Kato N gauge Tram system

PaulRhB

Thank so much Paul. Much appreciated.

I'm looking into making them proper nice models, rolling freely, taking curves and points, unpowered without a motor present, but with all bells and wisthles in/on them. Complete as the Kato Portam/Centram, and more even, just no motor in them.

Regards,

Michel

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Here are a few videos related to the Kato Portram, and tram operations in general - although much of it also applies to automating general N, 009, or On18 operations.

The first shows two Kato trams on Tomix track, and using the Tomix TCS #5563 automated operation unit. This controller offers 8 pre-loaded programs, including this one (mode 7) which alternately sends two trains/trams from sidings at a station.  A variation allows each train/tram to run in opposite directions.  Many of the programs call for two sensors on each track, the first to initiate deceleration and the second to ensure a hard stop before the turnout is fouled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=purwCvZRlbM

I discovered that it is possible to "clone" some of the programs by adding additional turnouts and sensors, so long as they follow the mandated sequence for that program.  Those skilled at electronics could design their own automated controls, although it would require sourcing many individual elements and designing the required circuit.   

What I like about the #5563 is that it's "plug and play", with multiple options, although you do need to purchase sensors along with the basic unit and a power pack.  This video shows mode 7 cloned, which I think would be quite useful for an exhibition layout with two sidings at a station in the displayed area of the loop, and the other two hidden behind the skyboard (substitute the appropriate British terms as needed ;-).  If the punters ask how this is being done with your hands free whilst talking to them, you could tell them that it is all off the shelf components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U2WyNqtTIY

Here is a video showing mode 5 (cloned), which is also applicable for trams.  This one only uses a single sensor on each track, and careful placement along with a judicious speed setting is required to keep the trams from running off the track.  Of course, I could have installed bumpers, but what fun would that be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOZHuzbW-N4

Mode 3 is a double switchback operation, and I can also see this being used for an exhibition layout with a longer middle section, and changes in track elevation on all levels.  This could be incorporated into a (009 ?) mining operation, with the mine itself on the top level and a truck or barge dump at the bottom.  Of course, unless you're quite clever, the actual transfer of material would need to be simulated.  I recall a cartoon of a loaded timber car being returned to the logging area, "What's the matter Joe - the guys down at the mill didn't want those logs after all?"

One other note on the 5563 that I should make here.  Others have reported using it all day at shows, but I noticed some erratic behavior while running mode 3 for an extended period.  Apparently it can get overheated and confused, with subsequent erratic operation.  The solution is to set the delay time to a high value, say 10-15 seconds - which is actually quite reasonable for a switchback operation.

Also - I believe it does expect Tomix sensors and turnouts, but there is no reason why you couldn't use flex track between the turnouts.  You would likely want to camouflage the turnouts for an 009 (or On18) application.  There are also not quite so obvious sensors than those shown in the videos, but some have reported less reliable operation with them - although that is not my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQIA6fD2NLs

This last video is of a tram bash I did, combining two three-segment Tomytec units (similar to the Piccolo) into a five segment tram.  I used two power units, mostly for the convenience of taking advantage of the incorporated hinging sections.  However, based on horror stories I've heard of the Modemo Hiroshima Green Mover, I'm also glad I did this for operational reasons.  I believe the gist of the problem was that the unpowered sections wouldn't straighten out properly after going around a curve.  My test loop here includes R140 turnouts, and you can see that the Tomytec power chassis handles them with ease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B22evuRA7UQ

Charles

• 6 months later...

Is it just dead or trying but locked up? Could be a tiny bit of flash or dirt in the first gear, try rotating it slowly and clearing out grooves with end of a pin.

Gears are free, I had to put them all back together! Motor runs ok when powered up, just doesn’t seem to run when on the track and lights don’t come on in one direction so I’m thinking it’s not picking up the juice properly but it makes noise sense

Hi mate on post 42 where did you get the wonderful backscene from ?. I’ve just bought a kato starter set and doing a project with my twins. Just need to find some decent priced modern city buildings that aren’t as expensive as Kato! Lol

• RMweb Gold

It's a picture I found on the net and had printed on matt vinyl. It was done with a couple of other images on one strip which spread the cost of their high postage costs.

I use Printed.com and 4x1ft comes out at £18 including vat plus £8 courier.

I use the custom size option and scale the image to fit.

https://www.printed.com/order-wizard/product-options/self-adhesive-vinyl

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate on post 42 where did you get the wonderful backscene from ?. I’ve just bought a kato starter set and doing a project with my twins. Just need to find some decent priced modern city buildings that aren’t as expensive as Kato! Lol

Have you considered something like the scalescenes idea? Take a trip to a city and photograph buildings from suitable vantage points and print them out on boxes made from plasticard or mounting board. Tomix also do fairly generic modern buildings and some are cheaper than Kato.

• 1 year later...
On 05/11/2011 at 14:11, Guest oldlugger said:

Hello Paul and all the others on this thread!

Do you know if the Arnold N gauge Düwag trams will run on the Kato tram track? These models probably have a deeper wheel flange than the Kato trams so might not sit in the flangeways of the track too well. Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Looked through the thread and no answer (that I can find) to your question. Yes Arnold Trams run fine on the UniTram Track as does pretty well every other N Gauge item of Stock that I have tried even including the Allegra. Look at the Kato Unitram Thread where I have done a link to my Vid of sundry bits of N running on my layout.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 28/03/2018 at 17:46, thirty2a said:

Gears are free, I had to put them all back together! Motor runs ok when powered up, just doesn’t seem to run when on the track and lights don’t come on in one direction so I’m thinking it’s not picking up the juice properly but it makes noise sense

Hi did you get your tram working again? I bought a couple second hand just before lockdown and they were both running iffy. So using a check lead I tried power on each wheel and at least 4 or 5 were not powering to the motor. Nothing to do with the chassis, you do not really want to get in there as you sort of found out. Was the pickup circuit that had been dislodged in the centre of the car, did a little fiddling around and gentle bending to keep things in place and all is well now.

22 hours ago, dunnyrail said:

Hi did you get your tram working again? I bought a couple second hand just before lockdown and they were both running iffy. So using a check lead I tried power on each wheel and at least 4 or 5 were not powering to the motor. Nothing to do with the chassis, you do not really want to get in there as you sort of found out. Was the pickup circuit that had been dislodged in the centre of the car, did a little fiddling around and gentle bending to keep things in place and all is well now.

to be honest I gave up on them. I removed the circuit and wired them direct but have changed to Tomix chassis and bodged a fit as they are bigger. The power bogies will end up green max kits as stand alone power bogies when i get around to doing the work. one is still in bits! You may find a clean will help though.

tony