LT colours in spray paint

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently building a model of Kensington Olympia in n scale. Having just acquired a Parkwood models battery loco kit it will shortly need painting.

Is there a car spray can that can substitute for the correct colour or even a Tamiya acrylic that could be a stand in. I understand the locos got repainted to yellow during 1980? My layout is set in 1979/80 so can I get away with a red one?

Thanks

Andy

There were still battery locos lurking around in crimson in 1983 at the LT 50year celebrations at Acton Works though quite a few were in yellow by that time. The red colour you're looking for is called "Unlined Lake" which is basically LMS Maroon but applied over a red oxide undercoat/primer. The colour of the undercoat has a marked effect on the final colour where crimson is concerned. Personally I use the spray cans sold by "Just Like The Real Thing" but any motor accessory shop will probably have cans of Rover Damask red or Ford Burgundy Red which are close enough. As I said, the undercoat colour makes the difference.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't used it yet, but I have a can of Vw Gambia red from Halfords for an LT project I've got on the back burner after seeing that recommended for LT Maroon.

As a slight thread hijack, although on the same subject, can anyone recommend a suitable green for the LT sentinels?

Cheers

Dan

Archived