasn't happy with them, so had mine reblown with Ian's earlier sound project. If the new one is better still, I wouldn't mind another reblow. Has Bif posted any videos of the new sounds yet (I couldn't find it with a quick search)?

The latest one has all-new engine sounds and many other enhanced features following a recording session at the Spa Valley Railway. Charlie and I spent today at Steve Brammer's house recording a tranche of videos on his excellent layout. These included several of the new Thumper. They need to be edited and captioned etc but will then be posted on You Tube, and on the Kernow website in the case of the Thumper. Watch this space.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to getting my sound fitted thumper and giving it a good thrash (or should that be thump?) round my test track.

Quick question Bif (sorry probably belongs on another thread) i'm using an NCE Powercab, and have seen in the instructions for your sound chips that there could be issues using the momentum button. Would it be worth me re-mapping this button, incase someone 'accidentally' tries altering the momentum? (Not me I should add).

I've never had an issue using it with my us outline stuff with qsi and soundtraxx chips, so wondered what the difference is with the European chips?

Cheers, Chris

Looking forward to getting my sound fitted thumper and giving it a good thrash (or should that be thump?) round my test track.

Quick question Bif (sorry probably belongs on another thread) i'm using an NCE Powercab, and have seen in the instructions for your sound chips that there could be issues using the momentum button. Would it be worth me re-mapping this button, incase someone 'accidentally' tries altering the momentum? (Not me I should add).

I've never had an issue using it with my us outline stuff with qsi and soundtraxx chips, so wondered what the difference is with the European chips?

Cheers, Chris

I don't think you can remap this button!

Dave

I believe Dave is correct. The issue is outlined in a useful thread by Paul Chetter above entitled momentum idiosyncrasies. Basically the NCE controller will modify the inertia settings of the chip if you press the momentum button. Nothing you can do to the chip can prevent this happening. However, the affected CV's (3 & 4) are easily re-written if you press it by mistake and I'm always happy to provide the 'factory settings' on request (though it's not difficult to find suitable values yourself by experimentation).

Bif

• RMweb Premium

Delighted to hear the next batch of Thumpers have got Bif's sound project in them - I ordered one ages ago and look forward to it arriving.

Re the query on Powercab momentum, there is a very simple fix that is somewhere on RMweb. Bascially you take the back off the Powercab and put a bit of insulation tape between the momentum button contacts. I managed to make the modification in about 5 minutes.

I believe Dave is correct. The issue is outlined in a useful thread by Paul Chetter above entitled momentum idiosyncrasies. Basically the NCE controller will modify the inertia settings of the chip if you press the momentum button. Nothing you can do to the chip can prevent this happening. However, the affected CV's (3 & 4) are easily re-written if you press it by mistake and I'm always happy to provide the 'factory settings' on request (though it's not difficult to find suitable values yourself by experimentation).

Bif

Not wishing to hijack this thread too much I will say, again, that when you get a new chip, record the numbers in cv2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 54, 63, 64 & 65. If you alter any, make a note of the new ones but keep the originals as well. Then if you mess up , you can return to any earlier settings.

Dave

Cheers, Chris

Chris,

Yes you will have had, you've just not noticed it. The problem is with the implementation of the feature by NCE. It's nothing to do with the decoder, European or otherwise, it's about what the momentum button does to your decoder.

There is a degree of compounding of the issue with ESU since they have decided to use a different multiplier than everyone else, all other European sound decoders follow the NMRA standards in this respect. This can cause problems if consisting, since different momentum settings can ensue.

Some sound projects only work correctly when a large amount of inertia and momentum are set; having NCE calculate a value then write it to your decoder whn you press the Momentum Button causes unpredictability in the sound operation.

However, it is easilly rectified when you know what causes it.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Well, I alter the momentum settings through the CV's myself, but at exhibitions it has been known for the momentum button to have been used to reduce it. I guess fortunately I have the usb interface for the PC, so can save all the proper CV settings there, but I think i'll whip out the insulation tape before the next on to ensure nothing goes wrong. Cheers for the warnings.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Putting this question here, as I think it belongs here. Has anyone else noticed that when using F1 to start the engine, that the guards whistle sound plays as well? Or is this just unique to my unit?

• RMweb Gold

Geep,

I think you'll find that you've got F11 turned on, so when you turn the sound on via F1 you're getting F11 played at the same time. Turn off F11 and it will be fine, the project doesn't do that as standard.

Bif

Cheers Bif, I did think it was something like that.

For anybody thinking of fitting a sound decoder to their thumper I can highly recommend bif's version. Takes a bit of getting used to in order to get the engine revs up without the unit speeding up but I like it so much I leave it ticking over even when not in use (and I can't help but set the compressor running rather more often than necessary). I just wish I'd got the sound decoder fitted to my second one too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have a quick question. Is there any way of disabling the air release (when the parking brake is applied iirc) coming on automatically when the unit stops.

I only seem to recall that they only applied the parking brake when the service was terminating. If the unit was to be moved to a siding once the passengers were off, I don't seem to remember them doing that.

Maybe someone will correct me....

For those of you who like Thumpers, have a listen.    Charlie

Hi Charlie, sounds much better than the original.

I bought my Thumper  (31-236ZDS) with the original Kernow fitted sound, how do i get it upgraded and how much will it cost.

Ray.

Hi Charlie, sounds much better than the original.

I bought my Thumper  (31-236ZDS) with the original Kernow fitted sound, how do i get it upgraded and how much will it cost.

Ray.

The original recordings were 'OK' but we thought that this unit deserved more, so arranged with the Spa Valley at Tunbridge Wells to have a full day out officially to record there Thumper, the sounds recorded rely on the fitting of 'Good Speakers' as the Bachmann arrangement is 'OK' but with a little thought can easily be improved.

Private PM Sent.      Ian,Charlie & Steve 'The Sound Team'

In response to Geep7's enquiry. To silence the 'automatic brake dump on stopping' sound (which is in sound slot 2), change the following CV's in this order;

CV31 to 16

CV32 to 1

CV267 to 0

To return it to the factory setting, follow the same procedure but set CV267 to 40.

Bif

• RMweb Gold

In response to Geep7's enquiry. To silence the 'automatic brake dump on stopping' sound (which is in sound slot 2), change the following CV's in this order;

CV31 to 16

CV32 to 1

CV267 to 0

To return it to the factory setting, follow the same procedure but set CV267 to 40.

Bif

Thanks for the info. Bif.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I've got my Kernow 1122 model with sound up and running now (having just purchased my Z21 DCC Controller). This is my first venture into DCC Sound and I have to say, I'm over the moon with it.

However there is just one thing for me that lets it down, it's the whistle sound. The recording is of a whistle that is out of adjustment and I'd prefer to have a properly functioning whistle as this is how I remember the Hampshire units as a child living in Rye in the sixties.

I've read somewhere on here that a proper whistle sound is available, but I can't find that thread (I'm new to this forum thingy, this is my first post !).

I wonder if anyone can help me in contacting Legomanbiffo ? I know he's a nice helpful chap, I met him and chatted with him at Alexandra Palace last year